Author Topic: The Duncans at Runtaleave  (Read 705 times)

Offline lockhaven

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Duncans at Runtaleave
« on: Thursday 23 June 16 04:40 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anybody from the area knew anything about Runtaleave? My x4 Great Grandfather, James Duncan is listed as farming there along with his many siblings and his mother Margaret (Lindsay) in the 1841 census. And he's listed there in the 1851 census living there with a few of his siblings. It looks like he's moved to 1 Northmuir Village as a proprietor of house and farmer of 8 acres in the 1861 & 1871 census.

I was just curious if anybody knew any of the history from Runtaleave? Is there multiple houses there, or is it just the one house called Runtaleave?

What I found interesting is that my x3 Great Grandfather, Alexander Duncan, was actually born to James Duncan and his servant, Susan Whiteburn, 30 years his junior. I'm still trying to figure out how that all worked out, since James never married, and there's no record of Alexander actually living with them. It's only listed on Alexander's death & marriage certificate. It looks like he might have been moved around a bit, lived with a great-grandmother when he was a baby, then was shuffled around.

Anyhow, just curious to see if anybody knew anything interesting, thanks!!

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: The Duncans at Runtaleave
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 June 16 07:52 BST (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline lockhaven

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: The Duncans at Runtaleave
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 June 16 15:12 BST (UK) »
Those are some great map links, thanks so much, plus it gives me a new research tool I didn't know about. Thanks! :)