Author Topic: Balloon Court, Nottingham  (Read 7907 times)

Offline greyingrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Balloon Court, Nottingham
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 March 10 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Oh.....don't know if anyone is still out there.

I've just received a photocopy of  a summons for non payment of the poor tax for one of my ancestors in 1820.....it says his address was Balloon Yard, St Peter's, Nottingham.....I guess this was linked to Balloon Court  ?

One thing that has struck me is that it was off a "Mount St"......I've got another ancestor who was living in Cross Lane, St Mary's......also off a "Mount St" & I know where the present day Mount St is in Nottingham city centre (nowhere near these 2) Does anyone know if these were completely separate streets or if they formed a road around the edge of the city.....divided into north/south/east/west etc ?

Offline greyingrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 March 10 17:15 BST (UK) »
This is probably a silly question, but was The Ballooon pub named after any particular balloon & is the name of Balloon Woods connected in any way ?

Offline MarkTewk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 14 September 13 10:46 BST (UK) »
Bev32...

noticed that you said you were related to the Davis/Davies family of Balloon Court, Nottingham.  I'm helping a friend and would be very interested if you know anything about this Davis family lodging in Balloon Court with Joseph and Elizabeth Stocks at the time of the 1851 census.

William Davis 31  Nottingham
Eliza Davis 29 Wales (British Subject) - I think her maiden name is Eliza Hanson or maybe Orson
Fanny Davis 8 Nottingham
Orson/Orston Davis 5 months, Nottingham

Eliza Hanson had a brother James Hanson b abt 1824 Cheltenham - James turns up on the 1881 census with Caroline (maiden name Garner, former married name Robinson) in Hucknall Torkard, Nottinghamshire.  James's occupation  is photographer.

I think the family emigrated to the USA at some point.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Mark

Offline bev32

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 14 September 13 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

Although my Davis Ancestors were in Ballon Court on the 1851 census i have not been able to make a connection with the family you are looking for, do you have any more info that may help

Regards Bev

Offline Tempest2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 17:50 BST (UK) »
Hi, I can see this thread is very old, if I could try and resurrect it? If there’s anyone still here. Balloon Court, I’ve learnt was demolished along with other streets to make way for the Victoria station. I have ancestors who lived there. In 1881 Samuel Campion (soon to die in 1884 aged 30) with his wife and 3 children lived there. Specifically they lived there in a place called Stephens Mission Rooms along with another two families. I can’t find anything about it though. Has anyone more info that could help. On his death would have had to move out? The two sons were 6 and 7 at his death and grew up it would appear as bad in’s. One, John ended up a spell in Bagthorpe prison for neglect of his family. The other Alfred was arrested trying to commit suicide by jumping off Trent Bridge.