Author Topic: The family of George KENNY, Uppingham 1920s  (Read 5753 times)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
The family of George KENNY, Uppingham 1920s
« on: Friday 22 July 16 18:30 BST (UK) »
I am trying to sort out the possible family of George Joseph KENNY born abt 1871 in Caldecott. He married Edith Eleanor Chambers at the Register Office, Uppingham on June 17th 1916.

I do know that Edith had a son, Herbert Ernest Chambers in 1911 who subsequently married Florence Ward in 1937.

The Births index gives 7 possible offspring of a Kenny / Chambers union as follows:

Millie CM Uppingham Dec 1916
George J Loughborough 1918
Robert H Loughborough  1919
Cyril E Uppingham 1923
Emily C M Uppingham 1926
Michael S Uppingham 1926
Edna J Uppingham 1930

Now it is of course possible that they all belong to George and Edith

George died in Harringworth in 1938.
If she was the oldest child, Millie married John Ashmore, Blaby 1939

Edith Kenny was living in Harringworth in the 1939 Register. With her she had:
Michael S
- and one other, currently redacted.

That still leaves four unaccounted for - I couldn't find a match in the death indexes to match any of them.

Any help or pointers would be gratefully received

Alan

Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: The family of George KENNY, Uppingham 1920s
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 July 16 20:15 BST (UK) »
Have you looked for marriages for Emily & Edna?  Any deaths would be in their married names

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 July 16 20:15 BST (UK) »
Do you know what Cyril's middle name was as there is a death for a Cyril Ernest Kenny birth date 8/8/1923 died February 2004 Lincolnshire age 80 ...Maybe a marriage Cyril E Kenny 1943 Stamford Lincolnshire
Michael Stuart Kenny birth date 11/8.1926 died April 1988 age 61 Derby possible marriage 1952 Derby
Rosie

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 July 16 20:51 BST (UK) »
George was George J T Kenny - George Joseph T. born 27/2/1918 d.Feb.1989 Leicestershire Central

Robert H. - actually Robert H.D. - wonder is names switched around as a Herbert R.D. Kenny married 1939 Kettering, Northants.

Cyril E was Cyril Ernest b.8/8/1923, died Feb.2004 Lincolnshire Central

Michael S was Michael Stuart born 11/8/1926, d.Apr.1988 Derby (married 1952 Derby).

Cannot find anything for 2nd and 3rd. girls.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 July 16 22:17 BST (UK) »
All food for thought - and further research. Might be another approach to the GRO.

What does surprise me is that in 1939 five of the children (if they are all hers) were 20 years of age or under. And yet there are only two (Michael S is one; the other is redacted). Where did the others go?

I don't know anything much about George Kenny's family. As I mentioned, Edith did have a son before she married who appeared to have spent his earlier years in the charge of his maternal grandparents. Still looking through those family options in the 1939 Directory to see if that's where the others went.

I'm presuming there aren't any easily avaiable baptismal records either for Uppingham or Loughborough in the 1916 to 1930 era that might at least confirm or deny they are all part of this family.

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 July 16 00:34 BST (UK) »
Have you noticed that there are two Edna J Kenny births registered in Uppingham with mmn Chambers - Dec q 1930 & Jun q 1931?   Very tight for it to be two different children, plus I cant find a death  :-\

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 July 16 01:15 BST (UK) »
Found marriage for Emily C M - surname transcribed by GRO as Kenney - to a Dunkley Dec.1947 Blaby, Leicestershire.    A daughter born June 1948 and a son Sept.1952 - both in Leicester and both correctly show mmn as Kenny.

Then they appear to vanish.   Not in electoral rolls, no deaths. 

Possibly emigrated after 1960 so not appearing in online outgoing passenger lists which only go up to 1960.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 July 16 08:07 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for all the replies.

Jomot, short of ordering both certificates I have sent an email to the GRO this morning asking them if they could clarify this issue. (I did once find a death which had been registered twice and two certificates issued about three weeks apart!)

I guess my first priority remains to confirm that all seven (?eight!) children belong to George and Edith.

There is a single very small (23 people) user added tree on An***y which contains all these people - four children marked private - but it is largely unsourced. Unfortunately it does not appear to be actively supported as it is over a year old. However I've sent a PM and am hoping for a response.

I'll report back if anything breaks

Alan

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 July 16 11:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette

"Robert H. - actually Robert H.D. - wonder is names switched around as a Herbert R.D. Kenny married 1939 Kettering, Northants."

If this is the correct marriage for 'our' Robert Kenny, his wife, Rhoda Fox, is interesting too. Edith Chapman's ancestry is littered with members of the Fox family in Northamptonshire. I can't trace a Rhoda of a suitable age in the birth idexes. Why a marriage registered in Kettering?

Alan