Author Topic: JOHN ROBERTSON asbestos manufacturer?  (Read 4154 times)

Offline Thwarted

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: JOHN ROBERTSON asbestos manufacturer?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 16 July 16 11:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie,
Thanks for your response(s), I am heading away from my computer for 4 days so anything that you send through I won't get to see until Wednesday.
Cheers
Brian R.

Offline BenArthur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 July 17 11:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Brian

I stumbled across this whilst doing some research. I live in your Great Grandfather's (ancestral) home in Scotland and have been visited by other Robertson descendants over many years.  I'm not sure if you are still active on this site, or if you will receive this message. I'm happy to share my information with you, if you message me.

Regards

Dominic

Offline Thwarted

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 16 July 17 13:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Dominic,
Many thanks for getting in touch with me, I really appreciate it.
We were in Scotland looking for our relatives last in 1997 and looked up the house (my memory is s bit hazy at the moment) I think it was called Roseneath in Clynder overlooking the Loch, there was a little stream running alongside the L/H boundary.
We have several photographs of my Great grandfathers high backed cane chairs with their initials worked into the cane as well as my great aunts standing outside the house. I understand that they are buried in Helensburgh. My grandfather Alexander was an industrial chemist who became an orchardist in South Australia.
I don't have many memories of my grand father who passed away when I was 5-6 years old, what I do remember is the sweet smell of condensed milk which I think he put on most things that he ate.
It would be great to hear from you again.
Cheers
Brian & Marion Robertson.

Offline BenArthur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 16 July 17 16:23 BST (UK) »
Brian

Thanks for getting in touch.  I am unable to send a Private Message to you on this topic, at the moment, as I am newly registered and need to have had a minimum number of posts, so I'l continue the dialogue here until I am able to share personal contact information privately.

Have you been in touch with Heather Waters and Bruce White?  They will be your first cousins, once removed, I guess... They have visited the house previously and Heather has shared some good information and photographs.

I have not communicated with her in a while, but I will send an email and see if she will reply.

Regards

Dominic

Offline BenArthur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 16 July 17 16:27 BST (UK) »
Brian

We have been doing some restoration and construction work in the garden and have uncovered a number of interesting artefacts which are likely to be your grandfather, Alexander's. I will take some photographs...

Regards

Dominic

Offline Thwarted

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 22 October 17 04:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Dominic,
I am getting re-motivated to find out more about my family history and will check the posts more often. In answer to your first post re Heather Robertson, yes we did meet her quite a few years ago when my father was still alive when we went to see my grandmothers grave in South Australia.
Heather has given us a lot of information on our family history. I don't know if she is still alive.
My grandfather (Alexander) was an industrial chemist with a background in what some might describe as snake oil, we have a copy of a letter written to him in 1907 requesting some of his hair restorer, wouldn't mind some of it myself!
Some records show my great-grandfather as an asbestos manufacturer but in the same letter written in 1907 the writer says he is being treated for rheumatism hopefully not with asbestos.
I will send photos of the cane chairs that we have with JR initials on them, also a copy of the letter requesting the hair restorer