Author Topic: Eggins family  (Read 712 times)

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Eggins family
« on: Tuesday 28 June 16 15:18 BST (UK) »
Looking to trace the Eggins family in Devon/Cornwall.

John Eggins married Elizabeth Benoy, the widow of John Veal, in Werrington, Devon.

Their children were John, Thomas Benoy who died at age 2, Thomas, William, George, and maybe Anne (not proven). All born in Devon.

I’m descended from George, but trying to trace John, his older brother, to help add clarity to this family and its unusual surname.

John Eggins Jr. married Elizabeth Rice. Their children were William b. About 1826, Elizabeth Ann who died as an infant, and Mary. I believe John died in 1833. I can find who appears to be Elizabeth in 1841 living as a servant. Then I lose her in 1851 and apparently find her again in 1861 living as a victualler. Her son William is unmarried and a tailor. I found him in 1851 and he’s a journeyman tailor living with some other bachelors.

Elizabeth dies in 1866, and then it is difficult to find her son. I can’t find a death record for him, but I can’t find him in the census records either post 1861. I did find a William Eggins who died in 1886 and left his farm, Tettaridge, to his son Charles Henry in 1886 in Devon. But I am really 50/50 on whether this is my relative/I can’t seem to trace Charles Henry either.

To complicate matters, William was born 1827/1827 and had a cousin born around the same time to his uncle. This cousin, also William Eggins, married an Elizabeth Bickell and lived at Chillaton Farm in Devon with three kids.

Please help! Thank you in advance for alleviating my confusion :).

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
Re: Eggins family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 June 16 16:06 BST (UK) »
A Charles Henry EGGINS was baptised at Werrington, Cornwall 13 Aug 1841, son of William & Jane. He died in 1825 and was buried in Launceston. http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/ According to the 1851 census, Charles Henry's father William was born in Stoke Damerel in 1801 - See FREECEN.org.uk However, Stoke Damerel baptisms show him to have been born in 1800, son of John & Elizabeth. Another William was born in 1807 son of Thomas & Mary.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 June 16 16:09 BST (UK) »
A Charles Henry EGGINS was baptised at Werrington, Cornwall 13 Aug 1841, son of William & Jane. He died in 1825 and was buried in Launceston. http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/ According to the 1851 census, Charles Henry's father William was born in Stoke Damerel in 1801 - See FREECEN.org.uk However, Stoke Damerel baptisms show him to have been born in 1800, son of John & Elizabeth. Another William was born in 1807 son of Thomas & Mary.

Thank you - I believe then, that this William of Tettaridge Farm is actually the brother of John Eggins Jr and uncle of William Eggins, the tailor. So many Williams to keep track of! I still cannot locate William Jr, son of John and Elizth, tailor, anywhere except in 1851/61.

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 June 16 19:46 BST (UK) »
William EGGINS baptised at Werrington in 1826, son of John & Elizabeth - possible burial at Stoke Damerel 20 Feb 1863 (died 17 Feb), aged 36 abode the Workhouse. In 1861 his name is written as EGGINGS.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 June 16 22:45 BST (UK) »
William EGGINS baptised at Werrington in 1826, son of John & Elizabeth - possible burial at Stoke Damerel 20 Feb 1863 (died 17 Feb), aged 36 abode the Workhouse. In 1861 his name is written as EGGINGS.

Thank you! That is really helpful. I'm thinking that might be my William. It is sad to see he died in the workhouse. His uncles were all well-to-do farmers (500+ acres) - surprising they didn't help or employ him. I just ordered his father's will.