Author Topic: Henry John Buckel - mar - Harriet Woodley 1873  (Read 2168 times)

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry John Buckel - mar - Harriet Woodley 1873
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 June 16 03:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Kay,

Sorry for the delay in replying, caused by the time difference as I'm in Sth Australia.

I think my eyes are playing tricks - apologies - the marriage in Long Wittenham 1876 is for a different  "Woodley".

So I'm wondering if Sarah  Buckell (born abt 1876) could be the dau of Harriet Eliza Buckell (nee Woodley)  and who is buried in 1876 Caton, Lancs.   Sarah  (aged 5) ending  up living with grandparents Anthony Palmer  in Harwell, Berks 1881.

The only possible connection I can make is that Harriet Eliza Woodley bapt. 1853 in Long Wittenham is the d/o Thomas & Jemima (nee Mills), they  married in LW in 1849 and Jemima was aged 25 and botp. The only bapt. I can find is for a Jemmy Mills 1821 Oldham, Lancs d/o Susy - so its a loose possibility.

I think I might post on the Lancs forums (with a link to this thread)  to see if some one can find out any more info.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 June 16 07:27 BST (UK) »
I can't see Jemima Mills in 1841!   In 1851-71 she lists her birth place as Long Wittenham or Abingdon but her family could have moved to the county after she was born.   Could she have been married before??

Caton is a small village in Lancs and so have been looking through the 1881 census for the village for possible connections.  So far found one family from Berkshire - Richard Greenough (Labourer at Brickworks) with wife Dinah and family but based on the children's births they weren't living in the village in about 1876

Prob a good idea re the Lancs Board with a link.   The more ideas the better.  I will continue to fiddle :)

Kay

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 June 16 07:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kay,

I have now found a bapt. for a Sarah Buckell in Harwell which reads ;

Harwell bapt. register; 3-9-1876 Sarah Buckell d/o Henry John and Harriet Eliza of Didcot -Christened “Elderfield” .
Elderfield being Henry John's mother's maiden name

So it would appear that she wasn't aware of where she was born or there could be another harriet Eliza around.

Intriguing eh!

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 June 16 07:51 BST (UK) »
Very strange - As you say maybe she was baptised Elderfield as her father was really as Elderfield being born prior to his mother's marriage??

Could the ref Didcot just refer to where Henry John was living at the time as Harriet would already be dead.   Whilst this is only a twig on your tree the puzzle is so interesting maybe a cert might help - but which one???

Kay

Link to thread on Lancs Board re the Caton connection http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=750767.0