Author Topic: What to do with old maps?  (Read 3265 times)

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
What to do with old maps?
« on: Friday 29 July 16 10:20 BST (UK) »
I've been sorting out cupboards and came across a bag of old Ordnance Survey maps which belonged to my husband's Grandfather.

Some are very old, with cloth backing and are mainly geological survey editions (apt, since Grandad went on to work in the Kolar Goldfields in India, assessing rock structure for mining) - they date from 1907-1914. (see pic)

The others are dated between 1946-1960s and are general OS maps of the era.

All the maps are of the south coast and counties, with the exception of one for Skipton (cloth backed and dated 1913)

My question is - what on earth to do with them?

One bears some handwritten annotation - possibly from when the man in question was studying for his degree, so I think that ought to be preserved with the rest of his certificates and papers. Other than his own signature of ownership there is nothing remarkable about the others.

I'm loath to chuck them out so I'll probably end up putting them in a box and back into a cupboard - how should I best preserve them in that case?

Any help/advice/suggestions gratefully received!

Stoney
Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with old maps?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 July 16 10:37 BST (UK) »
Have you thought of your Local History Unit?
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Greenvale

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 July 16 10:39 BST (UK) »
There are always collectors looking to obtain/buy old maps. If you have a local auction house they will advise you as to value and sell them for you. You could also try selling them online in one of the popular sites (I don't know if the forum rules allow the promotion of commercial sites but you probably know what I mean)
James
Madden, Cunningham, Webb, Upton, Kinsey, Askew

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 July 16 10:40 BST (UK) »
Most secondhand book shops have boxes and boxes of old maps, usually priced at 50p, does that help your decision.  ;D ;D
Mike

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 July 16 12:00 BST (UK) »
Have you thought of your Local History Unit?
Carol
We are not in the same locale as these maps and I would think the South Coast area units would have plenty of these items already - they were generally available.
 I will bear it in mind though - some collections might have gaps or poorer copies so it would be worth an enquiry if no-one else in the family wants to keep them.

Thank you, Treetotal!

Stoney
Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 July 16 12:02 BST (UK) »
Most secondhand book shops have boxes and boxes of old maps, usually priced at 50p, does that help your decision.  ;D ;D
Mike

Hmmmm - probably not going to be one of those 'Antiques Roadshow' moments where a chance find becomes a windfall!
 ;D ;D ;D

Stoney

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 July 16 12:03 BST (UK) »
A family history society local to the maps might be interested;  I know that Dorset FHS holds maps, mainly local but other areas as well.

If really stuck.....let me know as one of my sons collects maps.  ;)

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 November 16 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Geology maps go for a lot more than normal OS maps. If you do sell on Ebay it would be best to split into two lots - normal and geology. Post a photograph of the covers and give an honest description about the condition.

Most buyers prefer to use PayPal. so you will need an account. But you can also donate the cash from sales to charity. Weigh the bundles and check on the Royal Mail site the cost of 1st Class postage. Also, pay for 'signed for' to stop buyers claiming they have not received.

Ken

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 November 16 18:28 GMT (UK) »
 'Also, pay for 'signed for' to stop buyers claiming they have not received'.

Good advice, once bitten twice shy!
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.