Author Topic: Mary Ann Nottage/White, Sawbridgeworth, Herts married Frederick White 1840  (Read 1056 times)

Offline mmkiwi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family search / ancestry lists the marriage of Frederic White aged 19 to Mary Ann Nottage aged 30 in Sawbridgeworth, Herts in 1840.   Fathers names listed as Charles White and Samuel Nottage.  But I cant find the record to view anywhere that I have searched.

Mary Ann is on the 1841 census in Sawbridgeworth with Sarah Nottage aged 55, James Nottage aged 55, Charles Nottage 5, William Nottage (i think) 30, Catherine Nottage 20, Frederick White 15, Mary White 25 and Henry Nottage 2.   
Census ref is HO107 /434 9

Charles Nottage and Henry Nottage are Mary Ann's children from prior to marriage to Frederick

1851 census has James Nottage with Charles 15 listed as Grandson.   And Mary Ann and Frederick are listed at a different location with Henry Nottage (though he is listed as son in law when really he is step son to Frederick).

Can anyone direct me to the original documents for marriage so I can see if the Samuel Nottage is a transcription error as I think Mary Ann's father was James Nottage from Essex.

thanks

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Nottage/White, Sawbridgeworth, Herts married Frederick White 1840
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 14:24 BST (UK) »
The original marriage cert is not available online - you would have to buy a copy which costs £9.25.  You can order online from www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

The reference you need is June qtr 1840    Bishops Stortford   Volume 6  Page    667
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 16:56 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately FindMyPast only has Sawbridgeworth marriage registers up to end June 1837, then starts again in the 1880s in new style register. Looks like at least one book hasn't been scanned.
Looking at Netteswell baptisms, Mary Ann is baptised on 2 July 1809 d/o James and Sarah.
Also bapt to same couple at Netteswell
William 23 Aug 1807
James 7 Apr 1811
Elizabeth 1 Apr 1812
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 17:06 BST (UK) »
James Nottage bac married Sarah Harris sp botp in Roydon on 31 Oct 1802, he signed she made her mark. wit James Watts and Daniel Corssey (?)
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 18:07 BST (UK) »
Couldn't find any children between marriage and the first baptised in Nettlewell in Roydon PRs, but there were a couple bapt to Edward and Sarah Nottage. Possibly related.

James and Sarah had 3 children bapt in Sawbridgeworth
Edward 5 Mar 1815, Catherine 14 Dec 1817 and Richard 11 jan 1824.
Catherine is with James and Sarah in 1841 and married James Ward in Sawbridgeworth in 1843. Transcript father as James Nottage.
I also think Samuel is a mistake on Mary Ann's record. Either the transcriber or the clerk made a mistake on original record. Surprising if that was the case as the family had been in the town / village for 25 years. It was probably quite a small place in the 1840s, now developed into practically a suburb of BS - main street is nightmare to drive along whatever time of day.

Offline mmkiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 23:34 BST (UK) »
thanks carolw .. feel a bit silly that I didnt think to look in certificates... a few of my lines I am back to parish records only so I just put brain into that focus ...

Offline mmkiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 July 16 01:02 BST (UK) »
thanks for the all the info you located LizzieL.   Just to clarify you think that James Nottage and Sarah married 1802, had 4 children in Nettleswell (including the Mary Ann I am seeking), then had 3 further in Sawbridgeworth.    And it appears from the census that only Mary Ann and Catherine survived.   Though there is one on the 1841 census that I think is a William aged 30 - looks like a W with a small m connected to it.   But by the age would suggest it is a James.   Also possible that any other sons may have moved away and married etc or been working elsewhere .. as they would have been of age last being born in 1824 so would be 16-17.

Are you looking in the essex database for the records?  I havent explored that at all as trying to figure out everything I need to find before I sign up to subscribe.  For the Nettleswell church there appears to be a gap in records, on the essex database if I am reading their info correctly.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 July 16 08:32 BST (UK) »
Yes I found the Nettlewell records from the SEAX site. It appears that there is a gap in the baptism records from the list which comes up after you select the church. But prior to 1812, baptisms and burials were in the same record book. If you go to the book for burials up to 1812 and browse the pages in the front section you get the baptisms from late 1700s up to 1812.