Author Topic: Sandwell Archives  (Read 989 times)

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
Sandwell Archives
« on: Friday 29 July 16 10:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Next week I will be driving past West Bromwich and thought I'd do a bit of digging ... I've never been to Sandwell Archives before but noted on their website that you should book a place before you go ... so I emailed a few days ago to say I'd like to visit but am a bit concerned I might turn up and find it shut or something.  Can anyone reassure me that calling in 'off the street' is OK - just in case they haven't seen my email?

I've also emailed Sandwell Valley Crematorium in the hope that they might be able to tell me where exactly my Great Grandparents are buried - I know they are at Heath Lane and I have the dates and register numbers - just hoping they might have little maps like you're given down in Brighton!  ::)

Thanks,

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sandwell Archives
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 July 16 10:42 BST (UK) »
Sandwell Archives are located within Smethwick Library - opening hours 10.00 - 4.00 on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. 

Why don't you telephone them - 0121 558 2561 - to make absolutely sure.  You will also need a CARN ticket - no worries if you don't already have one, but ensure you have proof of your name, address and signature, they say a driving licence is ideal.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 July 16 10:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks BumbleB - I do have a CARN.  Phoning is a good idea - I don't want them to think I am being pushy though, but I did email at the beginning of the week!

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 July 16 10:48 BST (UK) »
I'm sure they won't think you are being pushy, and as you are travelling quite a distance, you need to be sure.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 July 16 13:27 BST (UK) »
It is okay to just pop in as I have done so on several occasions. They have a few microfische readers but  I think its 2 film readers. I've always managed to get a fische reader and I have used a film reader  only about 3 times but managed to get one. You can check whether they have any heath lane cem registers but if they have I don't know how recent.

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 July 16 15:44 BST (UK) »
 :) thank you both, if I haven't heard at the beginning of the week I'll try phoning but it's encouraging to hear I can just drop in.

Liz
Research interests:

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 July 16 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi
They do have Heath Lane cemetery registers  and they go up to at least the 1940's.You could have a quick peak at them on deceased on line (the index will give year and date of burial but you have to pay for more).
If you visit the cemetery A and B graves start either side of at the Heath lane entrance.There is a workman's building usually with 2 or 3 men in it ,down the main drive through the cemetery on the right a few hundred yards down.They are always very helpful.Phone in advance and they will find the grave and take you straight there,but they try to help if you just drop in.
It has a paupers grave and workhouse  monument near the Walsall Road entrance .There are useful taps and benches but I don't believe there are toilets.(Nearest pub in Hollyhedge Road).
Hope you have a good visit and find all you need.

Ciderdrinker

Ciderdrinker

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 July 16 11:28 BST (UK) »
 :) Thank you very much - that's very helpful.  I have no idea what sort of grave they are buried in - their children were certainly doing very well for themselves by that time and would have been able to afford a proper burial (with stone!) for the parents - no guarantee they did though  ::)

Liz
Research interests:

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 August 16 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've heard from Sandwell regarding my request for information about where my G Great Grandparents are buried - they were very helpful and have told me exactly where to go and the plot etc.  The thing that puzzles me though is that they are both buried in the same public grave despite having dies 18 months apart.  I could understand this if it was a private grave but seems a bit strange?  It's also thrown up some interesting ideas about the family at the time - there was seemingly no shortage of money amongst their children and yet they didn't pay for a burial.   :'(

Liz
Research interests: