Author Topic: James Ryan Merchant Navy George Medal Winner 1941  (Read 2379 times)

Offline ChrisHull1979

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Ryan Merchant Navy George Medal Winner 1941
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hi MMM45 - I realise this is a late reply to the thread, but James Ryan was my great Grandfather.  I have a wealth of information on him covering service in both wars, newspaper and book cuttings for the GM incident, details on his involvement in Op PLUTO etc - far too much to post on here.  Do you have a specific area of interest I can help with?

Chris

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 17:49 BST (UK) »
I am sure you will already have his service record information from WW2. As he was a T124T merchant seaman, he retained MN pay and conditions but was effectively under RN control. His service record is held at Kew in piece BT 390/215/45 - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C9117799

For service prior to WW2, he has some records: 1 x CR10 card with photo, 2 x CR1 cards (MN records - Fourth Register of Seamen).

His CR1 shows he was later the master of H.M.R.T. SEAMAN in 1946.

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 20:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hugh we did find quite a bit online.
Chris I was asking on behalf of one of your extended family who used to come over to Hull she was under the mistaken belief she had seen the GM in Eden Camp but this is now known to be wrong as its with family in Hull.
When you have enough posts I'll PM you with her details.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline ChrisHull1979

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 13 June 18 15:51 BST (UK) »
I am sure you will already have his service record information from WW2. As he was a T124T merchant seaman, he retained MN pay and conditions but was effectively under RN control. His service record is held at Kew in piece BT 390/215/45 - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C9117799

For service prior to WW2, he has some records: 1 x CR10 card with photo, 2 x CR1 cards (MN records - Fourth Register of Seamen).

His CR1 shows he was later the master of H.M.R.T. SEAMAN in 1946.

Regards
Hugh

Thanks Hugh - i'll have to have a look next time I'm in London.  I think I have most of it, but will never know unless I check haha. I believe as well as going on to be the Master of SEAMEN, he was also Master in H.M.R.T DANUBE V towing the cable spool during Op PLUTO, H.M.R.T NIMBLE and H.M.R.T STORM KING towing Mulberry Harbour during D-Day Ops.

Thanks,

Chris

Offline Eddie P

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 February 19 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have just come across this post regarding James Ryan (Merchant Navy) regarding his service and subsequent award of the George Medal. There was an earlier mention of James in 1921 when he dived overboard from a United Towing tug to take part in the rescue of survivors from the Airship R.38 that crashed into the River Humber. He was credited with saving the commander of the airship Flight Lt. A Wann, who later visited James at his home to thank him personally. This information came from my late father who witnessed the airship crash into the Humber and later his brother Joseph Piercy married the sister of James Ryan wife Ada.
After the 2nd World War James took part in the radio program called "Shipmates Ashore" presented from Liverpool by Doris Hare, known as the "Merchant Navy Sweetheart". Doris later found fame as Mum in the TV comedy show "On the Buses"
James Ryan certainly had a eventful life.
Best regards Eddie P

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 10 February 19 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks that's really interesting and will pass it on to his relative.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.