Author Topic: Bradshaw & Jones tracing  (Read 2698 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Bradshaw & Jones tracing
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 July 16 12:06 BST (UK) »
1852 marriage gives that Mary Bradshaws father as Thomas so you can rule that one out

from familysearch
John Jones
Mary Bradshaw
01 Jan 1852
St. Peter, Liverpool
Grooms Father's Name John Jones
Brides Father's Name   Thomas Bradshaw
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 24 July 16 12:13 BST (UK) »
The John Jones who married Mary Bradshaw in Manchester 1837 was a widower - occupation 'Maker up' - Mary was a spinster

Offline Patricia Short

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 24 July 16 13:14 BST (UK) »
Argh! Thanks Rosie99, that rules out them one's. I'm still trawling through thee passengers list, to find Mary and John Jones.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 July 16 13:17 BST (UK) »
Could you please give us some idea as to when you first have them in the USA.  Do you have them on census there that you could give us the information from.  It sometimes helps us to work out who we are looking for.  ;D

Rosie

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 24 July 16 13:18 BST (UK) »
Presumably there were descendants of this couple but tree shows just 2 daughters - one died aged 4 and the other aged 25 with no other details.

I can't find a family that matches these details on Pennsylvania census.

Annette 
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Patricia Short

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 24 July 16 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie, I did find the travel documents for when he arrived in USA but seemed to of lost where it was. I should of saved it yesterday :( I believe that Susanna did have a child, but the child was brought up with her grandparents..John and Mary. Annette there were a few census records I saw yesterday. So tired yesterday after a long searching, I didn't save anything :/

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 24 July 16 13:53 BST (UK) »
I have John L Jones 1810, Oswestry, Shropshire passing away in Pennsylvania 1894. Parents of his is unknown as we can't find a definite dob. I am unsure if he has a middle name initial of L as on the gravestone I noticed it had their names as J. & M. L Jones :/ Mary is born in Walesby, Lincs around 1814, her parents are John Bradshaw and Rebecca Turner. I found her baptism for 10 Sept 1815. But I have never been able to find her dob under either of her parents surnames for the area she was born in.

Re "J. & M. L Jones" - if it was in England, I would take the "L" as being one of Mary's initials, rather than John's. But in the USA? - I don't know.

I'm wondering what evidence you have that your Mary Bradshaw is the one baptised in Walesby in 1815, other than that the name matches. Walesby and Oswestry aren't exactly close, and Bradshaw isn't such an uncommon name. Before deciding on who her parents were I'd want to make sure I had the right marriage between her and John, as that could give significant clues to who her parents were and/or where she came from.

You mention the alternative surnames found in the immigration records (Bradshaw and Turner): I wonder whether rather than being her father's and mother's names, these might indicate that she had been marrried before, and are her own maiden name and that of her first husband. On the other hand, lots of people are known by more than one surname, possibly indicating something like illegitmacy or having taken a stepfather's surname - there are plenty of discussions on here about it. So unless there's a clear explanation for the alternative names, it's risky to draw conclusions from them.

I haven't spotted them, but I hope you have firm reasons for deciding John Jones was from Oswestry - there must be dozens of John Joneses to choose from, if not hundreds!

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 24 July 16 14:00 BST (UK) »
Will of John L Jones of Sharon County, Mercer, Penn. Proved 1894
Is it your man?
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-8991-NYX5?i=313&wc=9PMJ-N38%3A268494201%2C271193301%3Fcc%3D1999196&cc=1999196

Can't get the "shrink link" to work today!

Offline Patricia Short

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 24 July 16 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hey all, I found the census in thee 1860;
Name:   John L Jones
Birth Year:   abt 1815
Birth Place:   Wales
Home in 1860:   Sharon, Mercer, Pennsylvania
Post Office:   Sharon
Family Number:   1385
Value of real estate:   .
Household Members:   
Name          Age
John L Jones   45
Mary Jones    45
Susannah Jones   9

John L birth is saying Wales, so am guessing that my mum cousin got the tree hint off someone else's wrong with the birth place??? There a bit of debate on birth year too, it's either 1812 or 1815. Census are giving out different different birth year.

Arthur with Mary Bradshaw, that is thee only evidence found for her on baptism. Not birth at the moment. If her mother married before, this could be a possible reason why she had Turner on a few records and then it was Bradshaw. Not dug at her parents yet.