Author Topic: Should the time to edit posts be reduced?  (Read 19685 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Should the time to edit posts be reduced?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 23 July 16 00:14 BST (UK) »
even though 24 hours is the same for everybody around the world our eight hours of sleep may be taken at completely different times, along with a times of a normal workday. 

So if a person posted something at 8pm in the evening, then slept, went to work, came home had their tea/dinner/BBQ then they could well still just have enough time to edit their post with the current 24 hours.

Trystan

I agree that 24hrs is perfect for most although possibly not long enough for some....depending on circumstances.

I do think however that if the original poster makes significant changes/edits....they should actually quote their original submission prior to the edit with the original post to inform previous respondents of a significant change & include a note to say........"SEE EDIT ON ORIGINAL POST" & a wee explanation as to having the original info. wrong  ???

On another note though....

I have read "Subject" headings which have drawn me to a thread & the info. contained thereafter by the poster on the thread has no significance to the original "Subject" heading ::)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 23 July 16 00:19 BST (UK) »
The current editing time suits me.

I'm often posting via a device that is a bit "wobbly" and prone to shutting down the browser unexpectedly, so I like to post and then edit before a post gets too long as it is rather frustrating to type out a message and then have to retype.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 23 July 16 02:06 BST (UK) »
I'm happy with the 24 hour limit too. When it was first introduced (after having unlimited edit time) I didn't think it would give enough time, as I'd sometimes returned to previous threads to discover spelling mistakes that I could not live with.  ;D However I am used to the 24 hour limit and find it works well.

I know some people do alter their posts but I have not noticed the substantial content changes others have mentioned.

I often fiddle with my posts after posting, but generally to make slight changes or to add something (and I try to include the word 'added'). It has even happened that I have posted something which, upon reflection, I think may not be appropriate, or may be open to misinterpretation, so I choose to delete or substantially change it. I must add that this has never messed up the flow of a thread but I like to have some flexibility to make changes if I wish.

15 minutes to change a post would not be enough for me. On some fast moving threads even 15 minutes can see numerous other posts made. People can always chip in and say that a particular post has been highly edited hence replies may not make sense ....

I thought that an edited post showed the time it was last edited? :-\

I do quite a lot of rootschatting on my ipad with a small text window and sometimes have to rush a reply and return later to find lots of typos. How embarrassing.

I think that removing or reducing the ability to edit your own post may lead to "bitty" posts where you will have to say "I forgot to add such and such to my previous post", even if there have been no other replies, or any replies given do not relate to what you have posted. As it is now, you could return to your post and add whatever you wanted to add. It will also give the moderators more work to do with people requesting them to make changes to their posts.

Sorry this is a bit long winded.  :)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 23 July 16 02:37 BST (UK) »
Works perfectly for me!  Status Quo please.

I really don't know why this is a problem for the OP!  Perhaps a literacy problem?  ???

I notice this thread is also posted in PLEASE DON'T POST REQUESTS HERE!

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 23 July 16 04:14 BST (UK) »
If anything i'd increase the time to 2 days   I often have to rush off and cant get back to computer on same day

but there is still apossibility to request modifiers to alter something or add a note if there's a serious thing .

on GR we can edit at any time most people add a star at bottom of post then an explanation of what they.ve modified .

I think this site is brilliant .
+ people on it make suggestions + critisisms very politely

lots of respect flies around even when opinions differ .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 23 July 16 04:30 BST (UK) »

I really don't know why this is a problem for the OP!  Perhaps a literacy problem?  ???

Everyone else who has contribute to this thread seems to be offline at the moment, so I will offer a suggesion until the OP returns to explain, but I am guessing that this was posted on the "how to use rootschat" board because it a question about a 'feature' within rootschat. It is also not a request, more a suggestion, so I can understand the reason for starting the thread here.

Both Sarah and Trystan have contributed to the thread and seem happy to leave it where it is. :)

On the threads that my and Arthur's paths have crossed I have always found him to be extremely articulate, very helpful, his replies are thoughtful and well intended, and he never (that I have noticed  ;)) gets it wrong.

I suppose it just takes a couple of occasions where editing posts effects someone's (often much researched) contributions to a thread, to spur them look for changes to be made to prevent this happening again. I am presuming this may be the case here and the reason for this thread.  :)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 23 July 16 06:06 BST (UK) »
The current set-up suits me fine. :)

But if there is to be a change in the time to edit posts, I would prefer something a bit longer than 10 or 15 minutes.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 23 July 16 08:43 BST (UK) »

Sorry Jeanne, I also have to come to Arthur's defence here, although I haven't, to my knowledge, had any dealings with him before. I think what he was concerned about was the fact some people go back to their post hours later and add things, which then makes the following posts superfluous or nonsensical. I have had one or two cases where I've posted a reply, only to find a previous poster has then edited their post and added that fact. It then makes it look as if I haven't read the thread properly!

I'm not sure where literacy comes into this and as Ruskie said it isn't really a request as such, I always read that as meaning don't ask for look ups in this section.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 23 July 16 08:52 BST (UK) »
Perhaps a literacy problem?  ???

I'm mystified by this comment  :-\
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk