Author Topic: Father Charles Grant MacDonald  (Read 4808 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Father Charles Grant MacDonald
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 25 November 18 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Possible probable definite, but let it stand - red herring time .... Could the nephew have been Claude Hooper Bater, born 12 May 1862 in Barnstaple, Devon, parents Alfred Bater and Mary Ann Hooper? He graduated MA (not MB) from the university of Glasgow in 1891 and is in the 1891 census in Partick. Though I can't see any obvious - or even possible - connection. He died in Kent in 1934 and probate was granted to Emily Rose Bater (b 1900), wife of Ernest Perkins Powell. Emily was the daughter of William Alfred Bater, born in Barnstaple in 1855, Claude's elder brother.

The 1895 Valuation Roll lists 4 occupiers at 6 Carrick Street - Isabella Prophet, Agnes Pirie, Murdoch Matheson and Thomas Wilson, so if Claude Bater was still there in 1895, he must have been a lodger or boarder.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 25 November 18 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Charles McDonald, Roman Catholic Minister, single, died aged 74 on 7 Oct 1894 at St Clair Villa, West King Street, Helensburgh. 
Just noticed - that is a discrepancy of 15 years in his age. If he was born on 30 June 1835 he was only 59 on 7 October 1894.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 25 November 18 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peanutbutter  :)

I think your post has got lost on this other ongoing post.

Why don't you start a brand new post on your Jessie Garden? This would work better I think for you and let people see it better.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 29 November 18 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Why don't you start a brand new post on your Jessie Garden? This would work better I think for you and let people see it better.

Hi Pb,

I would agree with Monica but meanwhile I would ask...if/when you decide on a separate post could you please include all known info. about your ancestor?

The info. you have...

Looking for any information on Jessie Garden married to James Ellis in 1864

...is available to download on scotlandspeople.gov.uk which will give both sets of parents including mothers' maiden name.

GARDEN JESSIE & ELLIS JAMES 1864
224/ 1 Monymusk, Aberdeen(shire) not 'City'

Scottish certs. can only be accessed via above site i.e. not online anywhere else.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"