Author Topic: Seeking a family who lived in Geraldton in Western Australia.  (Read 21015 times)

Offline CallyJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking a family who lived in Geraldton in Western Australia.
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 24 September 17 09:08 BST (UK) »
A English passenger named Henry ABERY, aged 26 years, travelled from Melbourne to Hobart Town on the barque Oceanica on the 29 September 1852.

This Henry Abery would have been born around 1826-27.

Over the years I have searched variations of the spelling of Aubrey but have not found anything. I always wondered why a 15 year old boy (born in 1837) would come to Australia on his own in 1852.

An item in the Geraldton Express of Friday, 27 December 1907, page 4, in a column called Yalgoo Yappings said:

"Harry Aubery, an old identity of the district, died last night (Sunday) after a short illness. Deceased was 70 years of age, and had been about the district for the last fifty years. He leaves a family of one son and three or four daughters, none of whom were near enough to get here in time for the funeral, which took place today."

I will do some more research and post any information I find.

Offline Bish29

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 18 February 18 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi. My grandmother was Eileen may Aubrey. Later Clarke. Her mother was Minnie Aubrey. She was born in 1910 and passed away 2010. We were not allowed to pry. As she put it into her background until she died. She was I believe put into an orphanage as a part aboriginal. From her grandmothers side. Jane governor. I've just started my research so any help would be great. I'm pretty new to this and keep hitting brick walls.

Offline Myangels

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 04:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I would be very interested in knowing more on the Fitzgerald Family for Geraldton if anyone had any. Have just started researching my dads side of the family. Edwin Stewart Fitzgerald is my Great Grandad who married Edith Fitzgerald (Parsons).

Offline CallyJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 09 November 18 01:55 GMT (UK) »
I refer to my previous post on 24 September 2017.

I still haven't found my great grandfather Henry Aubrey but was told some information from an Aubrey cousin. Henry was an Irishman and he had red hair. He was also a teacher.

The red hair explains where the red hair comes from in my own and extended family.

I was told that many Irish people travelled to Liverpool to depart the UK and put Liverpool as their birthplace on the documentation.

Offline Lenah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 05:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Offline GeneAddict

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 22 August 19 02:10 BST (UK) »
Hi all, Just thought I would give an update as to where I am at with my search for Henry Aubrey in case any of you have any ideas on where to go from here. I have been using hubby's DNA matches and focusing on those who have DNA in common on the Aubrey side. I have built out some 'play' trees to see if they help. So far, I have found several DNA matches who all descend from an Irish couple who emigrated to USA - John Barnes (Barrins/Berrane/Beirne) and Mary Golden. They were born in County Mayo Ireland in the 1860's and emigrated to Chicago, Illinois. I have been able to determine their parents were Patrick Barnes + Anne Rutledge and John Golden + Margaret Kelly, all born late 1820's / 1830's. But the records for this time / area are not the best so haven't been able to go back a generation, or even determine siblings for any of the latter. There is a good chance that Henry Aubrey is actually a sibling (which ties in with your Irish theory CallyJ) and that he changed his name somewhere along the way. At the moment I am not sure how to proceed from here, until another prominant DNA match appears. If any one has any ideas, please feel free to let me know!! Would love to break through this major brickwall.

Offline Native88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 25 August 19 07:32 BST (UK) »
AUBREY Arthur b.(c)1910 (at M.R.N.S 29.6.1922 No 354)
AUBREY Bridget b.(c)1884 dtr of Henry Aubrey and Jane
AUBREY Ellen b.(c)1881 dtr of Henry Aubrey and Jane
AUBREY Henry b.(c)1830 (Liverpool England) d.22.12.1907 (Cumberland Hotel Yalgoo)
(Yalgoo) marr (Dongarra)(c)1865 Jane (Ab) b.(c)1834 d.24.12.1891 (Albany), iss,
Julia b.(c)1873, Ellen b.(c)1881, Thomas b.(c)1882, Bridget b.(c)1884, Louisa b.(c)1886,
Mary b.(c)1888, Margaret b.(c)1888, Minnie b.(c)1890 ( 3 males dec'd prior to 1907)
AUBREY Julia b.(c)1873 dtr of Henry Aubrey and Jane
AUBREY Louisa b.(c)1886 dtr of Henry Aubrey and Jane
AUBREY Maggie , chd; Jason b.10.5.1970 (Roebourne)(see LEE Thomas)
AUBREY Margaret b.(c)1888 dtr of Henry Aubrey and Jane
AUBREY Mary b.(c)1888 dtr of Henry Aubrey and Jane
AUBREY Minnie b.(c)1890 dtr of Henry Aubrey and Jane
AUBREY Phyllis, chd; Paul b.4.5.1970 (Roebourne)
AUBREY Thomas b.(c)1882 son of Henry Aubrey and Jane
AUBRY Ann marr William Pearce (see PEARCE)

Offline Lenah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 16 September 19 06:05 BST (UK) »
Cando

Thomas FitzGerald and Thomas Martin Cowan were the same man … he used an alias, have no idea why.

He was my grandfather; my mother was his daughter by Hannah Helena.  I never met him.  He served with a Western Australian machine gun squadron in Malaysia, was imprisoned as a POW in Changi and came back, as many did, with fairly serious psychological issues - hence the breakdown of his marriage.  He founded the Western Australian cray-fishing industry etc,

Lenah

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 16 September 19 13:19 BST (UK) »
Lenah.......One of my earlier replies......

Bingo....I think this is our elusive Thomas Martin...

COWAN George Thomas Martin       
Father Walter William     Mother Annie McINNES
District Perth  Reg#4820   1903

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article67101278
The Geraldton Guardian & Express  27 Jun 1929
PERSONAL
The engagement is announced of Hannah Helena, eldest daughter of Mr and Mrs J E Olsen, of Oakagee, to Thomas Martin, fourth son of Mrs J H Fitzgerald, of Francis Street, Geraldton.

Australian Electoral Roll
FITZGERALD Annie  333 Marine Parade  Geraldton  HD
FITZGERALD James Hawkins  383 Marine Parade  Geraldton  Retired.

Marriage
FITZGERALD James H   
COWAN Annie
District Perth   Reg#437   1910   

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk