Author Topic: Where is C Hill, Victoria please  (Read 5166 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Where is C Hill, Victoria please
« Reply #18 on: Friday 01 March 19 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Well, with no thanks at all to PROV, I now have the hospital record of William Burgess, who was admitted to Yarra Vale Hospital on 21 December 1905.

The only problem is that according to the hospital record he was found dead on 28 May 1909. And that's not a slip of pen/brain because there are five entries in his hospital record after 10 July 1908, which is the date of death according to the inquest held on 11 July 1908 ???

And the only death certificate in 1909 is for a William *Bruce* Burgess, in 'Iwood', wherever that is.

Flummoxed.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 03:56 GMT (UK) »
I have always had excellent service from PROV however I have never sent them an email requesting information. Did you use their online enquiry form?
Possibly you should have employed an accredited researcher.  PROV does not provide a research service.

It was William Bruce BURGESS, 78 years, who died at Inglewood in 1909.  Perhaps you intended to write only one death registration [not certificate] in 1909.

I can't comment on the hospital record however the Inquest Record clearly states he collapsed on 9 Jul 1908 and was put to bed and died at 2.50 am on 10 Jul 1908.  The Inquest was held the same day 10 Jul 1908 not 11 Jul 1908 as you have stated.

Did you purchase an image of his death certificate from Vic BDM?   If so what is the date of death on that document.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 10:14 GMT (UK) »
I have always had excellent service from PROV however I have never sent them an email requesting information. Did you use their online enquiry form?
I did. What I found unsatisfactory was that their reply listed the information they required from me - but my initial enquiry contained all of that information already. It was as if they had not bothered to read what I said, and just fired off a standard letter.

PROV does not provide a research service.
I knew that. I was just hoping they would tell me where to look.

It was William Bruce BURGESS, 78 years, who died at Inglewood in 1909.  Perhaps you intended to write only one death registration [not certificate] in 1909.
Yes, that is what is in the online index. As he is far too old to be the William Burgess I am interested in, I had discounted him, whether it's a registration or a certificate.

I can't comment on the hospital record however the Inquest Record clearly states he collapsed on 9 Jul 1908 and was put to bed and died at 2.50 am on 10 Jul 1908.  The Inquest was held the same day 10 Jul 1908 not 11 Jul 1908 as you have stated.
I had already downloaded the inquest papers. The examination of the body was carried out on 10 July but the date on the covering document is 11 Juy.

Did you purchase an image of his death certificate from Vic BDM?
Not yet. But even if it gives a date of death it must be a date in 1908, and that can't explain the five later entries (31 July, 22 November, and 1 December 1908 and 25 and 28 May 1909) in his hospital record.

As I said. Flummoxed.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 23:23 GMT (UK) »
As others have mentioned,  there are two death registrations noted already.   One is a death indexed at the Vic BDM online index (the newly modified one) as
Wm BURGESS,  Unknown parents, and reference 9170/1908
and the other is
Wm Bruce BURGESS, Unknown parents, and reference 1887/1909

If you search for Wm BURGESS between 1900 and 1920, there are 17 possible deaths at that index.

It is entirely possible that both the 1908 death and the 1909 death are for patients at that Asylum, and that a clerk filing/updating the paperwork back in 1909 has simply presumed there was only the one patient by that surname, particularly as both had the same first name - Or if checking for a patient card to mark it up back in 1909 ... in strict alphabetical order, Wm BURGESS would come before Wm Bruce BURGESS and maybe that is why info that apparently would be for 'Bruce' in 1909 has found its way to the chap who died in 1908.   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 10:25 GMT (UK) »
So is Iwood also a district where a death in Yarra Bend Hospital might be registered?

Is there a list anywhere of the resgistration districts in Victoria, with or without their assorted abbreviations?

I note with great disappointment that the age of the deceased is no longer shown when you click on the index entry. Also that it now requires you to specify a year of death range, which the old system didn't. Rather pointless when all you do is type in 1836 to 1988 and get the same range of records.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 11:10 GMT (UK) »
I am not much chop re VIC but from Rchats Vic resources board looks like Lwood maybe Longwood.

There are threads on that new effort on the Vic  BDM,  it has messed up big time..

JM  on e reader again.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 17:39 GMT (UK) »
There are threads on that new effort on the Vic  BDM,  it has messed up big time..
And to think I prefixed my enquiry with a compliment saying that I thought the VIC BDM index was the best one anywhere - just before they messed it up  ;)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 22:14 GMT (UK) »
I now have the death certificate of William Burgess who died in 1908, and (as I feared) it adds precisely nothing to the information in the inquest and hospital records :(

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 04:45 GMT (UK) »

I note with great disappointment that the age of the deceased is no longer shown when you click on the index entry.

If it is important to your research to know the age at death of an individual ( up to 1985  )you should post a request here so that helpers can search older resources not available online for you.
This may be especially useful before you outlay for a downloaded certificate purchase.
The age is usually, but not always, available this way.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk