Author Topic: Service Records for W T Hammond 1898 to 1919  (Read 420 times)

Offline Kaybron

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Service Records for W T Hammond 1898 to 1919
« on: Sunday 17 July 16 03:13 BST (UK) »
My grandfather William Thomas Hammond joined the Army Ordnance Corps in 1898.  He was discharged in 1919 after 21 years and 7 months service.  During this time he went to South Africa twice (1899-1903) and then again (1911-1914).  When he returned to South Africa the second time his wife Ada Olive and three children William Thomas, Ivy and Constance went with him.  While in South Africa a son was born at Roberts Heights.  Later he went to Russia and spent time there.

I have his service records from Ancestry (the burnt collection).  Two things that I would like some information about:

1)  Would there be a ship's passenger list that would have details about when Ada and the children went to South Africa?

2)  Would there be any other records of my grandfather's service apart from those that are on Ancestry.  I did read information about WO364 records and wondered if there would be anything here relating to William's service.

Kaybron

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Service Records for W T Hammond 1898 to 1919
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 July 16 07:07 BST (UK) »
Soldier's families 'on the strength', ie approved and on the married establishment, would travel with the regiment. So there were no passenger lists.

WO 364 was created after the 1940 fire from records sent following a request by the War Office to other departments for records no longer needed. So it is possible for a set to be in both series. But only if he had say died before the fire. Or another reason the second department no longer needed his record. Lots in WO364 are failed requests for a pension or a temporary disability pension, which had lapsed. This would not apply to a Regular receiving one for length of service.

Ken

Offline Kaybron

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Service Records for W T Hammond 1898 to 1919
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 July 16 01:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ken for this information.