Author Topic: Service record for William Richard Welch from portsmoth  (Read 1220 times)

Offline welshspencer

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Service record for William Richard Welch from portsmoth
« on: Saturday 02 July 16 19:21 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I been reading my great uncles letters from the front line.  Which makes harrowing reading to see what he went through along with his battle diary. He was killed 30 March 1917 from a battle on 29th in Iraq which he was wounded. His service record we think was destroyed in a bomb but noticed from his death page that before he was in 5th be Wiltshire. He had different service number and was in Hampshire regiment. Would this be anotjer service record or were they put together. And how Can I find out when he joined the service.  He died age 23 his name.William Richard Welch from.portsmoth. Found his medal card and soldiers personal effects to record

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Service record
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 July 16 20:42 BST (UK) »
They would carry on with the same record if a soldier transferred to another regiment. The exception was when there was  break in service. Such as serving in the Militia and later as a Regular.

If you have Ancestry you can use the National Archives medal index to discover men with nearby numbers and see if their service record survives.

See my answer about the Royal Dublin Fusiliers - http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=750538.msg5986822#msg5986822

You are looking for men with uncommon names to make it easier to find their record on Ancestry.

Ken

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Service record for William Richard Welch from portsmoth
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 July 16 21:44 BST (UK) »
if you haven't done so already have a look here www.thewardrobe.org.uk from there you can read the 5ths war diary entries relating to when William was wounded along with numerous others .
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 July 16 08:24 BST (UK) »
The Medal Roll only shows service with 5th Wiltshire Regiment.He may have originally joined Hampshires but no overseas service with them.

Went overseas after Jan 1916.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline welshspencer

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 July 16 14:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your help

Much apprciated . Will try and find a service record that's close number to his

Offline welshspencer

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Service record
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 July 16 14:50 BST (UK) »
hi ken i tried the wild card with part of his service number but it came up blank on ancestery on the medal rolls . lets me put his regiment name in and bring up loads of men in that reg , but vant get it to work on a part number ,,,

They would carry on with the same record if a soldier transferred to another regiment. The exception was when there was  break in service. Such as serving in the Militia and later as a Regular.

If you have Ancestry you can use the National Archives medal index to discover men with nearby numbers and see if their service record survives.

See my answer about the Royal Dublin Fusiliers - http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=750538.msg5986822#msg5986822

You are looking for men with uncommon names to make it easier to find their record on Ancestry.

Ken

Offline welshspencer

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 July 16 14:55 BST (UK) »
i used the national Archives to try.

think i got it ,,,,

i searched and found one close . my great uncles was 25242 i found one 25247 cyril Heebkewhite says he was in the wiltshire with this number then moved to the machine corps with diffrent number ,
am thinking that most of the wiltshire records went up , as only manged to find this as he had changed regiments..it says date on recrd 4 feb 1916 on front page. .but when i look at next page for his history it says home 10/ 12/15 to 10/5/16 so a bit confused but does say attested 10/12/15 so i take it thats the date he joined . so my great uncle must be close to xmas 1915, is that correct ?
 the funny thing is his address is a few streets over from were my great uncle lived. so they must of known each other ..

Offline welshspencer

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 July 16 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hi trevor
thank you i found these and was very interesting as i went to the day he died 17 march 1917 and the entry is not that exciting says the unit marched back to bla bla.. but the day before 29 march 1917  it mentions the big battle and shows how many lads died on that day. his remembrance notice on war graves says he died from his wounds  , so i assume he lived a day, but then i dont understand why there is no will for him as these would of been taken from his body . he doesnt have agrave i think? but is on the war memorial at basra on the plaques..
not sure what memorial he would of gone on at home

also found him in the register of soliders effects

if you haven't done so already have a look here www.thewardrobe.org.uk from there you can read the 5ths war diary entries relating to when William was wounded along with numerous others .
regards
trevor