Author Topic: South Luffenham railway station  (Read 1993 times)

Offline pixipick

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
South Luffenham railway station
« on: Monday 04 July 16 20:49 BST (UK) »
Im looking for information on the railway station in South Luffenham. The station doesnt exist anymore and the line removed. My Great Grandfather Joseph Alfred Simpson was the station master there in 1881.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: South Luffenham railway station
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 July 16 21:12 BST (UK) »
Some info here

http://www.systonandpeterborough.co.uk/index.php?p=1_7_PAGE-6

The two story building part of the station was most likely the stationmasters house

Mike

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 July 16 21:39 BST (UK) »
And an article on Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luffenham_railway_station
and
http://www.routeyou.com/en-gb/location/view/48054962/luffenham-railway-station

The station served both South & North Luffenham, being 0-8 miles from each village.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline pixipick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 July 16 07:40 BST (UK) »
Thankyou both for the information.

How can I access records for employees working for the company? I can see on one photo some employees standing on the platform, it would be great to think one of them could have been Joseph Simpson.

Regards Sara

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 July 16 07:46 BST (UK) »
By the time he was there, he would have been working for the Midlands Railway.

So, try here:
http://www.midlandrailwaystudycentre.org.uk/family.htm
But read what they have to say, first!

Secondly, try The National Archives - but that would require a personal visit, or hiring a researcher ( as I did for my ancestor!):
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/railway-workers/

Finally, Ancestry hold some Railway records?
But mainly from GWR, and LNWR.
Worth a look, though.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline pixipick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 July 16 10:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information. The Midland rail link is really interesting and I will contact them for any further information.

Regards Sara

Offline Nottsfisherman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 March 18 14:05 GMT (UK) »
By coincidence, I found your post while doing exactly the same thing as you. Joseph Alfred Simpson was my second great uncle (so you and I are distant relatives) but from looking at census returns many of my direct ancestors (including his younger brother, my great grandfather) obviously spent a lot of time living with him. My g-g-f was there at South Luffenham with him for two separate successive censuses and I suspect that Joseph probably took a key role in bringing him up. Tracing his story it strikes me that he must have been a linchpin in his family and I instinctively like him!

If you pick up this message up I'd be interested to hear some more about what you have found out about him.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 March 18 19:43 GMT (UK) »
By coincidence, I found your post while doing exactly the same thing as you. Joseph Alfred Simpson was my second great uncle

If you pick up this message up I'd be interested to hear some more about what you have found out about him.

Welcome to Rootschat Nottfisherman. 
I followed you from your previous posts on another thread to make sure you were finding your way around the site okay.

I see pixipick was on this site the same time as you but obviously missed your message.

To send a Private Message (a PM),
just click on the name Pixipick which will take you to the rootschatter's profile page.   
Then on the lefthand side click on: "Send Personal Message"

If you can't find your way back to a topic you have contributed to you need to look at the tabs at the top of the page and click on "Profile".  There is a list of topics on the lefthand page of your Profile and clicking on "Show Posts" takes you to a list of topics you have contributed to.

Happy hunting.

Rena

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke