Author Topic: Calderwood Newcastle upon Tyne  (Read 4987 times)

Offline granger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Calderwood Newcastle upon Tyne
« on: Thursday 21 July 05 21:57 BST (UK) »
Has anyone the name Calderwood in their family search?    The sons who are on the 1881 census did not marry, but perhaps through the daughters line you may have come accross the name. Thanks June

Offline Faithen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ggrandparents Henry and Jennie Geggie nee Wright
    • View Profile
Re: Calderwood Newcastle upon Tyne
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 March 09 11:44 GMT (UK) »
NOT SURE IT IS SAME FAMILY????

Looking for information CALDER married to Mr Christian Lindseth/Lindsett

has child  Clarence Lindseth b 1934 mothers maiden name CALDER
All in Newcastle upon Tyne area
He married Maureen Newell in 1956 in London ( This is my Mother)
Any information would b helpful.
ALL Newcastle - Elswick, Blaydon, Durham, West end,Lemington, West Denton .
Scotland all over
 & Ireland mainly North of Ahgohill, County Antrim
NAMES ;

Newell - Geggie - Faithen - Faichen - Thirwell - Thompson - Rose - Cooper -Rooney - Bilton & Nichol, Mitchell, Ross, Perry,Ewart,Hamilton,Miller,McMeekin

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 March 09 00:21 GMT (UK) »
My Gt. Grandmother was Elizabeth Calderwood, born Ireland c 1866 and living with her family in Newcastle upon Tyne in 1881 - father George.

Any connection?

Christine

Offline Nyassa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 March 09 03:32 GMT (UK) »
I have a John Calderwood tried County Antrim Ireland c1824 and transported to Australia 1824.   Could have been tried under the name Catherwood.  Transportation records show "Alias - John Sinclair".   All other details from Irish records reported to have been destroyed.
Application for wife and family to join in Australia stated family residing at Kilmayle Parish Ramoan.   Family did not make the journey to Aust.
Wife reported to have been Jenny/Jane Gordon and it is thought married in Scotland c 1815 with children James 1817, Henry 1819 and Mary 1821 being born Scotland.
A long shot that there is any connection but this is one of the great mysteries of my research

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 March 09 12:35 GMT (UK) »
You  may already know that Calderwood and Catherwood are interchangeable in Northern Ireland - not sure about the south.  I have learned that from using this site!

There are a lot of Calderwoods in Antrim but I think mine came from the Dublin area.  At least one child was born and subsequently died in Dublin shortly before the family came to England.

I was talking to a local historian (local to the North East, that is) who says that the majority of Irish people coming to Newcastle came from the Roscomon area.  My Gt. Grandfather (surname Hand) seems to have originated from that area.  Certainly it is the only place I seem to get any search results from.

The Irish connection is the only side of my family that I have yet to properly tackle - it seems that it is not for the faint-hearted!

Christine

Offline Nyassa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 March 09 04:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks Christine.   First time I have used anything like this but my Irish research doesn't seem to go anywhere.   If there was a record of the trial it would no doubt help greatly but apparently all records lost and other than the reference to the trial being in Antrim and his family then living in Antrim, I have no information at all of the Irish connection.  The alias of John Sinclair is also very tantalising.
As my John was transported to Australia, I doubt he has a connection to your Newcastle Calderwood.
Yes, I was aware that the Calderwood/Catherwood was interchangeable.
Regards,
Bev

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 March 09 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Bev,

As Antrim is in Northern Ireland you may have a better chance of finding information.  I'm no expert on this area but there are a lot of people on Rootschat who are.

Your best bet would be to post a message on the Antrim board - similar to your first post on here - and see what happens.  If there's anything to be found someone will know where to look.

Also, for interest, put Calderwood in the search box and you'll see everything ever posted on the name - that's where I found out about Catherwood.

Happy hunting!

Christine

Offline Nyassa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 March 09 12:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the help Christine.   I wasn't sure where to start the other day - am heading off tomorrow for a few days camping so will do some more exploring when I return.
Bev

Offline Geordielad70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 October 19 18:08 BST (UK) »
Hi June,
I have a lot of information on the Calderwoods of Newcastle upon Tyne, please get in touch.
Phil