Author Topic: Maryborough Queen's County Workhouse/Prison?  (Read 4231 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Maryborough Queen's County Workhouse/Prison?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 July 16 17:29 BST (UK) »
Maryborough was part of the Mountmellick Poor Law Union from 1839. The people of Maryborough would have had to go to the Mountmellick workhouse.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Mountmellick/

That is s a very good site, nice one ShaunJ, thanks.

Offline Trishmcc23

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 July 16 23:45 BST (UK) »
To Sinann and Shaun J - Thank you so much for the information.  I will look at that today.  Hopefully some information about my Walsh GG and GGG will show up.
Trish

Offline mattman

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 00:46 GMT (UK) »
Trish,

Not sure if you've managed to research this further. I come from Queen's Co (Laois), so I have some local knowledge I can pass on.

There were three workhouses in Queen's County in the Nineteenth Century, Donaghmore, Abbeyleix and Mountmellick. For Maryborough (Portlaoise), people would have gone to Mountmellick Workhouse.

Each poor law union was governed by a Board of Guardians. This board would meet and a weekly basis and minute books of these meetings were kept and many survive today. So for Maryborough you would need to consult the Minute books for the Mountmellick.

Unfortunately these minute books are only held by the Local Studies for each County, so Laois Local studies would be the place to go to determine firstly if Minute books exist for the time period you are researching, and secondly how these books can be accessed.

I know that Mountmellick Board of Guardian books do exist,but I don't know for what period, and they can only be accessed in person in Laois Local studies centre in Portlaoise. Maybe one of the librarians there can assist you further.

As another poster replied earlier. The only other establishments in Maryborough was the County Gaol, The County Lunatic Asylum and later on the County Hospital.

Maryborough Gaol opened in August of 1830, the Governors were as follows :
   1830-1851  Archibald Wilson
   1851-1869  James Young
   1869-1871  Captain J.H. Healey
   1871-1893  Arthur C. Bulkeley
   1893-1902  John Condon

So your relative to my knowledge definitely wasn't the Governor there :) I don't know about the other institutions.

Best of luck

Matt