Author Topic: 1911 Canadian census online - NOW AVAILABLE  (Read 3524 times)

Offline samthompson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1911 Canadian census online - NOW AVAILABLE
« on: Thursday 21 July 05 20:36 BST (UK) »
Hi All

here is a link to the 1911 Canadian Census -

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/1911/index-e.html

if anyone needs any help or advice let me know

Thelma
Source: Library and Archives Canada's website (www.collectionscanada.ca)

Kilgannon, Chugg, Neutze

Offline trellisick

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 Canadian census online - NOW AVAILABLE
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 July 05 00:00 BST (UK) »
hello sam, im getting confused with the wards etc they use in canana i know eveline hill arrived in canada 1872 i don't know on what ship she was whith her brother emanuel  he has vanished but eveline married a william mansell who teamed up with a purdy and formed the purdy mansell steam fitting company in toronto they were very succesful they had quite a few children and there must be loads of rellies of theirs still in the toronto area , but i don't seem aBLE to find them ,if you could help i would be very thankful, all the best , kali.
KUHNELL, prussia, germany, australia. TAYLOR, easton in gordano, penmark, essex. barry, glamorgan. HILL, southampton, barry, glamorgan.

Offline jeffH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 July 05 00:40 BST (UK) »
Kali,

From the main page, do a detailed search. Now, in the 1901 census, your Mansell family was in subdistrict 118 Toronto West (at the top of the census image). Put Toronto as the district name and 118 as the sub-district number. It will bring you right to Ward 6. There are 15 pages. I had a quick scan and the only Mansells I could find were Henry Mansell and family on page 9. But check again, I might have missed it.

Of course there is always the possibility they had moved on by 1911.

Jeff
Pembrokeshire - Harries and Blethyn<br />Somerset - Wilkins, Parsons and Ball<br/>Essex/Suffolk - Edwards and Smith<br />Morayshire - Younie and Mavor

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 July 05 08:25 BST (UK) »
So it looks as though I don't stand much chance of finding anyone unless I know where they were ???

Are the Canadians going to help the Irish to do their census in the same way - cos I don't know where they were either!  ;D

If I have missed a surname search somewhere, please enlighten me.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

p.s. many thanks for drawing this resource to my attention - I will try not to be ungrateful!  ;D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 July 05 16:33 BST (UK) »
I feel your pain Arronroots, so close but yet so far!  There is no surname search for the 1911, but I'm sure the ball is rolling on getting it indexed.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline samthompson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 July 05 02:14 BST (UK) »
Hi all

been busy the last two days with summer stuff - the 1911 census will be indexed by volunteers. The previous method involved setting a transcription site and then linking to the page image at the Canadian Archives. A volunteer would use a split screen to read from the census page and then type into the name index site.

Here is a quote from the site that indexed the 1901 and 1906 census

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject:   

~~~~~~~~

Unless something unexpected happens I'll be setting up a project to index the 1911 Census. At this point I don't know how long it will be before the images are available, hopefully not a couple of years though!

Here is a link to a 1911 Census forum at Automated Genealogy

http://automatedgenealogy.com/index.html

Thelma

ps anyone wanting to transcribe even just a page would be great, I am sure.

Source: Library and Archives Canada's website (www.collectionscanada.ca)

Kilgannon, Chugg, Neutze

Offline charby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 September 05 15:07 BST (UK) »
Would you be able to help me find  my great grandfather JOHN BENJAMIN SELBY  who arrived in canada in 1911.I would like to know what ship he came from in england . I have looked a bit at the  census but there is so much for montreal,is there a shortcut in finding the names  ??? I also had ancestors, John Benjamin's family, who came over the following year 1912, maybe in april.

Lucy selby (nee darby)   wife
Doris may selby b abt 1909  eng
Caroline mable selby  b 7 july 1907  eng
John cyril selby b 29 june 1911.

Thank you for any help.
barrow upon soar , leicestershire:   Darby
loughborough, leicestershire : selby
rempstone , nottingham, selby
nottingham: whitehead
watford, hertfordshire : hull
Derbyshire: Selby
kegworth leics, annable
melton mowbray:Darby

Offline eillo

• RootsChat Senior
  • 2x G-Gma Sarah Page Simpso born Chilham Kent 1836
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 September 05 18:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

There are several projects underway to transcribe the 1911 census for Canada. One is at automatedgenealogy.com. One is at the Ontario GenWeb (sorry I haven't got the URL handy, but you can Google for it)

Lastly there's the 1911 Surname Index Project at
http://allcensusrecords.com/canada/ontario/ontario1911.shtml

So far Ontario has been the biggest draw for volunteers, but there are a few Manitoba indexes done and other Provinces underway. Start at http://allcensusrecords.com/canada/manitoba/

Enjoy and hope you find an ancestor :-)
Simpson, Fuller, Page, Stead, Caspall, Philpott, Williams, Elvery, Whibley, Fryer/Friar, Sutton, Grant, Allard, Packman, Steadman, Norris, Drury, Boughton, Spratt, Munday, Rabbit, Wildbore