Author Topic: Esther and Philip Quirk, possibly from Douglas  (Read 2091 times)

Offline 1karen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Esther and Philip Quirk, possibly from Douglas
« on: Friday 29 July 16 20:38 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out any information about my 3x great-grandmother, Esther QUIRK and her father, Philip. The information I have is as follows:

Esther married John Blackburn on 7th October 1832 at St. Martin-in-the-Fields Church, Liverpool. On the death of her husband, she married William Blackburn  on 29th April 1839 at St. Bride's Church, Liverpool. Her father is given on the marriage record as Philip QUIRK, a mariner.

On the 1851 Census, she is incorrectly recorded as being from Liverpool but in 1861, the census records her as being from Douglas, Isle of Man. 1871 Census records her as simply being from the Isle of Man. She died in 1880 in Liverpool. Census records would put her birth at about 1805.

I have, so far, been unable to find a baptism of an Esther Quirk with a father Philip. Can anyone see something that I might have missed?

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Esther and Philip Quirk, possibly from Douglas
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 July 16 11:27 BST (UK) »
Hello
No Esther but there is only one Phillip Quirk having a child at Douglas 1800-1810.
Thomas Quirk so Phillip quirk and Margaret Taggart 7.9.1800 at St Georges

In 1841 at Grafton st Stephens crt Toxteth
Phillip Quick 65 n
Jane 46 n

1851 Frances St Liverpool
Phillip 76 shoemaker Kilpatrick I of man
Jane  35? London
John 23 son  mariner London

Could perhaps be worth a look

There is also this
Phillip Quirk born 1788 Isle of Man
British merchant seaman
He's working on the Richard Watson and Appleton 1836-39

1845 ticket 243665 Phillip Quick from Peel.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 July 16 20:09 BST (UK) »
try Esther d/o Philip Quirk + Elizabeth Arthur bapt St Marks 18030905 - look up St Mark on my website - tho in Malew near junction of 3 parishes Malew, Marown + Santon
Philip was noted as of marown + married (1801) with with consent of parents (ie under 21) - Elizth was 1st child other 2 bapt in Kk Patrick

not sure re Elizth Arthur as two possibilities one bapt Malew + other in Patrick both father's Wm Kinley - the Malew was to Isabel Kinley (a Castletown based family + some notes on my website) - other in Patrick gave no mo's name
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 17:33 BST (UK) »
the Wm Kinley should (obviously?) have been Wm Arthur - misread my notes - one mother was Isable Kinley - it is possible (?probable) that both entries refer to same child
any thing with a Manx Connection