Author Topic: Where is C Hill, Victoria please  (Read 5092 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where is C Hill, Victoria please
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 July 16 06:44 BST (UK) »
I think Cando and others are on the right track re the abbreviation.
From 1902 to about 1909, it is common to see on the index entries something like-
Death Place: C Hill L Asy

(Clifton Hill Lunatic Asylum)
There were a great many of these .

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 July 16 07:49 BST (UK) »
Cambrian Hill is on the outskirts of Ballarat!

bitzar

There was only one death for a William BURGESS in 1908 and as he is buried at Fawkner Memorial Park one would assume that he died at Clifton Hill not Cambrian Hill.  Inquest supports my assumption that he may died at Yarra Bend Asylum aka Clifton Hill Lunatic Asylum.

His death certificate would have his place of death and there MAY other information such as his former occupation,  place of birth and whether or not he was married and the number of children from the marriage.

You need to see the certificate.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 July 16 08:42 BST (UK) »
Yep... Clifton Hill was my first thought anyway.  Just wanted to offer Cambrian Hill as a thought due to the fact that Ballarat was mentioned.  ;D
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 July 16 08:52 BST (UK) »
In one of my resources it suggests that CAMB is the abbreviation used for CAMBRIAN HILL and Clifton Hill can also be CLIF.  Seems a lot is left to the transcribers.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 13 July 16 06:39 BST (UK) »
It could be Clifton Hill which is an eastern suburb of Melbourne.

cheers, marp

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 31 January 19 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I don't seem to have responded to this question. Apologies, but better late than never I suppose.
The will also mentions his children but does not name them.
Can you just clarify for me please ;D
The children of whom are mentioned in the will of George?
George's legatees were his son William Burgess, baker, Ballarat, and his children; son John Burgess, blacksmith, Fraserburgh, and his children; son George Burgess, blacksmith, Sheffield, and his children; niece Georgina Cowie, 36 St Peter Street, Peterhead.

I have all the information I need about John and Georgina and their families. George Jr was in Sheffield and unmarried in 1901 but I have not found him in 1911. William was the only one who I know emigrated, but George Jr may also have left Britain.

If it is the children of William you mean, is there any further description of them  .....whereabouts? ....age?
Nothing. their grandfather George's will is the only evidence I have of their existence. Though given that his brother George Jr was not married in 1901, it may be that George Sr was allowing for the birth of grandchildren yet unborn.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 01 February 19 03:14 GMT (UK) »
It is possible to obtain records of patients at asylums from the Public record Office of Victoria (PROV). Many of these records are digitised.

It is likely that you are thinking of the Yarra Bend Lunatic Asylum, at Clifton Hill, Victoria which was established in 1848 and was the first such asylum built in Victoria.

marp

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 01 February 19 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.

I now have the inquest documents, which tell me quite a lot but nothing about where he lived before admission, his occupation and family situation. No wife is mentioned. One witness says he was visited by friends, and another says that he had no visitors.

His age is out by two years, and the inquest says he was born in Victoria, but either of these details could be an error.

Being unable to find the actual admission record in the online catalogue, I have e-mailed PROV to ask how to get access to it.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 04 February 19 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Today's prize for an unhelpful response goes to .... PROV.

I e-mailed them to say that I was looking for the records of William Burgess  and that I had found his inquest and from that knew that he was admitted to Yarra Bend Hospital for the Insane on 21 December 1905 and died there on 10 July 1908.

I told them that I had searched on their web site for information about admissions to Yarra Bend in their catalogue series VPRS 7456 but had failed to find the specific item. 

Their response?

Thank you for your enquiry about mental health records. We hold archived records from institutions which are now closed.  For patient records, it is useful to know: the asylum in which the person was a patient; the year and rough date of admission; and their last name.
Yes, I knew all that and had told them all those details.

Most records are not digitised and you will need to visit the North Melbourne Reading Room.
Easy peasy. I only live 12,000 miles away.

You can start your search by reading the information available online here:
http://prov.vic.gov.au/explore-collection/explore-topic/health-and-welfare/mental-health-records-1849-1912 <http://prov.vic.gov.au/explore-collection/explore-topic/health-and-welfare/mental-health-records-1849-1912>

Aye right. I told them I had already looked at their web site.

Inquest records
If a patient died in an institution an inquest was typically held into their death. For detailed information regarding inquests, please see:
http://prov.vic.gov.au/explore-collection/explore-topic/inquests-and-other-coronial-records <http://prov.vic.gov.au/explore-collection/explore-topic/inquests-and-other-coronial-records>
Note: the inquest record may have the admission date.

I had already told them that I had seen the inquest.

Closed Records
Patient records are subject to a 75 year closure period under the Public Records Act 1973 as they contain personal information. For records in this category, it is necessary to apply for access directly to the agency that created the records, in this case the Department of Human Services.

I had told them he died in 1908. It doesn't take a genius to work out that 1908 is over 100 years ago, never mind 75 years.

And to add insult to injury the very first line of their e-mail reads PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS RESPONSE EMAIL.

Did they actually bother to read my question at all?