Author Topic: Meath Ireland  (Read 6548 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Meath Ireland
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 13 July 16 19:30 BST (UK) »
I think this is him!!  What is even more amazing for me is that he lived next door to my widowed third great grandmother, Eliza Blackburn, who he then married in 1871!  Cannot trace his death as yet, but it is an interesting story we are building here.  Just cant place his birth yet.  Are the protestant records for Ireland available?

What religion? R.C.B., Dublin will have Church of Ireland records but most other religions do not have records online.
http://ireland.anglican.org/about/21
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hunterterri58

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 14 July 16 10:19 BST (UK) »
morning everyone!
I have been trying to piece all we have together, but still need your expert help!  :)
Thomas was born, he says, in Oldcastle, Meath , Ireland.  His marriage certificate says his father was Thomas who was a Tailor, the same as Thomas, also a tailor.
In 1841 he was staying with a James Lindsley (Lindsey) and Mary who seem to be about the age his parents would be.  James is also a Tailor!
So, James could possible be his Uncle?
There is a Henry, a year younger than Thomas living there, possible Thomas' younger brother?
Also, Caroline Watson, who later becomes Thomas' wife!
They are living in the Westminster area of London.
They have children, the oldest daughter, Jane, being my ancestor.
They lived next door to Thomas Julias Pampe Blackburn and Eliza Watson (interesting that the name Watson is again here!)
Thomas is my ancestor also, but sadly had to go into the workhouse and eventually died, leaving Eliza a young widow.
Caroline died in 1869 and Thomas Blackburn died later that same year.
Both widow and widower then married in 1871.
Thomas Blackburn's son Charles married Thomas Lindsay's daughter, Jane in 1873
All very interesting.
But now I am so stuck on going backwards on Thomas Lindsay.
I have looked at the RC Oldcastle baptisms and cannot see him there, and it does not look like the protestant records are available online.
Any thoughts greatly appreciated as I feel sure that Thomas and James were brothers and that for whatever reason Thomas junior came over here, maybe following his uncles ideals, with his younger brother, so somewhere in Ireland is a Lindsay family line.
I can see there is a very big Lindsay family with both Irish and Scottish roots, but not sure if this would have anything at all to do  with mine as they seem a wealthy family and mine are all simple folk.
Your wonderful thoughts anticipated!  :D ;) ;)
Teresa

Offline hunterterri58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 14 July 16 16:02 BST (UK) »
morning everyone!
I have been trying to piece all we have together, but still need your expert help!  :)
Thomas was born, he says, in Oldcastle, Meath , Ireland.  His marriage certificate says his father was Thomas who was a Tailor, the same as Thomas, also a tailor.
In 1841 he was staying with a James Lindsley (Lindsey) and Mary who seem to be about the age his parents would be.  James is also a Tailor!
There is a Henry, a year younger than Thomas living there, possible Thomas' younger brother?
They lived next door to Thomas Julias Pampe Blackburn and Eliza Watson (interesting that the name Watson is again here!)
Thomas is my ancestor also, but sadly had to go into the workhouse and eventually died, leaving Eliza a young widow.
All very interesting.
I have looked at the RC Oldcastle baptisms and cannot see him there, and it does not look like the protestant records are available online.
Any thoughts greatly appreciated as I feel sure that Thomas and James were brothers and that for whatever reason Thomas junior came over here, maybe following his uncles ideals, with his younger brother, so somewhere in Ireland is a Lindsay family line.
I can see there is a very big Lindsay family with both Irish and Scottish roots, but not sure if this would have anything at all to do  with mine as they seem a wealthy family and mine are all simple folk.
Teresa
And the plot thickens!!  Caroline and Eliza were sisters.  These guys really did know each other. If they were sisters then  Charles and Jane were cousins???

Offline hunterterri58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 17:01 BST (UK) »
morning everyone!
All very interesting.
Teresa
And the plot thickens!!  Caroline and Eliza were sisters.  These guys really did know each other. If they were sisters then  Charles and Jane were cousins???
after great puzzlement and investigation.  Both Eliza Watson and Caroline Watson have fathers called Charles Watson, but they are both different people!

Still need to figure out the Ireland thing though.  How on earth do I research over there? ???

Offline hunterterri58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 19 August 16 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone
I have checked the online parish records for Oldcastle and the name Lyndsay does not even seem to be connected at all to this parish.  If I even just type Thomas Lyndsay in I do not get a result at all on ancestry.
I do not know how to continue this search and would appreciate any advice at all.

Teresa ::)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 19 August 16 21:28 BST (UK) »
The Tithe Applotment books have 2 Lindsay an Andrew and a John year 1827 in the Civil Parish of Enniskeen, (not every head of household is in the Tithe's it was farm size dependant).
The RC parish would be Kingscourt which oddly lists Enniskeen twice as its civil parishes.
One of these Enniskeen's has a townland called Newcastle, but Kingscourt records start 1838.

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/index.jsp
http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0934
https://www.johngrenham.com/c_parish/c_parish_main.php?civilparishid=1852&county=&civilparish=Enniskeen

Offline hunterterri58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 20 August 16 07:47 BST (UK) »
The Tithe Applotment books have 2 Lindsay an Andrew and a John year 1827 in the Civil Parish of Enniskeen, (not every head of household is in the Tithe's it was farm size dependant).
The RC parish would be Kingscourt which oddly lists Enniskeen twice as its civil parishes.
One of these Enniskeen's has a townland called Newcastle, but Kingscourt records start 1838.

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/index.jsp
http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0934
https://www.johngrenham.com/c_parish/c_parish_main.php?civilparishid=1852&county=&civilparish=Enniskeen
Not being great at Geography is Enniskeen near Oldcastle?  Do you think that he meant Newcastle maybe?  He seems to have been born between 1816 and 1822 according to census.
Thanks for you help.  I am so frustrated with this.  I have even tried to research the James Lindsay that he stayed with in Westminster in 1841 as he is the age approx of Thomas father and I thought if I could find his birth with a Thomas as his father and a brother called Thomas that would help me (my thomas has thomas as his father on his marriage certificates), but I can only find a James in Wicklow and there are other children and they are born to THomas and Mary Lindsay, but there is not a Thomas!!

Teresa  ::)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 20 August 16 10:53 BST (UK) »
About 25miles by road.
I haven't seen the originals so I don't have any idea if it could be Newcastle or not. It was just the only Lind*** that came up in the Applotment books and the Newcastle/Oldcastle possibility existed so thought it was worth a look.

You have to be realistic, the records you need may not survive, getting back to the early 1800s and no further is pretty much all we expect in Ireland and many don't manage even that.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 20 August 16 11:05 BST (UK) »
If the family were tailors, there is possibly no Applotment record.

1851 1482/182/40
St Martin in the Fields

James Lindsay 56 yrs Tailor b Ireland
Mary Lindsay 56 yrs Tailoress b Wiltshire, Devizes

Who were the witnesses to the 1842 marriage?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk