Author Topic: Robert Renwick and son William Renwick  (Read 2417 times)

Offline pelirroja

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Renwick and son William Renwick
« on: Friday 29 July 16 19:26 BST (UK) »
Robert Renwick, brother of my grandfather, died in Kilmarnock on June 4, 1974 and was buried on June 6, 1974 in Dunscore Cemetery, Dumfries.  His wife was Helen Waters and she died before her husband.  They had one child that I know of, William Renwick (1929-2010???), who also resided and died in Kilmarnock.
My Renwick ancestors mostly lived in the Cavers, Roxburgh area of Scotland and so did Robert for a number of years.  Then after the Census of 1901, he no longer appeared.  Only just found him by ordering the register of his death from SP.
Does anyone know this family or have photos of them?  Any ideas where I might learn more about these ancestors?  Thank you for all help or suggestions.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Renwick and son William Renwick
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 July 16 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hi pelirroja,

A few suggestions   :)   
Have you looked to find Robert on 1911 Census?
Also viewing his marriage to Helen on Scotlands People would give you an address of where both were living at that time and also their occupations.
What was Robert's occupation on his death certificate ?  And his age and address at death ? Posting this information might be useful to any Ayrshire Rootschatters to help establish if they may have known the family.
You have posted a date of  death 2010 ?? for the couple's son. I would think you would need to confirm this as this person could potentially still be alive  :-\ .  If he is deceased his death certificate would hopefully give you his address/occupation/marital status and you would also find out who registered his death.

I hope these suggestions are helpful pelirroja and apologies if I'm posting ideas you have already considered.

Lastly, there is a slim chance (and I stress slim) that I may have met (a long time ago) Robert & Helen's son  :)

Looby :)

Offline pelirroja

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 July 16 16:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply, and I know some of the answers to your questions.  According to his death certificate, Robert was a retired gamekeeper and died at the age of 78 yrs.  (A number of my ancestors were mole-catchers or gamekeepers).  His residence was 10 Sidoln Place Kilmarnock.  I did look for a census of 1911 for Robert on Ancestry but not recently.

Robert and Helen were married on June 10, 1927 at Bedrule Manse.  Robert lived in Denholm at the time, where the Renwicks had resided for years.  He was an estate worker.  Helen resided in Bedrule and was a domestic servant.  Her parents were William Waters, also an estate worker, and her mother was Catherine Carruthers.

As to the son, William Renwick, he was born in 1929 in Cavers, Roxburgh but his possible death date is the result of a search on SP and is the only William Renwick having died from Kilmarnock.  His death certificate isn't available but I could order a copy for a fee.  Just trying to avoid that expense.

I appreciate all your ideas and your response.  Thanks again, Beverly

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 July 16 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Beverly,

Thanks for the update of info.
I wonder where Robert would be employed as a gamekeeper in the Kilmarnock area??
The address of Sidoln Place is not familiar to me - I don't live in Kilmarnock  but know it pretty well and I've never heard of that address. Could be a poor transcription if you found the record on Ancestry :/ ?

I appreciate and understand that you are trying to save the expense of buying a certificate :) Was just a suggestion to establish the son's details  to help you find out more about him.

Hopefully, the details you have posted will ring a bell with someone out there. Best wishes with your research ,
Looby :)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 July 16 17:48 BST (UK) »
Just to add -
That 2010 William Renwick death has the mother's maiden name as WATTERS.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 July 16 17:53 BST (UK) »
I suppose he could have been a game keeper at Caprington, Dean Castle or Rowallan although I don't know enough detail to know when and how many staff would have been employed.

I think your best bet would be contacting the local history people and the Burns Monument Centre they could help you locate addresses etc. They were very helpful to me when I was trying to find a street that had changed it's name.  There is a Sidlaw place btw which is on the edge of Kilmarnock out towards Criagie Estate (another possibility).

Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline pelirroja

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 July 16 20:23 BST (UK) »
I'm attaching the written address where Robert Renwick lived from the death certificate so perhaps someone else can decipher the name of the street.

I rechecked the censuses again for Robert but couldn't find anything.  Very curious.

Also, I decided to order the death certificate for William Renwck from SP, especially since Ev mentioned that the maiden name on the 2010 death certificate was Watters.  Probable a mistake for Waters.

PharmaT, I will try to contact "the local history people and the Burns Monument Centre" but are the afore mentioned groups the same or two different ones?  Any ideas for their email addresses?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 July 16 20:51 BST (UK) »
The address looks to be Sidlaw Place. Still there today  :) www.streetcheck.co.uk/postcode/ka13un

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 31 July 16 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hi again pelirroja,

I would say that was Sidlaw Place.

Burns Monument Centre -  http://eastayrshireleisure.com/index.php?a=landing&id=8&sid=234&mid=266

There is also a Kilmarnock History Group -  http://www.kilmarnockhistory.co.uk/default.php  - they may be able to help  :-\

Looks as if the William Renwick death in 2010 is Robert and Helen's son. At least obtaining that certificate will give you some information on him and will tell you who the informant was (potential living relative ) .

Looby  :)