Author Topic: Should the time to edit posts be reduced?  (Read 19679 times)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: Should the time to edit posts be reduced?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 July 16 19:36 BST (UK) »
I suppose we could  have picked any number to say it's possibly enough time. We also had to be aware that people may be posting in different time zones to other people.

So, yes so even though 24 hours is the same for everybody around the world our eight hours of sleep may be taken at completely different times, along with a times of a normal workday. 

So if a person posted something at 8pm in the evening, then slept, went to work, came home had their tea/dinner/BBQ then they could well still just have enough time to edit their post with the current 24 hours.

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 July 16 19:54 BST (UK) »
Trystan, thank you for your explanation of what is and isn't possible. As much as anything, I'm glad that you are aware that there is concern about some of the editing that's taking place, and that you are prepared to accept reports when things go wrong.

Whether the limit is changed or not, I wonder if it might be helpful for something about this issue to be made a sticky at the top of the How to Use RootsChat board, or included on the Guidelines for Posting page?

I was about to post this when I read your further comment:

I suppose we could  have picked any number to say it's possibly enough time. We also had to be aware that people may be posting in different time zones to other people.

So, yes so even though 24 hours is the same for everybody around the world our eight hours of sleep may be taken at completely different times, along with a times of a normal workday. 

So if a person posted something at 8pm in the evening, then slept, went to work, came home had their tea/dinner/BBQ then they could well still just have enough time to edit their post with the current 24 hours.

True - but the fact that we are a worldwide forum where people aren't all following the same hours suggests to me that a shorter limit is more appropriate. Never mind going to work and having a BBQ, if someone in the UK posts at 8pm, by the time they get up the next morning there could already be a whole load of posts from Canada and the USA, followed by New Zealand and Australia. And by evening, there could be a load more from people in the UK and Ireland who've visited during the day. Any edit to the original post after the first few minutes (OK, maybe hour or so) could potentially be nonsensical.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 22 July 16 20:01 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry that the 24 hour thing seems nonsensical to you for a worldwide site, but that was the very reason we chose it rather than a shorter time.  :)

Yes it can result in some ridiculous edits along the way, but like I said, it's just a compromise. That's all.

There is a bit in the Frequently Asked Questions on the Help pages that explains that posts can only be edited for 24 hours:

http://www.rootschat.com/help/faqs.php#no_modify
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 22 July 16 20:30 BST (UK) »
If its not broke don't fix it.

I would just like to add I hope you stick with the system we have at the moment as I think it works very well for most people.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 22 July 16 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hi - another return from the past  ;D

If members like Arthur are really concerned about serious editing making a nonsense of replies, could I suggest that they could always quote the original when they reply.

Also, maybe we could encourage members to add EDIT or ADDED if they do want to make significant changes to a post. *

I vote for the status quo  :)

* Added - if they are making more than spelling/grammar changes.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 22 July 16 21:20 BST (UK) »
If its not broke don't fix it.

I would just like to add I hope you stick with the system we have at the moment as I think it works very well for most people.
      I disagree with you, actually.

Some fast moving topics, some mysteries which people are striving to solve,   thirty replies may be posted in a 24 hour period.   So  it is quite  probable that  an edit will not be noticed.  In those circumstances it would be better  to post a new reply  saying that   you have done further research since your previous comment, and therefore you want to add further detail.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 22 July 16 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hi - another return from the past  ;D

If members like Arthur are really concerned about serious editing making a nonsense of replies, could I suggest that they could always quote the original when they reply.

Welcome back Gadget. ;D

I agree about quoting in a post, although its better to only include part of the relevant post rather than the whole original post and/or reply as it then gets even more confusing. :-\

I also vote for the status quo. ;)
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 22 July 16 21:50 BST (UK) »
Strange how things happen, the very thing being discussed here has happened within the last hour on a thread I am watching / commenting on  ::)

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline crowsfeet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 22 July 16 23:20 BST (UK) »
Another perspective:

For people who need time to process new information, the 24 hours is a gift.

Regards
Crowsfeet
cole, crow, taylor, ricketts, trustrum, pigott, kaye, bedford, blackwell, hill, archer, harris, williscroft, sanders, baggot, bayliss, isles, eaton, tooth, day, english, cherry, bashford, hubbard, leslie, cameron, whiteford keough, galvin, gray, gilchrist, davidson, currie, english, shuker, morgan, buchanan, parker, beard, pratt, orme, aylett, lawrence, penberthy, martin, bryant, nicholls.