Author Topic: Help transcribing will proved 1658 – William Dwarryhouse of West Derby  (Read 6199 times)

Offline Leo Turner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help transcribing will proved 1658 – William Dwarryhouse of West Derby
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 14 January 21 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gail, Thank you fro your speedy reply. I have just a few Dwarihouse people who were living in the Area in the 17th and 18th century. I am struggling with locating Elizabeth and family. What I do have is  the marriage or Banns for their wedding
John Spencer, Newbrough within Lathom p. Ormeskirke & Elizabeth Dwarihouse, A (Aighburgh)
  25 Sept (1656)
The marriage was in Childwall. The attachment is a copy of the original after I had cleaned it up.These are Dwarihouse people living in the area in the 17th - 18th century

Dwarihouse, Anne, 62, Wife, Garston, (no connection found to any other Dwarihouse)

Dwarihouse, Thomas, 30, Watchmaker, Garston, ( this could be the son of the above Anne, we can only speculate on these connections, as we haven’t found proof)

Dwarihouse, 85, William, Husbandman, Garston, ( this is possibly the father to the William below, as   William below is listed as Jr and they have the same occupation,  the son very often followed the father into the same work)

Dwarihouse, 62, William Jr, Husbandman, Garston, (this William is recorded with the Alice below with two daughters. They are quite old to have youngish children but there could well have been earlier children who have married and moved on or died. Alice would have been 38 when she gave birth to Anne age 7, in these records, which is entirely possible)
Dwaryhouse, Alice, 45, Wife, Garston,
Dwaryhouse, Alice, 9, Daughter, Garston,
Dwaryhouse, Anne, 7, Daughter, Garston,

Dwaryhouse, George, 38, Malster, Garston, ( George is not recorded with a wife but with 3 sons, the older sons could well have been working with their father in their brewery as children were old enough to be working. The Wife and mother could possibly have died at the birth on their youngest son Thomas. George could well have been the older  brother of the above Thomas the Watchmaker and called his youngest son Thomas after his brother, as they were all living in Garston, which at that time was a small village).
Dwaryhouse, James, 11, Son, Garston,
Dwaryhouse, John, 13, Son, Garston,
Dwaryhouse, Thomas, 5, Son, Garston,

Looking at the will of William it's looking more like they all 'possible' come from Bebington. but i'm not making the connection with my Elizabeth anywhere.

Leo

Offline dwarrihouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 14 January 21 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Leo,

You're in luck! I've found something on your Elizabeth. I'm conducting a One Name Study (website launching soon) on the Dwerryhouse family. I've been slowly working through the earliest sources trying to understand the family groups. Yes, it's a very rare name, but even in the 17th and 18th centuries, there were several family groupings. I'm sure that the family originates from the Wrightington area of Lancashire (my earliest sources are mid-13th century). I'm not sure why or when they made their way South to Liverpool, but there are certainly Dwerryhouses in Childwall from the early 1500s.

I'm currently transcribing the will of William Dwarrihouse of Grassendell, within the parish of Childwall (proved 13 Mar 1672, Archdeaconry of Chester Probate Records). It looks like he is the Father or your Elizabeth. I think the will says "I give unto my daughter Elizabeth ... the wife of John Spencer living in Newbrough the sum of forty shillings...".

Leave it with me... I'll get the whole thing transcribed very soon. I think there's some other really useful genealogical clues in there!

Interestingly, in your last post you actually identified one of the family groups (and with a little more time and work, we may find concrete links to your family). It's a group I've found quite a lot of evidence for. William Dwerryhouse (1682-1776 Garston) had 5 children: George, Thomas, Jon, Sarah, Mary and Elizabeth. These are the George and Thomas you refer to. George was the malster and victualler of the Jolly Waterman on Bath Street. Thomas was apprenticed as a watchmaker in 1754. One of his watches is still in the Science Museum:

https://collection.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/objects/co219/pocket-watch-with-silver-inner-case-pocket-watch

More significant though was their brother John Dwerrihouse (1741-1821). Like Thomas, is is apprenticed as a watchmaker in 1755 and moves to London where he runs his business from Berkeley Square until 1821. He was one of the most eminent Georgian watch and clockmakers, supplying Europe's aristocracy. You'll find examples of his highly sought after timepieces in the catalogues of Sotheby's and Christies, as well as in the collections of the British Museum, Science Museum and Royal Collections.

Going back to George, he had several sons, one of whom was John Dwerryhouse (1752-1832), one of the biggest ship builders in Liverpool in the 18th century. He was a known slaver and owned several ships that that made the triangular trans-Atlantic slave voyages (you can see how slaves he transported and how many perished on the Slave Voyages Database). John's brother Thomas was a ship's carpenter aboard the Lord Stanley (another slave vessel) who died in Havana 1794 on a triangular slaving voyage.

It will be fascinating if we can start linking the various parts of the family together! As is always the case when doing genealogical research of this period, one does tend to hit brick walls due to the scarcity of sources, but I keep chiselling away!

All the best,
Jonathan

Offline Leo Turner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 17 January 21 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Jonathan,
Thank you very much for that information. It's much appreciated, I'll look forward to your transcription. Are you a descendent of this same family?  or are you just researching the name?

Leo

Offline dwarrihouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 17 January 21 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Leo,

I'm a Dwerryhouse, but I'm not sure if I'm part of this line (or whether we're all part of the same line going back to Medieval Wrightington). I hit a brick wall with my own family line in the 18th century. Hence I decided to start a One Name Study. I thought that by documenting all the families, I might understand my own!

I'll get the transcription done by the end of the week.

Jonathan

Offline dwarrihouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 30 January 21 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Leo,

My transciprtion of the will of William Dwarrihouse of Grassendell from 13 March 1672 is below (from Lancashire Record Office WCW/Supra/C190B/47). It's quite a useful document, as the marital relationships in the will can be matched to the records of the Childwall Parish Registers.

From the will and the parish registers, we know that William Dwerryhouse was buried on 10 Mar 1672 at All Saints, Childwall, Lancashire, England. His estate was probated on 13 Mar 1672.
He had the following children: Henry, Catherine, Elizabeth, John and Margaret. 
Henry married Ellen Linecar at Childwall, on 6 June 1657.
Catherine married Thomas Fisher at Childwall, on 5 November 1657.
Elizabeth married John Spencer at Childwall, on 25 September 1656.

Hope this helps!

Jonathan

TRANSCRIPTION OF THE WILL OF WILLIAM DWARRIHOUSE HUSBANDMAN OF GRASSENDELL 13 MARCH 1672

In the name of God Amen. The 27 day of January 1664 according to the computation of the Church of England, I William Dwerryhouse of Grossendale within Garston in the county of Lancashire husbandman being of parfit [perfect] memory and remembrance praise be God do make and ordain this my last will and testament in manner and form following: first I bequeathe my soul into the hand of Almighty God my maker hoping that through the meritorious death and passion of Jesus Christ my only saviour and redeemer to receive? free pardon and forgiveness of all my sins and as for my body to be buried in Christian burial in the parish [?] … of Childwall at the discretion of my executors hereafter nominate.

First my will is that my goods be divided into three equal parts, one part for myself another to my wife and other part to my son Henry Dwerryhouse and my son-in-law Thomas Fisher [landing?] living in Digbeth within Garston. A sum I give unto my daughter Elizabeth Spencer [erased ‘living in Newbrough’] the wife of John Spencer living in Newbrough the sum of forty shillings to be paid out of my one part in [lieu?] and discharge of her full and whole child’s part. A sum I give unto my son John [?] Dwerryhouse one cupboard, one box [?] box and one table and three shillings six pence in [lieu?] and discharge of his full [xxx] whole childe part. A sum I give unto my daughter Margaret Dwerryhouse the sum of one shilling. A sum I give to my daughter-in-law Elin Dwerryhouse the sum of one shilling A sum I give unto my daughter Catherine Fisher one shilling. A sum I give unto my daughter Elizabeth Spencer the sum of one shilling. A sum I give unto my grandchild Ann Dwerryhouse a [?] herefor. A sum I give unto my grandchildren every one of them […?...] I [saye?] owing by William Plumb unto me William Dwerryhouse of Gressendell of the sum of five and thirty shillings. A sum all the rest of my goods whatsoever I give unto my son Henry Dwerryhouse and Thomas Fisher upon condition that they shall pay all my debts and legacies and funeral expenses and [?] them executors of this my last will and testament revoking all other wills and testaments.
[?] where of I have [set?]
M [?] and soule [the day and year?]
[?]
BOTTOM PART OF WILL TOO DEGRADED TO DECEIPHER.

Offline Leo Turner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 30 January 21 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jonathan,
Thank you for the will transcription, very interesting and informative.
You mentioned that you have a website, it it accessable by anyone? I would dearly love to have a look at it, I'm just wondering if it's possible to get further back with William and if there is any connection with the slavers?
Leo

Offline Leo Turner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 05 April 21 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Jonathon,
I've not visited this site for a while, I was wondering if your William Dwerihouse of Grassendall research was progressing, did you manage to find a link with the two Williams we discussed? Leo

Offline Leo Turner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 19 September 21 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hello again Gail,
I only do the research periodically due to other commitments. Have you got any further along with the Dwarihouse line, I tried to recontact Jonathon but not got very far. Any additional information would be appreciated.
Best regards
Leo

Offline Leo Turner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 28 December 21 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gail,
I'm trying to contact Jon Dwerrihouse who we were both in touch with last April. do you have any contact details please. I've tried posting to him but have had no reply. Just re-reading the posts! do you have any more information about the Dwarrihouse connection, and are you willing to share it please.
Leo