Author Topic: Dalrymple Street, Girvan  (Read 3317 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Dalrymple Street, Girvan
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 January 19 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Using wildcards and searching for *k*ss*k, second parent p*w*l, there are four baptisms on SP - the three you found, plus James, 16 March 1834, parents James McKissock and Ann Powel.

In the 1851 census Margaret was 7, so born 1843/1844, and Susan was 5, so born 1845/1846.

Missing baptisms after 1843 immediately make me wonder if the family left the Church of Scotland in 1843 when the Great Disruption took place, and joined the Free Church. The missing baptisms aren't in the 'other churches' section of SP either, but it may be that the records of that particular Free kirk have not survived.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disruption_of_1843 for background.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline pamelajd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 20 January 19 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Well, yes obviously the blog is working. I didn't connect that you and the blog were connected.

So, I will take another (and closer) look at your blog blog to see if I have anything to add. I have been researching some other McKissocks.

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 January 19 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian, I love having proper historical context for the research and I didn't know about this.

I don't know a lot about the McKissocks pamelajd because I am mainly doing the Hepburn's but if you think there is anything I can help with just get in touch.
Alison