Author Topic: Looking for baptism / parents of Mary Broad  (Read 1961 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for baptism / parents of Mary Broad
« on: Sunday 17 July 16 15:51 BST (UK) »
Mary Broad married Thomas Annetts (widower) in Chilton, Berks on 12 Mar 1799 (wit John Harris and Susanna Johnson). The 1841 census gives Mary's age as 75 (b abt 1766) and born in county (Berks). She is living in Chilton with husband Thomas and Ketura Annetts age 7. Ketura is her grandaughter. In 1851 she is widowed and in Wantage workhouse age 88 (b abt 1763) birth place Chilton. She died in 1852, so I only have two censuses to estimate her year of birth, but allowing for rounding in 1841, they are consistent. But I haven't been able to find a baptism in Chilton. I am wondering how accurate birthplace was on the 1851 census, I presume the form would be completed by a workhouse official and taken from admission records. It may just be where she was living before admission and not her actual birthplace. Any ideas anyone, please?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for baptism / parents of Mary Broad
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 July 16 23:42 BST (UK) »
Hi LizzieL,

I don't have any firm detail to give you, but have you considered it could be Chilton Foliat, Wilts where Mary was from?

Using Anc...y, several trees are suggesting she came from Wilts (Collingbourne Kingston) and on the FamilySearch.org there is a Mary Broad bapt. 23-2-1766 d/o Josuph [sic] .

Does this help?

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 July 16 08:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply. The Ancestry trees I've seen with Mary from Wilts say she never married but had three illegitimate children. Their births would overlap with the time my Mary married Thomas Annetts and was giving birth to my 2 x great grandfather. I suspect my Mary was from Berks and not too far from Chilton. Thomas was born in Inkpen and a William Annetts (who I think is one of his brothers) also born in Inkpen is living in Kintbury in 1851 and has a wife (also called Mary) from Chilton (Foliat) Wilts. Maybe that's where confusion came from
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 July 16 11:03 BST (UK) »
Hi LizzieL,

The only other Mary Broad i've found was bapt. 25-2-1770 in Faringdon d/o Thomas & Elizabeth.

I suspect that parish is too far away from Chilton.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 July 16 14:58 BST (UK) »
Does the marriage entry definitely describe Mary as a spinster or could she have been married previously, so Broad might not have been her maiden name?

She was about 33 - so quite possible.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 July 16 15:10 BST (UK) »
The marriage information was posted by a kind Rootschatter in answer to another poster's thread, but included quite a lot of information on my Annetts relatives

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=565049.0

The transcript mentions that Thomas was a widower but doesn't mention Mary's status. The same transcript has Thomas's son John and states he was a widower when he married Sarah Wallis (again Sarah's status not given - but she was definitely a spinster when she married.) I assume (but could be wrong) that if they were widowed it would be stated, but if no status mentioned the person would be bachelor / spinster.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 November 21 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi LizzieL,

The only other Mary Broad i've found was bapt. 25-2-1770 in Faringdon d/o Thomas & Elizabeth.

I suspect that parish is too far away from Chilton.

Alan

I've found a burial in Faringdon for a Mary Broad a few months later in 1770. Although it is only a transcript and doesn't mention age, I suspect it may be the same Mary

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 June 22 11:13 BST (UK) »
I've just checked Mary's death registration, her age was 84 in 1852, giving a year of birth about 1768.
But the age is only as good as the informant knows

I have recently had a Thrulines connection with a 6th cousin though the Broad line (KD). Our match is 28cM over 1 segment (unweighted 37, longest segment 37) which seems a bit high for 6th cousin. The funny thing is I already had him down on my tree, again as a 6th cousin, but through a different line (Hawkins). Ancestry doesn't pick that up because he only has has his ancestress's forename on his tree, so doesn't connect it to my ancestress's sister. If he's a double 6th cousin through two different lines would that account for the higher than expected match?

To add to the puzzle, KD's two daughter's have tested:
KN: 28cM (unw 36, ls 36)
JN: 27 cM (unw 36, ls 36)
and KN's two sons have tested:
FP: 27cM (unw 37, ls 37)
MP: 30cM (unw 36, ls 36)

I am really surprised that the same level match is seen in KD's children and grandchildren. I am not related to KD's wife.
His Broad line is from William Broad who married Ann Bailey in East Challow on 19 sept 1768. Several trees on line say he was the son of Robert Broad and Elizabeth Hicks. This couple also had a son John Broad, who these trees suggest was the father of my Mary. The problem is John was baptised in 1750, married in 1768, but his daughter Mary wasn't baptised until 4 july 1773 in either Leckhampstead or Winterbourne, Berks (their 3rd child).
Can anyone find this Mary elsewhere and prove she isn't mine?.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 July 22 08:28 BST (UK) »
I've just checked Mary's death registration, her age was 84 in 1852, giving a year of birth about 1768.
But the age is only as good as the informant knows

Mary died in Wantage Workhouse. The informant was an Elizabeth Tabor - present at death. looking at censuses there is a likely Elizabeth Tabor in the workhouse in 1851 described as nurse, I think the same Elizabeth in 1841 still in workhouse I think as an inmate. How would a non-relative know Mary's age? Age at death is not consistent with age given in 1851 (88).
If Mary' was born in 1768 her last child was born when she was 44.

I now have a second DNA match with a descendant of Broads from Winterbourne / Leckhampstead area not connected to the family I mentioned earlier. Could my Mary really be quite younger than records would show? It would make her about 13 years younger than her husband, but she was his second wife and a single woman when she married. I still can't find any more about Mary of Winterbourne after her baptism, any ideas?