Author Topic: Tracey Peter Powles  (Read 1955 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tracey Peter Powles
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 July 16 05:26 BST (UK) »
Alison, when you get to the index page for PROV wills the right-hand column says View_order_record

and under that are some file numbers. In the case of Thomas POWLES, died 1897, these are:
   VPRS 28/P0, unit 857;
VPRS 28/P2, unit 479;
VPRS 7591/P2, unit 273

Click on each of these and it will lead to the digitised records.  PROV is sometimes tricky to negotiate and I sometimes find that the records don't appear, so I need to try again (and again, sometimes!)  I find a slow deliberate click sometimes seems to work.  ::)

I notice this person on the index also - perhaps a relative?  Unfortunately these later documents are not availble on-line.

Tracy J POWLES, Dairy Farmer, of Katandra.  Died   14 Mar 1952   

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 July 16 05:30 BST (UK) »
The Enquirer and Commercial News 16 Dec 1893 p2
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/71894988?
.........obit for Tracey POWELL..........

At PROV  search for POWLES Thomas - waiting, waiting, waiting - then produces  only four finds -

Thomas POWLES  d. 1897 has three files. Click on  #479
Next window - click View Record - waiting, waiting, waiting.....opens to image of document.
Use vertical scroll bar to find page 8, or hover over page to find navigator bar on page with page numbers, up / down arrows to move through document.

How did you find the headstone at Condon?

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 July 16 05:37 BST (UK) »
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 July 16 05:40 BST (UK) »
Wouldn't his WA death cert have his wife's name on it?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline howe02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 14 July 16 05:44 BST (UK) »
Yes there are two Tracy (Tracey) Powles in the family - looking for the wife of WA man

Thanks for the info on how to use PROV, will keep trying - I did think I was doing the right thing but as you said it seems to not work sometimes

Found the headstone online because someone who travels the outback on 4WD trips - he photographs any graves he finds and puts them on a website and then found the message that Sarah Jude was trying to get some fencing fixed - it is a very lonely grave site and only one of a handful of graves that are marked

Thanks to everyone - I will see when I can figure out PROV what clues surface
Wondering if I can follow the Alice Powles who married Joshua Steel but nothing so far ...... Alison

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline howe02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 14 July 16 05:54 BST (UK) »
The WA certificates are $20 each (family history certificates) however it may not show much additional information - the WA index says parents Unknown so not hopeful what else it may contain - would it have the wife's name?  I am not sure  ........... Alison

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 14 July 16 06:00 BST (UK) »
I think that useful information for death certificate starts 1896 so you will just miss out. The marriage certificate, 1894, would ask for Alice's age and her father's name which will be useful to you.  It should record more information for groom, Joshua, and that will be useful to locate them both.

The marriage record might not be obvious if there is a transcription error to the online BDM databases.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 14 July 16 06:11 BST (UK) »
The "Lonely Graves" page for Condon cemetery says that Tracy's is the only headstone currently at the cemetery and gives some information for all of those known to be buried there.

http://wa4wd.net.au/lonely%20graves/Condon%20Cemetery.htm

The entry for him says
Powles, Tracy Peter   16/11/1893   Aged 46 (the headstone actually says 36.) He died of dysentery and was a carrier. This is the only headstone.  And also says: The only headstone shows the man Tracy Powles to be younger than research documents by 10 years. The comment made is incorrect as his birthdate gives an age at death of 38.

Obviously someone has done some research so perhaps contacting this site's owner may be helpful - it was updated 2013.  However, I couldn't get it to go back to the Home page.  :-\

Judith

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk