Author Topic: Tracing information on Charles Jones born in Kidderminster UK in 1825  (Read 6767 times)

Offline janjones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am trying to trace the birth details of my great great grandfather Charles Jones who was born in 1825 and married Susannah Osborne 26 April 1857 in Worcestershire. They moved to Australia and I believe Charles was a remittance man.

I do not know Charles Jones parents names and as they are my great great great grandparents I wish to find out who they were so I can give this information to my baby granddaughter.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing information on Charles Jones born in Kidderminster UK in 1825
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 July 16 06:32 BST (UK) »
Hello and Welcome to RootsChat :)

Do you have a copy of the marriage cert which hopefully should list his father's name and occupation  and also Charles's occupation with any witnesses

Kay

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 July 16 06:49 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

I'm Australian and I have no idea what a remittance man is.  ;D

Please give the details of when and where in Australia as it helps to work backwards.

Also children's names.

What Australian certificates do you have?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 July 16 08:09 BST (UK) »
From Wikipedia:

A remittance man is a historic term for an emigrant, often from Britain to a colony, supported by regular payments from home, on the expectation that he stay away.

Within Victorian British culture, a remittance man was usually the black sheep of an upper or middle-class family who was sent away (from the United Kingdom to the Empire), and paid to stay away. These men were generally of dissolute or drunken character, and may have been sent overseas after one or more disgraces at home.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 July 16 08:13 BST (UK) »
From Wikipedia:

A remittance man is a historic term for an emigrant, often from Britain to a colony, supported by regular payments from home, on the expectation that he stay away.

Within Victorian British culture, a remittance man was usually the black sheep of an upper or middle-class family who was sent away (from the United Kingdom to the Empire), and paid to stay away. These men were generally of dissolute or drunken character, and may have been sent overseas after one or more disgraces at home.

Most interesting  ;D

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 July 16 08:34 BST (UK) »
Charles Jones who was born in 1825 and married Susannah Osborne 26 April 1857 in Worcestershire.

They married at Norton Juxta Kempsey, which is just to the south of Worcester https://www.google.com/maps/@52.1560195,-2.2055239,13z

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 July 16 08:39 BST (UK) »
Charles Jones who was born in 1825 and married Susannah Osborne 26 April 1857 in Worcestershire.

They married at Norton Juxta Kempsey, which is just to the south of Worcester https://www.google.com/maps/@52.1560195,-2.2055239,13z

If you haven't got the marriage cert and are certain it is the right couple I can check details in Worcester next week

Kay

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 July 16 08:52 BST (UK) »
How certain are you of Charles' birth year - on the various family trees on ancestry, his birth year varies each way by about 10 years !!

If you don't already have his marriage cert, getting that to see his profession and the name of his father would be invaluable.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 July 16 09:19 BST (UK) »
I'm looking at a tree that covers it all. Susannah's death cert says Charles was a shoemaker.

Jamjar