Author Topic: Corry family of Monaghan  (Read 4465 times)

Offline Jennifer Morris Lyons

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Corry family of Monaghan
« on: Monday 18 July 16 18:34 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for the family of my 4th great grandfather George Vaughan Corry. He was in Clontarf, Dublin at the time of his marriage 28 June 1813. He appears to have died in Hammersmith, Middlesex, England in 1831. He is related to Thomas Charles Steuart Corry. I believe he may be the son of Rev. John Corry and Alice Vaughan. John and Alice did have a son named George, but I have no information on him.
Any leads would be most appreciated.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Corry family of Monaghan
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 July 16 18:49 BST (UK) »
Galloon 1747. John Corry appears and up to 1764 (V.B.) ; was son of Isaiah Corry, "gen.", b. afc
Gribby, Co. Mon,., ed. by Mr. Folds, Carrickmacross, ent. T.C.D. Sep. 24, 1723, aged 18,
B.A. 1728. He was C. St. Werburgh's, Dub., 1736-8, was app. J.P., Co. Mon., 26 Feb.,
1738, being then " of Finfield, Rockcorry."

He married Alice, dau. of Rev. John Vaughan (father of Rev. Geo. V. above) and his Will /codicil), dated 10 Sep., 1782, was proved 2 Aug., 1786. By his wife Alice (who d. 23 Nov., 1791) he had issue
(1) John, of Sporthall, Co. Mon., J.P. Co. Mon. M.A. Glasgow 1765, H. Sheriff, Co. Mon. 1769, m. Feb.
1762, Catherine, dau. of Chas. Coote, of Cootehill, M.P. for Co. Cavan, and d. 1768 ;

(2) Thomas, of Fairfield, H. Sheriff Co. Mon. , 1782 , married Rebecca Stewart, of Bailieborough
was ancestor of the Corrys, of Rockcorry;

(3) Isaiah, of Ballytrain, Co. Mon., m. 1st Catherine, wid. of Geo. Scott and dau. of Lancelot Fisher, married. 2nd 8 Deo., 1777, Barbara, yst. dau. of Rev. Andrew Nixon, B. A., V. of Ahamplish (Elphin) and C. Anagh (Belturbet) and d. (Will pr. 28 April, 1820) leaving issue ;

(4) James, of Shantonagh, Co. Mon., married Mary, dau. of John Ruxton, M.P., of A? dee House, and Was ancestor of the Fitzherberts, of Black Castle, Co. Meath ;

(5) George ;

(6) William ;

and daus.

(1) Anne, married 1st 30 June, 1750, Robert Lambert Tate, of Dunlady, Co. Down, H. Sheriff, Co. Down,
1762, and 2ndly, Robert M'Leroth, of Comber, H. Sheriff, Co. Down :

(2) Alicia, married John Smyth ;

(3) Frances, m. William Hughes ;

(4) Susanna, m. Richard Battersby (H.B.S.)
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 July 16 20:15 BST (UK) »
My George Vaughan Corry may be a later generation. I believe he was born 1765-1775.
I find a baptismal record on rootsireland.ie for a George Corry in Ematris, Monaghan on 28 November 1764 with a father of Captain Thomas Corry. Is this my 4x great grandfather.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 July 16 20:58 BST (UK) »
You  believe he may be the son of Rev. John Corry and Alice Vaughan.....

John Corry   was son of Isaiah Corry, "gen.", b. Gribby, Co. Mon,., ed. by Mr. Folds, Carrickmacross, ent. T.C.D. Sep. 24, 1723, aged 18,B.A. 1728. He was C. St. Werburgh's, Dub., 1736-8, was app. J.P., Co. Mon., 26 Feb.,1738, being then " of Finfield, Rockcorry."

He married Alice, dau. of Rev. John Vaughan (father of Rev. Geo. V. above) and his Will /codicil), dated 10 Sep., 1782, was proved 2 Aug., 1786. By his wife Alice (who d. 23 Nov., 1791) he had issue

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 July 16 20:59 BST (UK) »

(5) George!!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 July 16 21:03 BST (UK) »
Charles Stewart died in 1740 and left the estate to his son, William Stewart, who was High Sheriff of Cavan for 1749 and MP for Cavan county (1766–1768). He was followed by his son Charles, who was also MP for Cavan (1783–1793).

He was killed in an accident in 1795, when the estate passed to a nephew, Thomas Charles Stewart Corry,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bailieborough_Castle

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 July 16 21:19 BST (UK) »
In affectionate remembrance of Mary Steuart^ relict of the late Thomas
Charles Steuart Corry , Rockcorry Castle, Co, Monaghan ;
Born at Brandon^ Suffolk, May 23rd, 1795 ;
Died at Belfast, Ireland, November 2nd, 1871

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 July 16 21:22 BST (UK) »
The above was from his book

Irish Lyrics, Songs & Poems by Thomas Charles Stewart Corry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 July 16 21:23 BST (UK) »
Yes, I saw that. Now I need to match dates. Nobody seems to have any information about that George. My George was a barrister in London and lived at Lincoln Inn. He married  Elizabeth Mary Aldridge, daughter of John Aldridge and Jane Toll of Middlesex County, England on 28 June 1813 in Hammersmith, Middlesex, England. George and Elizabeth had three daughters. Interestingly, one daughter (my 3x great grandmother) is Emilia Sophia Corry, the same name as one of Thomas Charles Steuart Corry's daughters. George's will, found on the Bank of England Wills Extracts 1717-1845, on Find My Past, named Thomas Charles Steuart Corry, John Aldridge and two others as executors. The will also indicates that Thomas Charles Steuart Corry is the nephew of the deceased. There were a father and son with the name Thomas Charles Steuart Corry.