Author Topic: A Contradiction Beatrice Cotton (1767) Monument St Mary's Market Drayton  (Read 781 times)

Offline Peter Cockerill

• RootsChat Senior
  • Very happy to share information
    • View Profile
Dear Friends,

I have the following contradictory 'evidence' regarding Beatrice Cotton who married 2ndly Jasper Peck in 1718 at Mkt Drayton.

The Mkt Drayton Church burial  register states 'Market Drayton 1767 May 8 Burial Beatrice Peck of Drayton'

Shropshire by John Newman, 2006, Page 394, Market Drayton Church, Monuments,
States ; 'Beatrice Cotton (sic) 1767, North Isle, neo classical tablet in black and white marble.' 

I believe these might be references to one and the same person can anyone help please?
Does anyone have a record of the inscription on this monument?

Thank you so much. Peter

Butler, Ireland.
Caddell, Co. Meath, Ireland.
Cockerill, Hackness, North Yorkshire.
Farrell, Ireland.
Jerningham, Costessy, Norfolk.
Nicholl, Merthyr Mawr, Wales.
Owen, Fulham, London.
Peck, Holt, Denbighshire, Wales.
Peck, Wakefield, Huddersfield,Yorkshire
Tilt Coventry.

Offline emjay-h

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A Contradiction Beatrice Cotton (1767) Monument St Mary's Market Drayton
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 September 16 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Peter

I have persuaded a friend from Market Drayton to have a look at the monument inside St Mary’s Church and this is the text on it:-

“Sacred to the memory of Beatrice the daughter of William COTTON and Beatrice BIRCH.  The wife 1st of William JUSTICE Esq of Albrighton Hall, Staffordshire then of Jasper PECK Esq of Cornish in the County of Debigh.
The mother of many children in who’s virtues and affection she found a consolation for the various disappointments she sustained in her fortune.
She was also the great granddaughter and niece to William COTTON Esq of Bellaport where she was born in 1688.
She died in this town in 1767.”

The reference to Albrighton Hall, Staffordshire creates even more questions.  I can’t find any reference that fits that but there is an Albrighton Hall just north of Shrewsbury plus another Albrighton Hall in the east of Shropshire near Shifnal and not far from Staffordshire so you will need to work on that a bit.

For your information Bellaport is located about 4.5 miles NNE of Market Drayton.

The second and third paragraphs above create their own questions. What were the ‘various disappointments she sustained in her fortune’ and how could she be the ‘great granddaughter and niece’ of William COTTON?  Something else for you to struggle with!

Mike
Shropshire, UK