Author Topic: Help transcribing will proved 1658 – William Dwarryhouse of West Derby  (Read 6192 times)

Offline GailB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Today I came across a PCC will which I am thrilled about because it proves a link with my Dwarihouse family from Bebington, Cheshire and the Dwarihouse family from Childwall and West Derby. I think this will is most likely for the William Dwarihouse who was Mayor of Liverpool 1636-1637. There is no baptism in Bebington for William, but he is certainly my 12x great grandmother’s brother as William mentions his nephew Thomas Sparke of Bebington who was the son of his sister Margery who married John Sparke in Bebington in 1617. Another sister Margaret Dwarihouse married William Wilson in 1611 at Bebington and their son, William’s nephew “John Willson” is mentioned as another nephew.

I have transcribed as much as I can but I am not very good and request help to decipher what I cannot read. I have entered a few words in red which I am guessing but what I can’t transcribed is just dots. There are four pages and I will post each separately.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation

Gail

Page 1

1 … In the name of God Amen
 2 … I William Dwarrihouse of West Derby in the County of Lancaster gentleman
 3 … being sicke and weake of body but of good and perfect memory praised bee god
 4 … therefore doe ordayne and make this my last will and testament in manner
 5 … and forme ffollowinge ffirst and principally I commytt and commend my
 6 … soule into the hands of Almighty god my maker and redeemer assuredly trusting
 7 … in and by the merritts death and passion of my only Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ
 8 … to receive a full and ffree pardon of all my offences And my body I commytt to
 9 … the earth from whence I came to bee interred in the parish church of Walton
10 ... in decent and orderly manner at the discretion of my wife and of other my executors
11 … heerein heerreafter named And for the disposall of my estate reall and personall
12 … my will and minde is as ffolloweth ffirst I heereby will devise grannte and
13 … bequeath all that messuage and tennement with all lands liberties and hereditam[ent]s
14 … in Roby commonly called Childwalle house by mee heeretofore purchased from
15 … Henery Johnson deceased and others unto my nephew John Willson now liveing
16 … with mee and unto his heires and assignes absolutely forever And whereas I lately
17 … purchased from one Thomas Hesketh of little Poulton in the county of Lancaster
18 … Esq[uir]e and others a messuage and tennement in Orrell conteyninge aboute seaven
19 … large acres now occupyed by William Garratt …………….. of Orrell aforesaid and
20 … …………….. yearely rent of twelve shillings ffoure pence issueing out of a messuage
21 … and tennement in the watergate streete in Liverpoole in the holdinge of Mr
22 … …………….. his tennants or assignes I will devise grannte and bequeath the said
23 … messuage and tenement in Orrell aforesaid and all lands liberties and
24 … hereditaments theretobelonginge together with the said rent of twelve shillings
25 … ffoure pence to Thomas Sparke my nephew living in lower Bebington in the
26 … County of Chester and unto his heires and assignes forever nowbeit I doe heereby
27 … declare that my mynde is that if the said William Garratt his heires or assignes doe
28 … within three yeares next after my decease pay or cause to bee paid to my said
29 … newphew Thomas Sparke his heires or assignes the consideration or summe of
30 … money by mee paid for the purchase of the said last mentioned messuage tennem[en]t
31 … or rent together with the summe of twenty pounds by mee paid to as for the said
32 … Garratt and interest or damages for for forbearance of the said severall summes
33 … after the rate of eight pounds …………….. or soe much thereof as my now wife shall
34 … ……………….. and thinke reasonable then my said nephew Thomas Sparke and his
35 … heires to grannte bargaine and sell well and sufficiently the said last mentioned
36 … messuage tenement and rent to the said William Garratt his heires and assignes
37 … forever And I doe hereby will devise grannte and bequeathe all that messuage
38 … and tenement with the appurtenances in Thingwall in the said county of Lancaster
39 … by mee purchased from John Bolton of Thingwall aforesaid and all lands liberties
40 … and hereditaments theretobeloninge conteyninge about twenty two acres
41 … of land of the large measure to the sole onely proper use and beheese of Anne
42 … Dwarryhouse my now wife and of her heires and assignes absolutely forever yet
43 … neverthelesse my will and mynde is that the said John Bolton shall enjoy the said
44 … last mentioned messuage and tennement during his naturall life soe as hee
45 … pay yearely to my said wife or her heires the summe of eight pounds at and upon
46 … every second day of fferuary during the life of the said John Bolton And if
47 … hee the said John Bolton his heires or assignes doe at and upon any second day
48 … of ffebruary dureing the tearme of …… yeares next after my decease pay or

More to follow ...

Moderator comment: regret, RootsChat does not permit the posting of complete archive wills such as this.  You may post small sections which contain the specific words that are causing you difficulties but it must never amount to the complete will.
Armitage, Atherton, Barton, Beck, Bradshaw, Brumfitt, Chetwin, Conalty, Connolly, Connor(s), Davidson, Hilton, Hoey, Johnson, Jones, Knight, Lester, McDonald, Molyneux, Morris, Pownall, Rushton, Spark, Stanley, Tunstall, Welsby, West, Wharton, Williams, Wilson, Windridge, Windstandley

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Help transcribing will proved 1658 – William Dwarryhouse of West Derby
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 July 16 14:53 BST (UK) »
First image:

19.  ...Garratt als Cooke of...                         [als = alias]
20.  a certaine yearely...
22.  Sorocold his tennants...                          [some question over initial letter]
33.  ...eight pound p(er) Cent(um) or soe much...
34.  adiudge and thinke reasonable...             [= adjudge]

ADDED:

48.  ....tearme of tenne...

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Second page:

9.   ...as by Councill learned shall bee...       [= Counsel learned ie a barrister or other legal advisor]
20.  ...yeares yet unspent under the rent...      [ditto in line 30]
42.  whereas I am lawfully...

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Third page:

13.  ...his wife a Silver Cann and to her little daughter a Jewell
  [the word in the margin is little - seems to refer back to the misspelt litle in that line]

27.  ...godsonne William Mossocke fforty...
28.  ...of The Tewbrooke...
42.  ...Robert sonne of Ralph Mercer butcher...

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Fourth page:

2.  ...but they will duely performe the
7.  This will Consistinge of this...
9.  Nevill Raye vic(ar) ^et minister walton^ Thomas Boulton...   [I think]

The Latin in line 5 is something like:

...Anno RYs Caroli nunc Anglie &c vicesimo tertio...

It refers to the twenty third regnal year of King Charles I, being 1647 at the time (Old Style calendar) but 1648 to us now.

ADDED:

I haven't proof-read the remainder of the text.  Obviously there's no red text as it has come out to the web.

Highlight anything you wish to have more closely proofed.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Fourth page:
The Latin in line 5 is something like:

...Anno RYs Caroli nunc Anglie &c vicesimo tertio...

It refers to the twenty third regnal year of King Charles I, being 1647 at the time (Old Style calendar) but 1648 to us now.

Just to confirm ...

... Anno R(egni) R(egi)s Caroli nunc Anglie &c(etera) vicesimo tertio

... in the 23rd year of the reign of King Charles now of England etc. (= 20 February 1647/48).

(I think you will need to remove all the images posted above. Posting complete documents contravenes the copyright restrictions of this site. You're only supposed to post small extracts for deciphering purposes.)

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
There is a Dwerryhouse Lane    and a Dwerryhouse  Street   in Liverpool   to this day.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help transcribing will proved 1658 – William Dwarryhouse of West Derby
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 July 16 22:34 BST (UK) »
...... William Garratt alias Cooke of Orrell aforesaid.......

...........and a certaine yearly rent........

.......holding of Mr Borotold.........

.......after the rate of eight pounds per cent or soe much thereof as my now wife shall adudge and think reasonable..........

'alias' didn't necessarily mean there was anything fishy about him or his name - evidently the term was used to distinguish people specifically.

'Borotold' - I think that's  a 'b' - can't see what else it might be.

the 'p' abbreiviation is a common one for 'per'

Your 'words in red' seem to have disappeared, so if there's any others you want checking sing out. Perhaps just write the sentence in a post with the word in............

Happy hunting!  ;)
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline GailB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Help transcribing will proved 1658 – William Dwarryhouse of West Derby
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 31 July 16 22:50 BST (UK) »
Sorry I didn’t realise as I have seen several wills images posted in their entirety.

Many thanks for your help Goldie it is much appreciated.

As page one is still here I will add the remainder of what I can’t work out.

Page 2

1 … cause to bee paid to my said wife her heires or assignes the summe of two hundred and eight
 2 … poundes of currant English money together with what money my said wife her
 3 … heires or assignes shall disburse or lay out in and aboute the denying of a ffine of the
 4 … said last mentioned messuage and tenement or obtayininge any further assurance
 5 … thereof from the said John Bolton then and in such case my said wife her heires
 6 … and assignes upon the reasonable demand costs and charges in the law of the said
 7 … John Bolton his heires or assignes to regrannte the said last mentioned messuage
 8 … tenement and lands to remayne to the said John Bolton and his issue lawfully
 9 … begotten in such manner as by …………………………………. shall bee reasonabley devised soe
10 ... as in and by the assurance to bee thereof made noe manner of power bee given to
11 … the said John Bolton or his issue lawfully begotten to sell away the same lands or
12 … any part thereof to any person or persons Item whereas I hold certain lands in
13 … Liverpoole and Bootle by lease from John Moore Esq[uir]e for tearme of three hundred
14 … yeares now I doe heereby will devise grannte assigne and sett over to the said
15 … Anne Dwarryhouse my wife and her assignes all and every the lands tennements
16 … and hereditaments in Liverpoole and Bootle aforesaid or either of them which I
17 … hold of the grannte of the said John Moore Esq[uir]e and all my estate interest tearme
18 … and demand of in and unto the same lands in any wise to hold to the said Anne
19 … Dwarryhouse her executors and assignes dureing the remainder of the said tearme
20 … of three hundred yeares …………………….. under the rent of two shillinges reserved
21 … for the same lands Item whereas I hold certaine other lands in Kerkdall Walton
22 … and Ffazakerley of the grannte of the said John Moore Esq[uir]e by lease made for terme
23 … of three hundred yeares by and under the yearely rent of a peppercorne now
24 … my will and mynde is and I doe hereby grannte devise bequeath and assigne
25 … over all and every the lands tennements and hereditaments in Kerkdall Walton
26 … and Ffazakerley aforesaid or any of them which I hold of the grannte of the said
27 … John Moore and all my tearme interest estate and demands of in and unto the
28 … same in any wise unto my executors herein hereafter named and to theire
29 … executors and assignes to hold dureinge all the remainder of the said tearme of
30 … three hundred yeares ………………………….. by and under the said rent of a peppercorne
31 … of intent and purpose onely that my said executors and theire assignes shall
32 … pay over the cleere yearely profits of the said lands as the same shall arise
33 … or the summe which shall bee raised by selling or settinge away for the tearme
34 … before mentioned the said last mentioned lands to such of my natural sisters
35 … and their children lawfully begotten as shall bee liveinge at the tyme of
36 … my death equally amongst them provided nevertheless and my intention is that if
37 … there bee not within seaven yeares next after my death due and true certificates
38 … had of the lives of my sister Elizabeth who went into Ireland and of her children
39 … soe many as shall bee liveinge then and in such case such part of the profits of the
40 … said lands as shall bee due to them by virtue of this my will shall bee equally
41 … divided amongst my other sisters and theire children part and partlike Item
42 … …………….. as I am lawfully seized or possessed to mee and my assignes for tearme
43 … of the lives natural of mee the said William Dwarryhouse and of John Bolton
44 … of Thingwall and for the life of the survivour of us two or for some great number
45 … of yeares determinable thereupon of and in all that messuage and tennement
46 … with the appurtenances in Bebington aforesaid now in the occupation of mee
47 … my undertennants or assignes being of the antient yearely rent of twenty
48 … seaven shillings nine pence or thereabouts now my will and mynde
49 … is and I doe heereby grannte devise bequeath assigne and sett over the same
50 … messuage and tennement and all my estate tearme and demands thereunto
51 … my said executors and theire assignes of intent and purpose onely that
52 … they shall permit and suffer my said natural sisters and their children
Armitage, Atherton, Barton, Beck, Bradshaw, Brumfitt, Chetwin, Conalty, Connolly, Connor(s), Davidson, Hilton, Hoey, Johnson, Jones, Knight, Lester, McDonald, Molyneux, Morris, Pownall, Rushton, Spark, Stanley, Tunstall, Welsby, West, Wharton, Williams, Wilson, Windridge, Windstandley