Author Topic: William Williams death in Aberllefari Slate Quarry abt. 1895  (Read 8552 times)

Offline ianocon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Williams death in Aberllefari Slate Quarry abt. 1895
« on: Saturday 30 July 16 19:54 BST (UK) »
Searching for birth & death details of William Williams (WW) killed abt. 1895 age abt. 22.
Family story is that Elizabeth Lloyd was pregnant when WW died (family not certain they were married) and named their son William Lloyd Williams (WLW) who died aged 67 in 1862 (hence est. birth year 1895). She lived for a while at Braichgoch farm near Corris
Elizabeth subsequently married Thomas Hughes when WLW was 6 or 7.
There are many William Williams in Merionethshire and help would be appreciated to identify the right one and hence to find his family of origin. In particular is there a source for quarry deaths that might provide more personal details of WW?
Ian
O'Connell, Frost, Marshall, Jones

Offline ianocon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: William Williams death in Aberllefari Slate Quarry abt. 1895
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 July 16 19:56 BST (UK) »
Sorry, should be spelled Aberllefari Quarry.
Ian

Offline ianocon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 July 16 08:10 BST (UK) »
Have unpicked part of the puzzle.
Elizabeth Lloyd appears as Mary Elizabeth not Elizabeth. She marries Thomas Hughes in 1896 AMJ 11b 673 Dolgelly with name Mary Elizabeth Williams.
Significantly she is in 1901 census as Mary E Hughes with son William Ll Williams age 6 stepson, both  born Corris she aged 26.
So WLW would have been born in 1894 or last Qtr 1895 but she would have become pregnant in 1894 so William Williams must have died in that year.
If someone can help with details of death or burial/ funeral probably in Corris then it may be possible to sort out which of the many William Williams is the father and provide the lead to his family

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 July 16 09:03 BST (UK) »
The baptismal record,as well as giving Mary Elizabeth,shows the address to be Brynllwyd Farm.In the 1901 census there is a Jane Williams,widow,mother in law amongst the occupants.I suspect she traces back to to be the widow in the 1891 census,ref RG12/4641/55/1 at Aberllefeny(sic) Farm who has a son William Wiliams given born 1868,a slate miner.Seems a reasonable candidate to trace further.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 July 16 09:18 BST (UK) »
I can'tv find a death record that would match that William William's age that casts some doubt on the previous analysis.I'll look again.However,as the baptismal record appears to be for a married couple there is a marriage of Mary Lloyd to William Williams Sept qtr 1894,Dolgellau,to consider as an alternative source.NorthWalesBMD gives it as a civil ceremony,so no online record.

Regards
Roger

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 July 16 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hi

I looked into this last night and found similar info to Roger. I delayed putting it up as I wanted to look further at deaths in local newspapers. This is what I wrote out:

There is a baptism for WLW in Corris 3 April 1895, aged 14 days, living ?Brynllwyd Farm. Mother is Mary Elizabeth Williams.  WW is listed as a Quarryman. No mention if he's dead.
There is a burial of a William Williams 8 July 1894, aged 20, of ?Brynllwyd Farm.   If this WW was WLW father, Mary Elizabeth would have been only a month or so pregnant when he died. I haven't found a marriage

Nothing about the death in the Nat Lib newspaper collection so far.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 July 16 09:41 BST (UK) »
This from the Nat Lib search:

Family Notices

…I { Vi iati a gt a u. Ebrill 25ain, yn swyddfa'r cofrestrydd Dol- gellau, yn mhresenoldeb Mr Thomas Parry, cofrestrydd, Mr Thomas Hughes, Greenfield Ter- race, Corris, a Mrs Mary Elizabeth Williams, Brynllwyd, Corris; y ddau o blwyf Talyllyn. Mai 2fed, drwy drwydded yn nghapet Park Road M.C., Abermaw; gan y Parch Peter Jones- Roberts, gweinidog y Wesleyaid, Mr John Wil- liams, 7 Marine Gardens a…

From   Y Dydd 8/05/1896

Gadget

Added - link to Welsh Newspapers at the Nat Library: http://newspapers.library.wales/
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 July 16 09:41 BST (UK) »
There is a possible match between this

http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3860378/3860383/34/

and the death of a William Williams aged 20 in Dolgelly district Sept Qtr 1894.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 31 July 16 09:46 BST (UK) »
One possible William Williams of that age in the area in the 1891 census is at RG12/4641/85/1.

Regards
Roger