Author Topic: Kate Hunt born 1883/1884 Charles Hunt father  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Rose Dempsey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kate Hunt born 1883/1884 Charles Hunt father
« on: Thursday 21 July 16 00:24 BST (UK) »
Trying to find her mother's last name.

I have Catherine, known as Kate. Yet trying to find out if her mother's maiden name was Winner, as some researchers think, or Green, as others do.

I am not finding a marriage cert either. 1891 census has them at 8 Clarkson Street in West Ham.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Rose

POYSER, HUNT families Canning Town/West Ham 1850s-1970s
LEWIS, BURTON families Bethnal Green/Hackney 1800s - 1900s
POYSER - Blore area in Staffordshire 1750s-1850s Hodgkinson,Murphen around Blore also

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kate Hunt born 1883/1884 Charles Hunt father
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 July 16 00:50 BST (UK) »
In 1901 Charles is shown as Charles H Hunt.

A Charles Henry Hunt married Catherine Ann Green Or Elise Louise Schlamp Or Francis X Von Dziegielwski in Shoreditch in 1878.

However, to be certain this is correct you really need to buy Catherine Jr's birth certificate, which will name both parents.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Rose Dempsey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 July 16 02:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks. Yes, that was my next step. I had Catherine Green but some other researchers have a lady named Winner as the wife and they are other descendants of my gggrandfather so they have kind of got me confused and doubting what I had found. Thanks again!

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 July 16 08:39 BST (UK) »
Baptism details:

St Michael & All Angels, Bromley

2 Sep 1883

Catherine, daughter of Charles (rivetter) and Catherine, of 4 Thomas St.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Rose Dempsey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 July 16 11:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much, that's awesome!

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 July 16 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm not sure that the marriage in 1878 found by Jomot is the right one. The 1891 and 1901 census give Catherine/Kate's age as 1863 that would make her only 15 in 1878.

I think that the 1878 marriage could belong to this couple showing in Shoreditch in 1881,

1881  RG11/408  f.29  p.5  Shoreditch
71 Angrave St

Charles HUNT    Head    31    Paper Hanger              Middlx  St Lukes
Catherine             Wife    28    (formerly a machinist)       "    Hackney
Henry                    Son     2                                               "    Shoreditch
Amelia                  Daur     6m                                           "        "

This Catherine could be the Catherine A GREEN b.1853, Hackney, living in South Hackney in 1861, RG9/164  f.6  p.9

Sorry that this could be bad news but better to be sure than sorry :)

Unfortunately I can't see another marriage that would fit your Catherine and Charles. I agree with Jomot that getting Catherine Jnr's birth cert. might be the only way to be sure who her mother is.

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 July 16 13:28 BST (UK) »
Do you you have Charles on the 1881 census?

Was he at West Ham with parents Charles and Emily?

I can't see a marriage to a Green or Winner on FreeBDM, can you? The only one I can see is in 1884 to Catherine Gould, but it's in Swansea.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Rose Dempsey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 July 16 14:45 BST (UK) »
I am still trying to track down. I had an Ellen as Charles mother, from one of the documents but shall have to go back and relook at the writing as it may be Emily, and I will need to check that out. I did find an entry for Catherine Green and Charles Hunt as Jomot had. Not sure about the other census though as that has Charles at 31 when he would have only been 21 so I don't think that is him. Seems I may need to get both Kate's birth cert and his!

Gosh this gets expensive doesn't it? LOL.  Thanks for all the help. I do appreciate it

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 July 16 15:20 BST (UK) »
Oh yes, very expensive, especially if they turn out to be wrong ones. I have a few dud ones.

I think they married after 1881. My reason being that when they started having children they kept having them, as per 1891 census. A very fertile family they were.  ;) So, if they had married say in 1878, you'd think that there would be some birth activity before the birth of Catherine junior, in 1883.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams