Author Topic: James RAMPLING b 1822 (c) look up Please!  (Read 11946 times)

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: James Rampling b 1822 (c) look up Please!
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 July 05 00:28 BST (UK) »
mmm with Matilda born in Lancs age 9 in 1861 I would have to suspect they may be there in 1851 census......There are no Hamplings showing. (Sorry mucked up before they are Hambling -silly me) None of these boys have a Matilda in there family unfortunately either. 14 in Whatfield is a bit strange He has brother William 15 him then NK 7 and NK 1 Parent John 35 ag lab and Jane 35 all born Suffolk. Seems a bit odd....Though one of the others has a brother Josh......Sorry I just don't think we are going to have any luck here no matter what we try......Kris  :'(

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 July 05 00:36 BST (UK) »
Ohheee Just noticed the second wifes age...Quite an age difference there! Jan I am starting to wonder if this convict may be just a coincidence and may not your man at all!

My reasons

Age...Yours appears to be a few years older by these census records. Your man seems very consistant 40 in 1861, 50 in 1871, 60 in 1881
Occ....Convict retrained as Tailor so why is yours not a tailor...surely this man would not be labouring on the roads in 1861 if he was a tailor! (Though I see he does later become a shopkeeper)
Sentence..... 15 years in 1842 yet back in Somerset married and  having a child by 1846

Kris  :-\

Offline juddee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Found them! Found them! I wish!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 22 July 05 01:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan

Found this marriage on FreeBMD site........could be your James?

James Rampling Dec 1/4 1840 District Lexden County Essex Vol 12  P285
There is an Anne Taylor also on the page

Juddee
Living in the land of Oz<br />Berkshire TASKER<br />Cambridgeshire BLANKS HAYDEN, STEWART<br />Durham GRAY LAVERICK UNTHANK<br />Gloustershire ANDREWS WILLINGTON<br />Hertfordshire HALES HAYDEN<br />Lancashire WHITE HARTNET<br />Oxfordshire EATON TASKER<br />Somerset  DAINTY GERRETT MURRAY SLADE<br />Wiltshire BARTLETT GERRETT<br /> Galway HICKEY LEWIS <br />Germany HARTMANN SCHUEMACHER<br />

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 22 July 05 05:55 BST (UK) »
Jan just been playing about a bit more and reading about the Parkhurst boys. (Fascinating)

I found this article on the convict

April 14th 1839
James Rampling aged 12 years was charged with entering the home of William Albury at Sudbury and stabbing and cutting him.
15 years transportation.

I have also noticed that a James Rampling married in Aukland 17 dec 1850 to Eliza Williamson. (Submitted entry) but I feel of interest that the convict was transported to Aukland in 1842 so would again have to wonder (1 Dau listed in 1851).........Now also since these Parkhurst Boys were transported from Parkhurst Prison IOW I presume that is where this particular boy can be found in 1841 census......Kris   :D

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 22 July 05 06:20 BST (UK) »
aha ....

baptisms

RAMPLING Joseph 25 oct 1846 baptism 31 jan 1847 Ashton in Mackerfield Lancs
Parents James Rampling and Anne

RAMPLING Sarah Matilda 17 Dec 1851 baptism 11 Jan 1852 Ashton in Mackerfield Lancs
Parents James Rampling and Anne Mar 1/4 1851 Wigan 8c 93

RAMPLING James 7 aug 1874 baptism 20 Sep 1874 Ashton in Mackerfield Lancs
Parents James Rampling and Sarah Sep 1/4 1874 Wigan 8c 152

RAMPLIN Joseph William 1 Aug 1876 Baptism 10 Sep 1876 Ashton in Mackerfield Lancs
Parents James Rampling and Sarah Sep 1/4 1876 Wigan 8c 148

Unfortunately the marriages are not listed  but it appears Joseph was also born in Lancs not Somerset or was certainly baptised there. One thing I guess is you now know they are in A i M for 1851 census  ;D ......Kris  ;D

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I Know,If I Get to the Core then Answers R There!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 22 July 05 07:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Kris & Judee

Thanks for all your help on this matter!  Maybe, James wasnt a convict afterall!  Maybe the census people misread his submitted forms or his writing was really bad!

This certainly has been very interesting!  Keep Seaching!

Best wishes
Jan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

TIVEY, WILDE,
Alker, Barmore, Birchall, Bird, Bryan, Chant, Clare,  Crump, Dow, Edwards, Fairbrother, Faulkner, Frearson, Frogson, Glew, Halliday, Heathcote, Hesford, Holliday, Jones, Knight, Massey, Mather, McKenna, Mee, Melling, Neal, O'Brien, Ottewell, Pimblett, Pinks, Price, Quinn, Rampling, Richards, Richardson, Rowley, Royle, Shakespeare, Shaw, Sheldon, Tandy, Thompson, Wade, Walker,  & more!

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 10 August 05 22:16 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am not certain how this site works but hopefully your lister "krisesjoint" can help me with the "Parkhurst Boy" details posted on 22/07/2005.

My interest is that I am researching a Ph D at Southampton University here in the UK and my major initial project is try and create Biographies for each of the 4,088 juvenile convicts who passed through Parkhurst Prison over the period 1838-64.....James Rampling was transported from Parkhurst to NZ aboard the "St George"in 1842.   I have quite a substantial amount of detail up to approximately 1844 but am very interested in the information posted about his marriage/children.

Could you please contact me using either MODERATOR COMMENT: email address removed to avoid spam. Please use personal message system to share email addresses. Thank You.   if that is at all possible...I do hope so.

Regards

Tony Cocks

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I Know,If I Get to the Core then Answers R There!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 11 August 05 15:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony

As you can see from previous comments below

-
Jan just been playing about a bit more and reading about the Parkhurst boys. (Fascinating)

I found this article on the convict

April 14th 1839
James Rampling aged 12 years was charged with entering the home of William Albury at Sudbury and stabbing and cutting him.
15 years transportation.

I have also noticed that a James Rampling married in Aukland 17 dec 1850 to Eliza Williamson. (Submitted entry) but I feel of interest that the convict was transported to Aukland in 1842 so would again have to wonder (1 Dau listed in 1851).........Now also since these Parkhurst Boys were transported from Parkhurst Prison IOW I presume that is where this particular boy can be found in 1841 census......Kris   :D

it wasnt me that posted the information on his marriage!  If you click on the icon near kris's name you will be able to send them a personal message - I have no doubt krisesjoint will help as much as possible -a very generous and well informed member of Rootschat!

Have fun searching and please do contact this board again if you are having difficulty.

Cheers
Jan :)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

TIVEY, WILDE,
Alker, Barmore, Birchall, Bird, Bryan, Chant, Clare,  Crump, Dow, Edwards, Fairbrother, Faulkner, Frearson, Frogson, Glew, Halliday, Heathcote, Hesford, Holliday, Jones, Knight, Massey, Mather, McKenna, Mee, Melling, Neal, O'Brien, Ottewell, Pimblett, Pinks, Price, Quinn, Rampling, Richards, Richardson, Rowley, Royle, Shakespeare, Shaw, Sheldon, Tandy, Thompson, Wade, Walker,  & more!

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 11 August 05 23:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony,

Welcome to Rootschat. Sorry I did missed this yesterday. I am afraid I can be of little help unfortunately.  All I found were submitted entries on IGI on James Rampling.

James Rampling=Eliza Wilkinson 17 Dec 1850 Aukland NZ
Susannah Rampling born 11 Nov 1851 Aukland NZ Parents James Rampling and Eliza Wilkinson
a second entry Susanna Rampling 17 Dec 1851 Aukland NZ Parents James Rampling and Eliza Jane so I would presume she was Eliza Jane Wilkinson

I am in Australia and you really need someone in NZ to help with this. I wonder if somebody on the NZ board may be able to confirm this or provide you with anything further. This was all I found on IGI

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,299.0.html

I did read a lot about the Parkhurst boys when I was working on this lookup, and James's crime and Transportation details. A fascinating subject. All the best with your project. You certainly have an interesting one.  I hope someone on the NZ board can help. Take note that I did discover an older James Rampling died in Aukland. I did a bit of a check on him and discovered he had a son James, in Sydney but this James Came from Australia to Aukland and his son married in Australia twice so I really think the one I found has to be the Parkhusrt Boy but of course no guarantees........Kind Regards.....Kris  :D