Author Topic: William Baldry convict description  (Read 2123 times)

Offline Noy1818

• RootsChat Senior
  • Fairlie- The convict ship Michael Noy travelled on
    • View Profile
Re: William Baldry convict description
« Reply #18 on: Monday 27 June 16 23:38 BST (UK) »
What exactly does 'Rec'd a pass as a pauper by Mr Ryan's order to proceed to Windsor' mean? I am presuming it is something to do with being aloud into Windsor as a pauper or am I lost in another world? ???

What a coincidence though! Michael Noy, his old pal was living down in Windsor until he died in 1847. I will be buying that particular death certificate and I am hoping it doesn't take to long to arrive in the mail! This is the real big lead I have found and I thank you all for helping out once again. Just like Noy, I cannot find anything on his life back in England apart from the records of his conviction, but maybe the death certificate might bring some more light to the situation.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 28 June 16 01:26 BST (UK) »
It appears that being classed as a pauper was a type of release but still with restrictions.

Try this: http://eprints.utas.edu.au/17325/1/whole-Hrgrave-thesis.pdf

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 28 June 16 01:29 BST (UK) »
William BALDRY/BALDREY

Arrived 1834 per Fairlie, tried Colchester, Essex. 

Received Ticket of Leave in 1843 #1580, allowed to remain in the District of Liverpool  (Liverpool in New South Wales)  see NSW State Records reel 949.  This TL was cancelled, and William, Protestant, Labourer, was sent to HP Barracks (Hyde Park Barracks, Sydney) 30 August 1844

Received Ticket of Leave in 1845 #1826, allowed to remain in the District of Windsor (Windsor in New South Wales) see NSW State Records reel 957

Received Ticket of Leave Passport 18 March 1846, #358, on recommendation of the Merlon Bench

Received Certificate of Freedom 6 July 1847

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/convicts-guide

You will also find official records for the same chap under the name of Wm BALDRAY, William BALDRAY, and you will find the ship listed as Fairlie, Fairley, Farely, Lairlie (someone mis-read the 19th Century handwritten F for an L) and other variations.

He may have been convicted of some colonial crimes, as he seems to have served time in Parramatta Gaol after receiving the C of F in 1847

JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 28 June 16 05:42 BST (UK) »
Just knew you'd be along with the full 'low-down' JM!!   :D   

Hooray for you!!   ;)
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline Noy1818

• RootsChat Senior
  • Fairlie- The convict ship Michael Noy travelled on
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 28 June 16 06:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jamjar and JM!  ;D The links and resources always help bring their life to light. It seems he had a rather tough life didn't he! I am hoping the end of his story won't be as harsh as the start and middle.