Author Topic: The family of George KENNY, Uppingham 1920s  (Read 5769 times)

Offline Nichfish46

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The family of George KENNY, Uppingham 1920s
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 23 June 19 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan/Sarah,
Hope this is a direct reply, rather that mediated.
Correction to my earlier text, Emily C M, would be Cynthia (reversed names) as her and Michael were both born in 1926 (twins).
My mum (Aileen) knew her Auntie Millie & her Auntie Edna.
Edna's real name was Josephine and she emigrated to Australia in the 1960's on a £10 deal with her family, her husband was Roland Ward, mum (Aileen) thinks they had 5 x children with 3 x of their names being: 1)Nicholas, 2)Linda, 3)Peter, the forth maybe Roland (after his father).
Cynthia (Emily) and her husband Derek Dunkley also had a third son, Robert, Born 1960's.
Regards
Nick

Online sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 24 June 19 10:27 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat Nick,

Alan was online yesterday hopefully he will reply to your message soon.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 24 June 19 14:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick

Welcome to Rootchat. Sorry for the delay - been away for the weekend.

My main interest in this thread comes from the family of George Kenny's wife, Edith Eleanor Chambers. I have traced both lines of her grandparents back into the early 18th century.

Let me know if this is of interest to you.

Cheers Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline Nichfish46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 01 July 19 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,
apologies for the delay in getting back to you.
Yes I expect that mum would be interested to be understand her grandmothers ancestry, as would I.
Rgds
Nick

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 01:19 BST (UK) »
Newfloridian - are you still interested in finding out who George Joseph Kenny was, said to be son of Joseph George Kenny, both coachmen??

I saw a tree on Ancestry which had his birthdate as 15th June 1870 and remembered being frustrated when I participated in this thread back in 2016.

Having looked at this again (following the recent posts made) and subsequently forming a conclusion,  I decided to get a PDF copy of a birth certificate to prove it (or not).   Happily, it did!

He was born as George Joseph Piper on 15th June 1870 at 3 Danvers Buildings, Duke Street, Chelsea, illegitimate son of Mary Piper.  He was actually baptised as such on 18/9/1870 Chelsea , birthdate shown 15th June 1870 BUT shown as son of George Robert Piper, Bricklayer, and wife Mary Ann.   George Robert Piper was actually Mary Ann's brother!!!  One can only assume that Mary wanted him baptised but not as illegitimate so gave his fathers details as that of her own brother (or even father).  Both her father and brother were named George Robert Piper, senior a bricklayers labourer, and junior a bricklayer!

In 1871 - same address as where George Joseph born - are 2 separate households.   First is Mary's parents and unmarried brother, second is Mary Ann Kenny, 22, Mar.  born Chelsea and her son now George Joseph Kenny 9 months.   Her husband Joseph Kenny is living alone at New House, Longworth, Berkshire, aged 24, Marr.  Groom, born Chelsea, Middlesex.

Married 25/12/1870, St. Philip, Kensington Mary Ann Piper, dau. of George Piper, Labourer married Joseph Thomas Kenny, Groom, son of Joseph Thomas Kenny, Bricklayer.

1881 I can't seem to find the family but 4 more children had been born:

George Robert Kenny - birth Mar.1873 Kensington - mmn Piper, died June 1876 Easthampstead, Berkshire (clearly named after Mary's father and brother but a little odd in that first born son was a George Joseph??)
Mary Amelia Kenny - birth Mar.1874 St George Hanover Square - mmn Piper
Frederick Thomas Kenny - birth Dec.1875 Easthampstead, Berks - mmn Piper, died same quarter at St. George Hanover Square
Albert Henry Kenny - birth Mar.1877 Chelsea - mmn Piper

From the above births/deaths looks like the family were in Berkshire 1875-1876.

1891 Joseph, Mary and daughter Mary A. are living in Kensington
1901 Joseph is a visitor to a family named Edwards at St. George Hanover Square.   Wife Mary A. is living in Battersea and shown as 'Living on own means'.
1911 - the couple are together in Battersea.

Looks like Joseph died as plain Joseph in June quarter 1933 Windsor, Berks.   (A Mary A Kenny death in Mar.1915 Wandsworth may possibly be his wife).

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 09:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette

Many thanks for your exhaustive research and explanation. It is indeed fascinating but I have to say by now means unusual for the era. I'll amend my own database record for George but won't take it any further. My own particular interest was in his wife Edith Eleanor Chambers whose own mother came from the Liquorish (multiple surname spelling variations there) family for which I have done much research. Given George's history as you show it I doubt he would link back into my own family tree in any way.

Cheers Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline WardKenny

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 04 July 21 10:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am the youngest child of Josephine Edna Ward (née Kenny) who is the youngest child/ daughter of George Joseph Kenny and Edith Eleanor Kenny (née Chambers).