Author Topic: James Maidment (1778-1862)  (Read 958 times)

Offline LauraTucker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Maidment (1778-1862)
« on: Tuesday 28 June 16 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I have found a record of my husband's 4xgreat grandfather James Maidment marrying Hannah James on 30 May 1803 in Tarrant Rawston. However, I'm having trouble tracing back from Hannah, as I can't find a baptism for a Hannah James anywhere local. (The only one I found within the right sort of time-frame was in Bridport, which I thought might be too far away.) According to the 1841 census she was born in Dorset, but I've searched the Dorset records and found nothing.

Does anyone have any advice for me please?!

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Maidment (1778-1862)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 June 16 19:14 BST (UK) »
There is an Hannah Maidment, mother in law - on the 1851 census. Birth year abt 1780. If that is the correct Hannah, her birth place is given as Cann, Dorset.

I am not familiar with the area, so off hand I don't know if that is near Bridport. Have you checked Non-conformist baptisms?
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 June 16 19:27 BST (UK) »
Ah - I see that James Maidment is a widower in 1851 - so that isn't the correct Hannah!
Places of interest;

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 June 16 19:42 BST (UK) »
I am wondering if the surname of 'James' may be a transcription error or an error in the parish register -- as the groom's christian name was also James. It would be useful to see the original register, or have you seen it?

The names of female children may help - as Hannah is likely to have named a daughter after her mother.

Interestingly there is a Hannah Jeans baptised in 1782 in Stalbridge -- is that a possibility?
Places of interest;

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 July 16 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hello
I've checked the original and it does say James.
There are a couple of possibilities.
Firstly Hannah's burial at Tarrant Rawton 8.7.1847 age 75 which gives a birth of 1772 .so you may need to look a little wider.(strangely James's from the 13.2.1862 burial at Tarant Rushton is 1779 which fits so it would be odd if they knew his age but not hers).
There is a Luke James who  marries at Tarrant Rushton but gives his parish as Tarrant Rawton 24.9.1796 to a Hannah Coffin.
They have a daughters Hannah 22.1.1796 , Charlotte in 3.6.1798and Eliza 24.11.1799 T Rushton.
Also a Luke James bachelor from Shapwick marries Jane Sebley 25.4.1802 witness John Coffin.
Luke is indeed baptised at Shapwick 3.7.1774 s of Luke and Mary James.
Unfortunately I can't see a sister Hannah but of course it wouldn't hurt to have a closer look at the family.
I can't find a burial for this Luke born in 1774  although there are a large number of Jameses at Shapwick.
The marriage for Hannah James and James Maidment doesn't give their marital status  it did cross my mind that Hannah could be the widowed Hannah Coffin.
There is a baptism at Durweston Hannah Coffin to Henry Coffin 16.1.1774 if so.

There also might be a slight name change
Ann James 19.1.1783 at Tarrant Rushton d of Thomas James and Mary Hancock James
Is another possibility.

If it was me I'd take a look at Shapwick they are definitely the local James family.

Ciderdrinker

Offline LauraTucker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 July 16 19:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you Pennines and Ciderdrinker - you've both been very helpful, and I will definitely look into the possibility of Hannah James being a widow; it would explain why I'm having such difficulty finding her birth! Even so, you've given me food for thought and more avenues to explore, so thank you!

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 July 16 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hello again
Just a quicky .
I had a look at Luke and Hannah James's children.
One of them Hannah  had a son Luke  29.6.1817 at Tarrant Rushton.
When he married Sarah Christopher at Tarrant Rawton 4.2.1834 one of the witnesses was Mary Maidment possibly James and Hannah's daughter born 1812.

Elias Maidment who married Louisa Kent 7.8.1833 at Tarrant Rushton seems to have had a joint wedding with Eliza James  who married William Mackenzie, his possible half sister.

Good luck with the hunt.

Ciderdrinker