Author Topic: Manor of Catwick, nr Leven any info please? (once owned by Richard Hood)  (Read 8565 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Manor of Catwick, nr Leven any info please? (once owned by Richard Hood)
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 08 April 17 19:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you.

Silly me ...

dobfarm was referring to the witnesses on the Marriage Intention/Bond. These won't always be the same as the witnesses to the marriage.

One thing, except Hood, the other marriage witness names are not familiar to any found in my research.

Regards Mark

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 08 April 17 19:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you.

Silly me ...

dobfarm was referring to the witnesses on the Marriage Intention/Bond, who won't always be the same as the witnesses to the marriage.

One thing, except Hood, the other marriage witness names are not familiar to any found in my research.

Regards Mark

Unless dobfarm has been to York to view the Bond and Allegation (or you have obtained a copy), then there is no evidence of the "witnesses" to it.  There is a transcription via FindMyPast, but it gives very little information and it does not indicate the names of those who supported Richard Hurd in his  application for the bond.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 08 April 17 21:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you.

Silly me ...

dobfarm was referring to the witnesses on the Marriage Intention/Bond. These won't always be the same as the witnesses to the marriage.

Regards Mark

What witnesses. ???

I never mentioned anything about witnesses in post #81 April 1794 Richard Hood bond allegations and post #84 belonged to Goughy in link and Goughy did not mention witnesses either

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=728231.84
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 08 April 17 21:51 BST (UK) »
Good morning,

Quote:
"Richard Hood age 24 (B 1770) X Elizabeth Willifold aged 20 fathers name William Hale intent to marry 23rd April 1794 bond allegations"
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=728231.84
(dobfarm's Reply 81 & 84)

Regarding the Bond, just wondering if the original Parish Marriage entry image, has William Hall or William Hale, please?

Thanks Mark
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 08 April 17 23:11 BST (UK) »
Sorry.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 09 April 17 00:08 BST (UK) »
Is it the witnesses to the marriage you want ?

No William Hale

Witnesses: Susannah Hood
                Ann Rudd
               George Stockton
and James or Joseph Huntriss

Last witness forename is abbreviated - can't tell what it is

William Hale was the father of Elizabeth Wiliford giving consent on the bond allegation as Elizabeth was only 20 and not full age.

There was no mention of witnesses. On bond allegations its usually only the bondsman and the intended grooms signatures (or under age minor - a parents signature) and rest are officials signatures. (no witnesses)

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NXC1-WQB

Why the surnames of Elizabeth Wiliford and father was called William Hale is a ? need to see the original bond allegation- Ie, Widow or born illegitimate to a Wiliford mother with father called William Hale

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 09 April 17 00:33 BST (UK) »
Wonder if he was a stepfather or something ? There aren't many Willifords about at all. Or Hales for that matter .

There is a Thomas Williford (surgeon) who marries a Judith Bell in 1768 Scarborough. Marriage licence states he was from Bridlington. There is one child William baptised there in 1770. Cannot find another Williford baptism in Scarborough or environs. Although an Ann Martha Williford marries early 1800's born c1785.

1779 Judith Williford dies, Thomas dies 1791. Judith's father was a wealthy man -

" Bell, John – Scarborough – (Will dated 1776 & Codicil 1779) – noted 1812 Certified copy of the Will & Codicil – wife Elizabeth, daughters Ann Bell, Dorothy Bell, Henrietta (w/o Nicholas Piper), Judith (w/o Thomas Williford), Elizabeth (w/o John Hebb),  son Thomas Bell, sister Ann Woolfe, brother Daniel Bell (York). Details of large number of properties in Scarborough include several Inns & a Coffee House and a number of Farms in Yorkshire including Newby, Throsenby, Scalby, Warthill & Helke."

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 23:46 BST (UK) »

The 1851 Census for East Stamford Bridge for Richard Hood gives his age as 78 years, a Wine & Spirit Merchant born Leven Yorkshire, which is near Catwick. His wife Caroline Helen Hood aged 56 was born Castle Howard.

B. Richardson v. Hood, and Others

On the Trial of this ejectment before C. B. Thomson at the York Lent Assizes 1816.

It seems that the Testator T. Richardson had left his estate situated at Stamford Bridge, Yorkshire to his Wife Hannah Richardson.

"The Lessor of the Plaintiff was the only Son and heir-at-law of the testator; Hannah Richardson, who had survived the testator, was lately dead, having by her will disposed of all her real estates at Stamford Bridge aforesaid, and the Defendants were the devisees under her Will, and tenants in possession."

The main Defendant was HOOD and what I am interested in please:-

a) are the names of all the Hoods mentioned in the Wills of T. Richardson and Wife, Hannah Richardson?
b) any Richardson and Hood link (Marriage etc.), by 1816?

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Z3IDAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA35&lpg=PA35&dq=%22Richardson+V.+Hood%22&source=bl&ots=BXvbLCYu2J&sig=iSIqGhyJFsBC0NQAOoGrPDGHSpQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwidqO6WyfDUAhXI1xQKHW9GBQAQ6AEIIjAA#v=onepage&q=%22Richardson%20V.%20Hood%22&f=false

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=T_w2AQAAMAAJ&pg=PR4-IA5&lpg=PR4-IA5&dq=%22hannah+richardson%22+%22Stamford+Bridge%22&source=bl&ots=CYljtWo-yR&sig=AyOMc7R7eHJnkJ9c0btlhK7qANs&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiv-cnXzvDUAhVjGsAKHcdSC2YQ6AEIJjAC#v=onepage&q=%22hannah%20richardson%22%20%22Stamford%20Bridge%22&f=false

Thank you

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

Both Thomas and Hannah's Wills are held by the Borthwick unfortunately.

Worth noting in Hannah's case - after Thomas H died she married twice. Firstly to William Quarton and again to William Hessel. He survived her and is named in the Death Duty register.

With William Quarton - looks like she had a son Joseph in 1803.

There was an Elizabeth Quarton born in Selby 1810 parents John Q and Susannah Thompson. They married in Selby 1809 - later children born in Hull. Thought I'd add as it seems an unusual surname.
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk