Author Topic: Who is John Narrow from Perth wa  (Read 4913 times)

Offline mollipops1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who is John Narrow from Perth wa
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 June 16 09:30 BST (UK) »
The surname seems to have changed to Narrier over time. Mostly around Moora.

I wonder if this is an early reference to 'Johnny' as Narriel, in 1865?
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/66013854

The SWALSC document shows him as Johnny Narrioll/Narriel/Narrier.

There is also some early births for NARRAH and NARREA (not much of a leap to write 'NARROW' for a white man - presumably pretty ignorant about Noongar - who was making out the death certificate, even from NARRIER).

Heaps of NARRIER family at Moora Cemetery
http://www.carnamah.com.au/moora-cemetery

Offline AustraliaJack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 June 16 10:45 BST (UK) »
The surname seems to have changed to Narrier over time. Mostly around Moora.

I wonder if this is an early reference to 'Johnny' as Narriel, in 1865?
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/66013854

The SWALSC document shows him as Johnny Narrioll/Narriel/Narrier.

There is also some early births for NARRAH and NARREA (not much of a leap to write 'NARROW' for a white man - presumably pretty ignorant about Noongar - who was making out the death certificate, even from NARRIER).

Heaps of NARRIER family at Moora Cemetery
http://www.carnamah.com.au/moora-cemetery

Iv looked into this Narriel he was a man named George  Jubytche ,Joobaitch born 1833 and died 1907 around the swan river Perth as a young man he was known as Narriel,narrel,Ngar-ra-jil  and a police assistant he named changed somewhere around 1865 and 1875 to Jubyche,Joobaitch  I'm 98% almost certain this could be also John Narriel the only connection being the name Narriel but researcher say they are different people and is my greatgreat grandmothers  maiden name Mary Jane McKay nee Narriel of York Mary was born in 1863 York and nothing is known of her younger years until 1899 where she was married to at the time to my greatgreat grandfather Andrew Curenit in the online newspaper trove and then in 1901 at Guildford

Offline AustraliaJack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 June 16 11:04 BST (UK) »
The proper name is a native history card these was made by the government to keep tabs on everything a aboriginal family does birth death marriages health travel you name it unfortunely some of the older families didn't have the parents and the government had to  rely on infomation from other aboriginals which was the case on my great great grandmothers 2nd husbands card which had the name johnny Narriel and Emma breasley.

Hi there Jack,

Is that the same Emma Breasley who married Thomas BLAND in 1883?   

Thomas BLAND marriage to Emma BRASELEY at Gingin 1883.  Ref 5470  WA BDM online

Cheers,  JM

could you find out more on this please

THOMAS BLAND, exp., late Reg. No. 2842, by P.C.
J. Hogan, at Pinjarrah, on Sth inst.; charged with
drunk and disorderly conduct, on premises of Mr. T.
Fawcett, Pinjarrah; also charged with neglecting his
work. Sentenced at Pinjarrah, on 9th inst., to 1
month's hard labor on each charge, cumulative.

Apparently this Emma breasley is the same person daughter of Charles breasley and a aboriginal woman named banyap

Offline mollipops1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 June 16 11:32 BST (UK) »
I think Emma's husband Thos might have died young not long after they married. They had a child named Neabbie in 1883 in Gin Gin (shows her as Emma Brazeley). Maybe she took up with Johnny after that?

Offline suegar

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 07:02 GMT (UK) »
Emma Brazley's husband Thomas Bland was buried in Gingin in 1885. He was a half caste and was also known as Thomas Bland Dundall, Tommy Doondale/Toondale.

Offline mollipops1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Please don't use the term half caste - it may have been in common usage back then but is offensive and unnecessary today. He was an Aboriginal man, plain and simple.

Offline suegar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 09:46 GMT (UK) »
No offence was intended of course but if we are dealing with genealogy then we have to be clear on what is correct and what is not. If I had referred to this man as an aboriginal there is no way to determine if he had full blood parents or mixed race parentage. I have seen some records refer to Thomas Bland as a convict which he quite clearly was not. By stipulating he was a half caste, it gives his descendants a clue to further his true heritage.

Offline mollipops1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Often the caste system was solely a judgement by a white man based on skin colour. Not very accurate in terms of genealogy. It was only in the 20th century that the definitions were made more formal and used on identity cards.

His other parent / grandparents may have been Caucasian, Eurasian or Asian. Impossible to know based on the term 'half caste'...so really not actually that helpful?

So he was an Aboriginal man, probably with only one parent who was Aboriginal, and possibly with at least one grandparent who was Aboriginal.

It is unlikely his birth was registered in any case.

Offline suegar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 10:24 GMT (UK) »
No. He was not an Aboriginal. He was as much a Caucasian man as an Aboriginal. We are talking about a man born soon after the colony of Western Australia began so no way was it a grandparent that was Thomas Bland's ancestor. He married Emma Brazley who also had a Caucasian father, the same father as my children's Great great grandmother. So it is very helpful to know he had a Caucasian parent as well as an Aboriginal one.