Author Topic: Bromlow callow  (Read 5256 times)

Offline willyam

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bromlow callow
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 April 21 22:51 BST (UK) »
Viktoria,

Following James Pryce's death in March 1929 at Red House Farm, his personal effects were probated at £555 - which suggests to me that he might have been a tenant farmer, rather than a freeholder.

Interestingly, there is in the Shropshire Archives catalogue a mention of a planning application that was made in 1972 in respect of Red House Farm. The name of the applicant is Viscount Bridgeman.

William Clive Bridgeman (1864-1935) was the first Viscount Bridgeman of Leigh in the County of Shropshire, created in 1929. He died in Leigh Manor and is buried in Hope churchyard.

He and his wife Caroline had 1 daughter & 3 sons - none of whom died during the First World War.

Incidentally, online records indicate that Richard James Pryce was born at Hope.

Might the Bridgeman name provide the aristocratic connection?

Willyam

Offline willyam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 April 21 07:15 BST (UK) »
Viktoria,

I do believe that you were right on the money when you mentioned Weston.

I say this because Bridgeman is the family name of the Earls of Bradford for whom their ancestral home is Weston Park, at Weston-under-Lizard.

Additionally, from the 'GunsOnPegs' shoot review of Leigh Manor (which highlights the Callow Ring) is this: "David's family have owned the estate since 1763. Clive of India acquired it for his younger brother William, it then passed down the female line to the Bridgemans and then from the 2nd Viscount Bridgeman to his grandson David Stacey".

Willyam

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 April 21 10:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much, there is a lot to go on there .
I live in Lancashire ,but my paternal grandmother was from Snailbeach ,coming to Lancashire between the 1891 census and 1896 when she married my grandfather .
I was evacuated first to her nephew David Oldfield then lived with her sister
David’s mother.Annie.
The family name was Blakemore ,one had the mill at Hogstow, Annie married Tom Oldfield son of Captain Oldfield the Snailbeach Lead Mine Captain.
I spent the war years in Snailbeach but was three when I first went and returned to Manchester after the war but went back at every opportunity.
Still in contact with people ,one house looked ,from a high vantage point directly over to Bromlow Callow ,and that is where I was told the story of it being left as a memorial to a WW1 soldier,son of the landowner during WW1
It is usually described as a landmark for drovers ,but must have been planted with fast growing conifers ,for the war ,but they don’t grow so quickly .
A mystery but with your kind help perhaps something may be discovered .
I used to visit frequently and my husband and I had many holidays and would research family history but not about the Callow, that was since a vusut ti the little museum in Bishops Castle.
Since my husband died I have only been twice ,once to a funeral and a visit my grandmother daughter did for me.
I Don’t drive so getting about and especially to Snailbeach is not easy ,there is a bus but in the school holidays a limited service and I now am 84 almost so not able to dash about  ;D
But many many thanks ,I might contact the Library and see what direction they point me in .
Cheerio,I am very grateful to you .
My main interest is if the ring of trees is a memorial to a WW1 soldier it needs
recognising and properly recording ,if it already isn’t.
When we visited ,there was no plaque or anything ,but I suppose the young soldier would have a family memorial.,somewhere ,especially if from a titled fsmily.
Cheerio, and many thanks again.
Viktoria.

Offline Fionn G.

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 February 23 08:01 GMT (UK) »
My great great grandmother lived at Hemford and my great great grandfather worked as the forester for the Bridgeman Estate, when he planted Bromlow Callow.
I’ll do some digging with my family and see if I can find more about him and the reason for planting the Callow.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 February 23 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks ,that is very kind.
I would be about 5 or 6 when I was first told the story ,so it is possible I misunderstood
some facts.
Cheerio for now and thanks again, I am not getting notifications so some posts on this topic I have only seen today.
Viktoria.