Author Topic: Help Identifying Wife/Partner  (Read 2231 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Help Identifying Wife/Partner
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 09 July 16 19:55 BST (UK) »
I can see the problem - there are dozens of deaths of Walter Smiths born 1893 Yorkshire, even if you narrow it down to West Yorkshire there are still a lot.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lillian66

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 11 July 16 18:40 BST (UK) »
Looking at the post by avm228 Susannah Tolson married Alec Hoare, Sep qtr 1969 Leeds.

But I am confused as to how she was listed as Susannah Horre on the 1939 register.  Particularly if she was living with Walter Smith and taking his name.

Any suggestions?

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 11 July 16 19:12 BST (UK) »
Looking at the post by avm228 Susannah Tolson married Alec Hoare, Sep qtr 1969 Leeds.

But I am confused as to how she was listed as Susannah Horre on the 1939 register.  Particularly if she was living with Walter Smith and taking his name.

Any suggestions?

The 1939 register was kept up to date until about 1991, so when someone changed their name e.g. a woman married,  it was amended on the register, usually in a different colour. So in 1939 Susannah Tolson was living with Walter Smith and using his name, but wasn't married to him. Her name was originally entered on the register as Susannah Smith.  She then either left Walter, or he died and in 1969 she married Alec Hoare. At that point her name would have been changed on the register to Hoare (the name you can see in green)

Offline lillian66

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 11 July 16 21:15 BST (UK) »
The original handwritten entry says Susannah Horre (Smith) not Tolson.

Her mother Catherine Bradley is on the same page so think you have been on right track about Susannah but still confused how the handwritten entry says Horre.

Thanks

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 11 July 16 21:55 BST (UK) »
It was added afterwards in 1969 anything in colour was added long after 1939.

Look at this post which explains the names.

Susannah Bradley married Harry Heward, Jun qtr 1915 Dewsbury.  He died in WW1, 21.09.1917.

Susannah Heward married Arthur Tolson, Mar qtr 1919 Dewsbury.

Susannah Tolson married Alec Hoare, Sep qtr 1969 Leeds.

So we have Susannah Bradley who married Harry Heward and was widowed in 1917. She then married Arthur Tolson in 1919. He either died or she left him and lived with Walter Smith, took his name but didn't marry him. Then in 1969 she married Alec Hoare, her name would have been Tolsen on the marriage certificate as that was her legal name. As the 1939 register was used to inform things such as the NHS her name would then have been changed from Smith to Hoare.