Author Topic: Death Certificate - Smallwood of British Columbia  (Read 3129 times)

Offline Pau7a

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death Certificate - Smallwood of British Columbia
« on: Monday 18 July 16 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am looking for the death certificate for Frances Sophia Smallwood nee Skiff.  Frances was born in London in 1890.  She was married to Arthur Smallwood.  I know that she was living in Hollyburn, West Vancouver in 1937. She had a daughter called Iris Arthurina Smallwood, who married Bryan Lancelot Good and possibly a daughter called Eileen. Any other information on the family would be most welcome.

Thank you
Paula

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Death Certificate - Smallwood of British Columbia
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 July 16 19:12 BST (UK) »
No clue as to whether this one would be yours - Canada Voters List 1945 shows a Frances Smallwood  (widow) - 2508 Marine Drive Vancouver.
You have this already but wil pop it here for reference -
Marriage of daughter - Iris Arthurina Smallwood - 24 April 1937 - Hollyburn Canfield British Columbia.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G9KZ-6HDB?mode=g&i=1407&wc=S6V1-GP8%3A1392147101%3Fcc%3D1307718&cc=1307718

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline LindaGW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 July 16 21:18 BST (UK) »
One of two hits that come up in a google search for "Arthurina Good" is a reference to divorce papers between Iris April Arthurina Good and Bryan Lancelot Good in New South Wales, Australia.  Unfortunately the website seems to be down at the moment as I am having trouble accessing the link.

Offline Pau7a

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 July 16 22:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Sandra. I did have the marriage record but not the voting information.

Thanks you, Linda.  Yes, Bryan moved to Australia and remarried. I haven't seen any information regarding their divorce though.

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 July 16 23:24 BST (UK) »
As far as I can see , Arthur T Smallwood married Frances S Stone ( not Skiff )
4 1915 Richmond , Surrey.

The birth registrations for Arthurine I Smallwood J-S 1916 Kensington 1a 127 and Eileen F Smallwood A-J 1918 Hendon 3a " see Sept 1921 " ( re- registration in 1921 ) both show mother's maiden name Stone.

In view of the above I wonder about this death :
http://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/genealogy-images/004479254/004479254_00239.jpg

Frances Sophia Bowman , born 3 Feb 1890 , father Stone , widow of Charles Bowman , died 25 Aug 1963. Victoria , BC

There is also a death registration for a Charles Broughton Bowman 17 Jan 1949 Victoria , BC , naming wife Frances Smallwood
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6FX7-1TM?i=2358&wc=S62D-PTL%3A1069410701%3Fcc%3D1538285&cc=1538285
( If this is correct there is a large age difference between the couple ).
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pau7a

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 July 16 23:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks CB. Yes, that's right, Frances was born Sophia Frances Stone, but raised as Schiff, then Skiff. So it's all a bit confusing and sometimes she used Stone, other times, Skiff. 

I now think she married Arthur Smallwood in England and then Francis Willoughby Smallwood in Canada. I am not sure what happened to Arthur.  Francis died at the end of 1944.

I was just about to write that I doubt that Frances would have remarried that quickly, until I saw the date of birth on the death record for Frances Sophia Bowman. Which is an exact match. So thank you very much, I think you have found the right one. And thank you again to everyone else who took their time to search for me - I really appreciate it.

Best wishes
Paula

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 July 16 23:54 BST (UK) »
Virginia Divorce Records :

Eileen Francesca Smallwood
aged 60
born 30 Apr 1918 England
married 30 Jun 1941 Vancouver
divorced 28 Feb 1979
Arlington, Virginia, USA
spouse John Laurence McHugh

Canada Obit:
Eileen Francesca Ginger Smallwood McHugh
born 30 Apr 1918 died 25 Dec 2012 Arlington, Virginia
spouse Dee
children : private as probably living
siblings :Barbera Finlay, Iris Haverfield Brown ( Vancouver ) , Anthony W Smallwood ( Vancouver ), Stella Chamberlain
father Arthur T Smallwood

Someone else on the forum may have access to look at this obituary , dated 9 Jan 2013, and check the details.

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 00:04 BST (UK) »
Arthur Thomas Smallwood , 370 Upper Richmond Road Putney, died 25 Nov 1922, Administration with Will ( limited ) to Henry Armstrong Smallwood , attorney of Frances Sophy Smallwood widow.
Effects £ 50. Probate date 21 Dec 1925.

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 00:25 BST (UK) »
Frances Smallwood 34, Ursuline Smallwood 9 and (private) Smallwood 3 sailed 6 Jun 1924 from Southampton to Quebec on the Antonia.

Iris Smallwood 9 and Eileen 7 sailed 8 May 1925 Southampton to Montreal.

(Ursuline R Smallwood J-M 1916 Richmond Surrey 2a 911 , mother Stone)