Author Topic: Atkinson in the 1700's  (Read 3386 times)

Offline Neko

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Atkinson in the 1700's
« on: Sunday 25 July 04 16:35 BST (UK) »
Richard Atkinson baptised 6 Nov 1743 parish of Long Marton, Westmoreland, son of Robert and Mary. nothing is know about Robert and Mary beyond their given names.
Richard married 28 Apr 1766 to Ann Airey. nothing is known about her.
they had 4 known children;
Robert bapt. 4 Dec 1766 in Brampton
Richard bapt. Mar 1770 in Knock
Mary bapt. 19 Dec 1770 in Esperlandhill
Ann bapt. 17 Feb 1774 in Esperlandhill

why is there 4 years between Robert and Richard?

is this them?
1778 Constables census, Long Marton, Westmoreland

Richd ATKINSON Head  Weaver M

Ann ATKINSON Wife Spinster F

these are the only Richard and Ann Atkinson's in the whole census. there are no children with them, but next door is a Robert Atkinson. this is the right place for our Robert, but he has a different wife with a first child named Ann. the occupation is also correct for the family.

this family group is tentative. I cannot prove it to be correct beyond a shadow of a doubt. attempts to find a will for Richard have been unsuccessful.
I have been unable to find marriages or burials for any of the children other than Robert.
Robert married Mary Aitken of Kendal. they had 11 children in Kirkby Thore, then removed to Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA.
those children were;
John who m. Julia Wilhelm
Anne who is said to have died age 20
Hannah who m. Edward Steacy
Sarah who m. 3 times-Mr. Hudgson, Mr. Mitchell, Mr. Dupre
Mary Jane who m. Mark Atkinson
James who m. Lydia Ann Watt
Jane who m. Elias Bonine
Robert who m. Mary Taylor
Richard who d. age 26 of small pox, unmarried?
Elizabeth who m. William Cross of Colchester, Essex, England
Aitken who died age 19 of a hunting accident
Ann who was born in either Maryland or Pennsylvania and died as an infant.
as far as I can tell, the whole family came to America, though I have had trouble finding anything on Sarah or Robert.
Elizabeth and William are my direct ancestors.
if anyone can add to this, make corrections or direct me to information that will help me find more on this family, I'd appreciate it.
Airey Aitken Atkinson Alston Barr*tt Cross Freeman Gage Harlock Harris Hawkins Head Hudd Parker Peckover Pennington Rayner Richards Seaman Smith Smyth Waterfall

Elizabeth Burnham, Mary Church, John Davis Cooper, Hannah Cork, Aubrey Cross, Mary J. Docwra, Elizabeth Griffiths, Chas Halifax, John Head, Lavinia King, Mary & Martha Mayhew, Alfred Augustus Mayo, Wm Pettit, Hezekiah Richards, Martha Sewell, Rebecca Sidnell, Hannah Smith, Augustin Smyth, Annie Southan, Catherine Till/Tell, Fanny Watt