Author Topic: Jeremiah Andrews b. 1820 North Curry  (Read 2207 times)

Offline MiniHistory

• RootsChat Member
  • Seize the day - after breakfast
    • View Profile
Jeremiah Andrews b. 1820 North Curry
« on: Monday 25 July 16 03:45 BST (UK) »
I am descended from Jeremiah Andrews, a blacksmith, who was christened in North Curry on 31st December 1820 (his parents were Robert and Jane), and Elizabeth (surname unknown) who was born around 1816/7 in North Curry, if census returns are to be trusted.

There is no marriage certificate that I can find (which doesn't surprise me since none of their children were registered last time I looked) but there is a curious marriage between a Jeremiah Andrews and Martha Dauncey in Wincanton on 4th December 1838. That's quite a way from North Curry, I know. Also, he is described as being "full age" which wouldn't have been correct for my chap.

In the 1841 census, my young Jeremiah is living with his recently widowed mum and a couple of younger siblings back home in Nth Curry, and I can find no record of a Martha Andrews anywhere. By the 1851 census, Jeremiah has moved to Taunton and acquired a missus (my Elizabeth) and a bunch of kids, and also a son, John, aged 11 and born in Hatch. By 1861 John has headed off.

Was John the son of Martha Dauncey, I wonder. Did she die and their child came to live with his father? Or did they just separate, which might explain the lack of a marriage to Elizabeth.

I've searched without success for evidence of John's birth, Martha's death, Martha's remarriage, any other children, another Jeremiah Andrews, etc. etc. Essentially, any explanation which has occurred to me. Nothing seems to fit.

Any help or suggestions gratefully received.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Jeremiah Andrews b. 1820 North Curry
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 July 16 05:56 BST (UK) »
Interesting that the Jeremiah/ Martha marriage has his father as Robert too. Does the Hannah Andrews (witness) also have any relevance to your Andrews family? Occupations of Jeremiah and Robert are both noted as Yeomen - does this also fit with other info you have?

Sorry,  Robert was a blacksmith according to the Jeremiah baptism - I think this is probably more evidence this is not your Jeremiah.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 July 16 06:19 BST (UK) »
Children of Jeremiah and Elizabeth (according to the 1851 census):

These registrations would seem to fit:
Charles June 1850 Taunton 10/477
Ann Dinham June 1846 Taunton 10/490
James Dinham Sep 1844 Taunton 10/431

Can't see John

Dinham sounds like it could be mother's maiden name?

Added, if you ordered one of the certificates it should have mother's maiden name.

Offline MiniHistory

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 00:27 BST (UK) »
I think you are absolutely right, Maddy. And armed with your information I found my greatgrandmother's birth registration, also with the Dinham name added (although oddly enough the last few children didn't have that).

As for the mysterious John, I'll keep searching for him, but some family secrets never get explained by the official records.

Thank you very much for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 03:19 BST (UK) »
That's great Minihistory. Having a look around, I did notice a couple of other families in the area naming their children with middle names of the area they were in (eg Street) and there is a Corton Denham in Somerset, so maybe there's some association there if it's not the maiden name.  ???

I also noticed a marriage for Jeremiah Andrews and Elizabeth Southwood in North Petherton on 20 Feb 1853 (on familysearch). Maybe someone has access to the parish records to see if there's any more detail there? If this is yours, they could have married later (I have a family like this where they had all their children first, then were married some years later in a neighbouring parish.) Still doesn't explain John though.

Offline MiniHistory

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 03:50 BST (UK) »
I also have a family where the parents slipped away to get married after the 6th child was christened, but in their case they left the family farm to the children who were born AFTER the marriage. That seems a bit rough.

But back to the Andrews question. Inspired by your discovery of the Andrews/Southwood marriage I turned up on the 1841 census an Elizabeth Southwood of the right age living alone with a John Southwood, also the right age to be John Andrews. More proof is needed, of course, but this might be the answer.

Thank you once again!

- Mini

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 03:54 BST (UK) »
Well done - at Hatch no less! Sounding more possible.  ;D

Offline MiniHistory

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 04:20 BST (UK) »
Bingo! In the September 1838 marriage reg is a marriage for Thomas Southwood (given as father of John in 1839) and Elizabeth Dinham! And there's a couple of deaths of Thomas which I'll now need to explore.

Thank you again!!!!

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 08:11 BST (UK) »
So pleased it's working out!

There is a baptism on FreeReg for John Bicknell Southwood at St John the Baptist, Hatch Beauchamp to father Thomas, shoemaker ( mother's name not recorded) on 1 Sept 1839.