Author Topic: John Granger, gentleman/excise officer, Idle, Calverley parish  (Read 1959 times)

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Granger, gentleman/excise officer, Idle, Calverley parish
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 12:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Claire, I will dig into those!

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 09 December 18 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to say nothing else found!
 Brian

Some advice for one and all.   Never give up.    As they say, 'there are many ways to skin a cat'.

I've just had a case where I could find nothing on a marriage for a James Hutton to a Mary before about 1719 when an infant died.   I drew a blank with Ancestry, Family Search and the Calverley database.   But then tried the free search on Find My Past and it came up as 1705 at Calverley.  I had to ask a friend who has FindMyPast to check it and sure enough it was there in the Bishops Transcripts very clear and in the middle of the page for James Hutton who married Mary Lister.   This was a great find because I already had results on a land search from Wakefield which named John Lister of Bolton along with James Hutton in the same feoffment.   Furthermore according to the tax records the Lister family were the proprietors of the land right through to 1804 when it was finally purchased by my gt.gt.gt. grandfather William Hutton.   

That is another thing.    If a family had land or were just a tax paying tenant then you can tell more or less to the year when they took over payment from a predecessor or when they passed.  I've established two or three from the tax records.

I have of course reported the missing entry to Calverley info, and got an immediate response this morning to let me know that it is being fixed.
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 09 December 18 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Malcolm: Confirmation of entry marriages Calverley Parish Records. (not in the database)
1705 12 26    HUTTON    James    Calverley    LISTER    Mary    Calverley    In BTs only!
 Regards Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire