Author Topic: School name, Addison Road Rugby  (Read 4064 times)

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: School name, Addison Road Rugby
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 19 October 19 11:47 BST (UK) »
https://www.search.windowsonwarwickshire.org.uk/Details.aspx?&ResourceID=5643&PageIndex=30&SearchType=2&ThemeID=74

is this the school?

No. That is the school in Bilton village.
It can be found at the bottom right on this map near the sideways red 48 just outside the map boundary.
The other school is in New Bilton, near the right centre of the same map.
https://maps.nls.uk/view/101585254
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline Daffodilica

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 19 October 19 11:57 BST (UK) »
No - the image you have is from Bilton Infants, which is still in Bilton village (Magnet Lane I think). The one on Addison Road was a Victorian school, with grass at the front, doors towards the back (used to be one for boys, one for girls), and outside toilets and canteen.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 19 October 19 12:16 BST (UK) »
New Bilton County Primary School, Addison Road, 1958 map at  https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/449140/275232/13/101329 and New Bilton C of E Infants & Juniors School
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Julieharris1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 19 October 19 16:59 BST (UK) »
Daffodilica you are talking about the same school as I am there is just no record of it it wasn't next to a road is it set back.dad says the same as you that there were two doors at the back and separate toilets why can't we find it grrrrrr
Julie

Offline Daffodilica

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 19 October 19 18:59 BST (UK) »
Yes, we're definitely talking about the same school. It had a hall in the middle, with eight classrooms I think. The grass at the front was used for sports day mostly, as we used to play on a concreted area which went round the whole school. Sometimes for special events we went over to the park, which was opposite the school, at the corner of Addison Road and Lawford Road. If you search for it on the National Archives website, using Bilton County Infant School, you will find some records, and the records I looked at were at Warwickshire CRO (use their Warwickshire Past Unlocked website and you will see what records they have).

Offline Jay200200

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 02 September 21 18:25 BST (UK) »
I went to that school I was born in 1974 I loved it a great little school I remember mrs Teevas who followed me across to st Oswalds,I remember the school getting knocked down such a shame as it was a beautiful little school

Offline Kinch63

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 14 March 22 16:50 GMT (UK) »
I think it was called County First infant school, I was there Sept 69 til Feb 72

Offline Lizziefish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 18:05 BST (UK) »
The school on Addison Road was New Bilton County Primary & Junior school when I attended from 1955 - 1961.
I, by coincidence, have been looking for old photos of it.

Offline STL5763

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 12 October 23 09:58 BST (UK) »
The name of the school was New Bilton County First School (bless my mum for keeping my school reports!  :D) I was there from 1974 to 1978 before moving up to St Oswald's C of E Middle School (now a primary and quite a new building at the time).  The headteacher in my time was Mr Maude and my first teacher was Mrs Griffiths (she only passed away in very recent times in her 90s and we'd still been in touch).  There was a driveway and footpath with the school field at the front, as well as the outdoor toilets and (I think) the dinner hall.  The playground went most of the way around the school, if memory serves.  Long gone now, of course, and replaced by the bungalows mentioned on here by others.