Author Topic: Manor of Catwick, nr Leven any info please? (once owned by Richard Hood)  (Read 8564 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Manor of Catwick, nr Leven any info please? (once owned by Richard Hood)
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 03 September 17 23:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you Claire

Received the Will of Richard Hood of Stamford Bridge Wine and Spirit Merchant Proved 1862 by David Hill of York Currier (a friend) and Francis Taylor of the same City Bank Manager.

I had an idea Richard was related to Wells Hood.

Wells Hood and a Thomas Hood were actually Sons of Richard Hood. Also refers to his Wife Caroline Helen Hood as Caroline Helen Abel before his Marriage to her.

Richard Hood also refers to the Trustees of any Wesleyan Methodist Chapel in England ...

No reference to my Hoods, so posted for information only.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=728231.msg5774028#msg5774028

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 18 September 17 20:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

Both Thomas and Hannah's Wills are held by the Borthwick unfortunately.

Worth noting in Hannah's case - after Thomas H died she married twice. Firstly to William Quarton and again to William Hessel. He survived her and is named in the Death Duty register.

With William Quarton - looks like she had a son Joseph in 1803.

There was an Elizabeth Quarton born in Selby 1810 parents John Q and Susannah Thompson. They married in Selby 1809 - later children born in Hull. Thought I'd add as it seems an unusual surname.

Hi

Claire some notes from a Will, a reference to a Burton Richardson (probably the Plantiff "B. Richardson" in the Court Case - Reply #25)?

George Burton Richardson born Selby, parents Joseph Richardson and Hannah 1839
https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3ABurton~%20%2Bsurname%3ARichardson~%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1750-1850~

Property at Leven partly and lately occupied by William Thompson.

William Hood of Catwick, March 1852 Will (from a Copy in the Register, on m/f)
William Hood of Catwick County of York Farmer
my Niece Ann Jackson
reference to Farmhouse and Farm 116 Acres and 3 Roods at Catwick
Brick tile yard and cottages and hereditaments at Aldborough my five sixth parts or shares and all other my share and interest of and in the Farm and Lands at Leven occupied by myself and John Foster ...
Leven ...
late in the respective occupations of John Carline, William Forge [Forge may read William Tonge?], William Thompson and Charles Sleggs[?] my moiety and all other my share of the Wind Mill and other hereditaments at Leven ...
£1,500 unto and equally between such of my Nephews and Nieces the children of my brother Richard Hood living at my death ...
unto the Widow of my late Nephew Joseph Quarton of Stamford Bridge and my [two words name/s unreadable] Richardson ...
my Housekeeper Isabella [surname unreadable]
to the Trustees of the Primitive Methodist Connexion ... Isabella Cross ...
Each of my Trustees and Executors Richard Hood Thomas Davison and Wells Hood ...
to Richard Lyon of Catfoss ... Farmer ... chapels. 
I bequeath the sum of Four pounds to William Hood Hepton of Catwick aforesaid Yeoman ...
William Hood Hepton and to the issue then living of each child or children ...
children of Joseph Quarton ...
William Hood Hepton, my said Brother Richard Hood, the children of my said Brother Richard Hood, the said Joseph Quarton and BURTON RICHARDSON ...
I appoint Richard Hood of Stamford Bridge near York Wine and Spirit Merchant Thomas Davison of Spring Street in the Borough of Kingston upon Hull Gentleman and Wells Hood of the City of York Wine Merchant to be Trustees and also Executors
[the film was poor, the remainder was unreadable, if of interest, a scan of the original Will bundle perhaps].

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 21 September 17 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

Both Thomas and Hannah's Wills are held by the Borthwick unfortunately.

Worth noting in Hannah's case - after Thomas H died she married twice. Firstly to William Quarton and again to William Hessel. He survived her and is named in the Death Duty register.

With William Quarton - looks like she had a son Joseph in 1803.

There was an Elizabeth Quarton born in Selby 1810 parents John Q and Susannah Thompson. They married in Selby 1809 - later children born in Hull. Thought I'd add as it seems an unusual surname.

Hi

Claire some notes from a Will, a reference to a Burton Richardson (probably the Plantiff "B. Richardson" in the Court Case - Reply #25)?

George Burton Richardson born Selby, parents Joseph Richardson and Hannah 1839
https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3ABurton~%20%2Bsurname%3ARichardson~%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1750-1850~

Property at Leven partly and lately occupied by William Thompson.

William Hood of Catwick, March 1852 Will (from a Copy in the Register, on m/f)
William Hood of Catwick County of York Farmer
my Niece Ann Jackson
reference to Farmhouse and Farm 116 Acres and 3 Roods at Catwick
Brick tile yard and cottages and hereditaments at Aldborough my five sixth parts or shares and all other my share and interest of and in the Farm and Lands at Leven occupied by myself and John Foster ...
Leven ...
late in the respective occupations of John Carline, William Forge [Forge may read William Tonge?], William Thompson and Charles Sleggs[?] my moiety and all other my share of the Wind Mill and other hereditaments at Leven ...
£1,500 unto and equally between such of my Nephews and Nieces the children of my brother Richard Hood living at my death ...
unto the Widow of my late Nephew Joseph Quarton of Stamford Bridge and my [two words name/s unreadable] Richardson ...
my Housekeeper Isabella [surname unreadable]
to the Trustees of the Primitive Methodist Connexion ... Isabella Cross ...
Each of my Trustees and Executors Richard Hood Thomas Davison and Wells Hood ...
to Richard Lyon of Catfoss ... Farmer ... chapels. 
I bequeath the sum of Four pounds to William Hood Hepton of Catwick aforesaid Yeoman ...
William Hood Hepton and to the issue then living of each child or children ...
children of Joseph Quarton ...
William Hood Hepton, my said Brother Richard Hood, the children of my said Brother Richard Hood, the said Joseph Quarton and BURTON RICHARDSON ...
I appoint Richard Hood of Stamford Bridge near York Wine and Spirit Merchant Thomas Davison of Spring Street in the Borough of Kingston upon Hull Gentleman and Wells Hood of the City of York Wine Merchant to be Trustees and also Executors
[the film was poor, the remainder was unreadable, if of interest, a scan of the original Will bundle perhaps].

Mark

Property of James Hood of Allerthorpe (Will 1770) and his Widow Ann (who had two Daughters Ann and Elizabeth) apparently passed to William Burton, Kirkby Misperton, with Robert Ward of New Malton as Trustee.

George Hood (origin unconfirmed) married Sarah Russell at Selby 1815, Russell had Burton links at Selby.

Any link please between Edward Burton of Selby (who married Sarah Daughter of William Silverwood of Wistow) and the William Burton of Kirkby Misperton?

Russell - Burton of Selby descent ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=756955.msg6278294#msg6278294

Thanks Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 13 October 17 10:11 BST (UK) »
Good Morning

Discovered another Hood link with Boroughbridge, Yorkshire.

In the September 1860 Diary of John Stubbs of Boroughbridge, he says how he accompanied Annie Hood by Rail to York, who was going to Leamington [Spa].

Anne Hood had a Boarding School for Ladies at Boroughbridge.

When I saw Hood, a Yorkshire place and Leamington together, I felt that she was likely to be connected to Wells Hood, former Wine and Spirits Merchant of York, because Anne Hood had a residence at Leamington Spa.

Anne HOOD
3rd January
The Will of Anne Hood (Wife of Wells Hood, Gentleman) late of 21 Lansdowne Place, Leamington Priors in the County of Warwick deceased who died 12 July 1865 at York in the County of York ...

Leeds Times, 22 July 1865
Anne, wife of Mr Wells Hood, and daughter of the late John Bower, Esq., of Hunslet, Leeds.

I have been wondering about a Boroughbridge (1846) listing recently, (posted for information).

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 03 May 19 00:40 BST (UK) »
Hello

16th May 1815 George Hood's Marriage Bondsman - Chester Newby of Whitley, baptised Kellington, August 1790

Register says Chester So. of Thomas & Hannah Newby, Whitley.

Fortunately when his Brother William Newby was baptised at Carlton, Snaith 25th September 1788, it gives a descent:-
William Newby Son of Thomas Newby Butcher of Carlton,- Son of John Newby of Hurst Farmer, by Elizabeth his Wife.
Hannah Dr. of William Chester Farmer, of Whitley by Jane his Wife.

Traced both back and the only recognisable surname to a Hood is Barratt, (although not able to check if same Barretts as Hull) signed Elizabeth Barrat and appears in the 8th July 1760 Marriage at Kellington with Whitley of:-
John Newby & Eliz Barratt by Banns

Barratt / Barrett
1817 Richard Hood & Elizabeth Barrett, Marriage, Sutton in Holderness (near Hull). Richard Hood of Jennings Street, Groves, died in 1838 aged 64 years and was buried Sutton 30th December. When Susannah a daughter married, her Certificate confirms him to be a Mariner.
(The Richard Hood & Elizabeth Barrett connection was 1817 and about 21 months after George Hood's Marriage Bond, but perhaps the couple were already courting or together, to make the link).

Been looking at some Barratt Marriages at Hull and also one who appears to be a George Wiliford (misspelt), Labourer and Elizabeth Lowsely 30th January 1832, which also has the same Jane Richardson, witness.

All have a Jane RICHARDSON witness (3 attached of the 4 found).

----------

I am most interested in the way the capital R was formed in the surname Richardson and comparing them with my Sarah Richardson who married John Hood, Tanner of Selby, at Sculcoates in 1846 and also has two Richardson witnesses.

I have thought before that my Sarah Richardson's forming of the R was quite unusual and the Jane Richardson examples are similar chair shaped and looking like St or Sh.

I feel the link is probably Barrett - Richardson and Wiliford.

----------

Richard Hurd (spelt Hood elsewhere) 24 years, Grocer of Stamford Bridge and Elizabeth Williford, Spinster, 28 of Scarborough, married Scarborough 24 April 1794.

When Richard Hood of Catton Widower & Charlotte Margaret Able married in 1810 at York, the witnesses were Jesse Robinson, Jun[?] and Francis JEFFERSON

Also John Hood of Selby, Mariner (buried 1819 aged 82), has a handful of links in 18th Century Parish and Marriage documents to John and Richard Jefferson of Scarborough.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 04 May 19 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hello

Wow it's Newby I thought at 8 this morning, just what I need!

Didn't see Nowley all day!

Indexed as Nowby.

6th December 1836 Kingston upon Hull, H.T. Church, England
William Nowley of Sculcoates, Colour Maker & Charlotte Dick, Spinster
by Licence
wits: Thomas Hewson and Jane Richardson (see images post above)

Just noticed William in 1841 Census and 1842 burial indexed as William Nowley!

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 10 August 19 22:32 BST (UK) »
Hello

16th May 1815 George Hood's Marriage Bondsman - Chester Newby of Whitley, baptised Kellington, August 1790

Register says Chester So. of Thomas & Hannah Newby, Whitley.

Fortunately when his Brother William Newby was baptised at Carlton, Snaith 25th September 1788, it gives a descent:-
William Newby Son of Thomas Newby Butcher of Carlton,- Son of John Newby of Hurst Farmer, by Elizabeth his Wife. [Hurst is about 3 miles from Snaith toward Kellington]
Hannah Dr. of William Chester Farmer, of Whitley by Jane his Wife.

Traced both back and the only recognisable surname to a Hood is Barratt, (although not able to check if same Barretts as Hull) signed Elizabeth Barrat and appears in the 8th July 1760 Marriage at Kellington with Whitley of:-
John Newby & Eliz Barratt by Banns

Barratt / Barrett
1817 Richard Hood & Elizabeth Barrett, Marriage, Sutton in Holderness (near Hull). Richard Hood of Jennings Street, Groves, died in 1838 aged 64 years and was buried Sutton 30th December. When Susannah a daughter married, her Certificate confirms him to be a Mariner.
(The Richard Hood & Elizabeth Barrett connection was 1817 and about 21 months after George Hood's Marriage Bond, but perhaps the couple were already courting or together, to make the link).

Hello

The 1817 Richard Hood & Elizabeth Barratt, Marriage was after my George Hood's 1815 Marriage Bond.

But how about this Marriage (seen image) and an earlier HOOD connection to Barratt ...

1796 Giles Bridgman of this Parish South Cave and Elizabeth Hood of ye same
by Licence, wits Wm Stather; Mary Swindale; John Barratt; Elzabeath Barratt & M Barrat [sic]

I'll order the Bond / Allegation (online listing suggests their Marriage was to be Snaith her Residence Parish?)

But, not certain if I have found any new HOOD relations.

----------

John Richardson, Watch Maker, Residence Selby, Father was William Richardson Watch Maker [of Bubwith] and Brother of my Sarah Hood (nee Richardson) first married:-
1850 John Richardson & Elizabeth Hallewell, Spinster, at Beverley, wit's Mifs Hind and likely my John Hood [the Tanner of Selby, Yorkshire].

When John Richardson, Watchmaker & Jeweller, late of Selby died at Howden in 1877 (Admin 1878) his Widow was Jane Richardson of Selby.
1877 31st January at Beverley
John Richardson, 55, Widower, Jeweller, Selby, Father was William Richardson, Jeweller,
married
Jane Larcum, 50, Widow, Beverley, Father was William Green, Inn Keeper, by Licence
Presence of Jno Green and Annie E Green.

Jane Richardson was Jane GREEN born Riston who first married at Beverley in 1854 Henry John Larcum, Cabinet Maker, also listed as a Victualler of the "Dog and Duck Inn" in Beverley. Jane Larcum's (nee Jane Green's) Father was William Green, Innkeeper, Lady Gate, Beverley, born Cowick [Snaith].

There are two Green of the Parish of Snaith links to my Hood of Selby family, John Green, Carpenter who rented a workshop in Wren Lane from George Hood (before 1841) and the above.

However, it is beginning to explain my late Grandmother's references to Snaith and Beverley.

John Newby married Ann Green at Snaith in 1834.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 29 February 20 07:04 GMT (UK) »
Wonder if he was a stepfather or something ? There aren't many Willifords about at all. Or Hales for that matter .

There is a Thomas Williford (surgeon) who marries a Judith Bell in 1768 Scarborough. Marriage licence states he was from Bridlington. There is one child William baptised there in 1770. Cannot find another Williford baptism in Scarborough or environs. Although an Ann Martha Williford marries early 1800's born c1785.

1779 Judith Williford dies, Thomas dies 1791. Judith's father was a wealthy man -

" Bell, John – Scarborough – (Will dated 1776 & Codicil 1779) – noted 1812 Certified copy of the Will & Codicil – wife Elizabeth, daughters Ann Bell, Dorothy Bell, Henrietta (w/o Nicholas Piper), Judith (w/o Thomas Williford), Elizabeth (w/o John Hebb),  son Thomas Bell, sister Ann Woolfe, brother Daniel Bell (York). Details of large number of properties in Scarborough include several Inns & a Coffee House and a number of Farms in Yorkshire including Newby, Throsenby, Scalby, Warthill & Helke."

claire

Hello

Other bits and pieces I have seen make me wonder if Richard Hood of Stamford Bridge was also linked to Scarborough.

Richard Hood to Geo Beilby, May 1798, Property at Scarborough
Book CR, 116, No 199 (North Yorks Property Registry) for property at Scarborough belonging to Richard Hood of Stamford Bridge and Elizabeth his Wife to George Bielby of Scarborough, Gentleman and that refers to the Will of Thomas Williford late of Scarborough Surgeon who was Son and Heir at Law of Wm Williford late of Scarborough Merchant and Sarah his Wife both deceased which said Sarah was the only child and Heiress at Law of Benjamin Fowler late of Scarborough aforesaid Master Mariner and Ann his Wife both deceased. ...

Goes on to refer to Benjamin Fowler and Ann his Wife of John Mowld Compass Maker and Judith his Wife and was formerly in the occupation of Thomas Bielby late of the said Thomas Williford Father of the said Elizabeth Hood and now of [unreadable on m/film] George Bielby ...

Witnessed by William Mc George and John Hardsman Lister both of Scarborough aforesaid Gentleman.
 ----------
CORRECTION: two McGeorge both witnessed the Will of Richard Spencer of Scarborough, Yorkshire, Taylor. Proved April 1785.
 ----------
My Hoods helped out the Widow of Thomas Gouldsbrough:-

Prerogative.
Will of Thomas Gouldsbrough
late of Selby Yeoman deced
24th October 1842 [sic] und 600:l

The Will of Thomas Gouldsbrough
of Selby
in the County of York
dated 17th April 1837.

Will transcribed (over two replies)
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=770770.msg6236112#msg6236112

Interesting a George CLARKSON, Junr was mentioned in the Will.

Thomas Gouldsbrough married Mary Russell a widow (of William Russell) nee Mary Burton and therefore links to my George HOOD when George Hood married Sarah Russell at Selby, Yorkshire in 1815.

Perhaps the Russell information on the Bible page was shown at the Manor of Selby Court, regarding Byefield, Selby, Yorkshire, taken on by the Hoods, when Mary Gouldsbrough became a widow.

Mark